HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

When popping open a new tin....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:38 pm

Do you gents let it sit for awhile before digging in?

If yes, is it because it has been aging and has to air out a bit? Or do you do it with brand new tins as well?
Or because it is too moist?
Does this apply to all blends or only some of your arsenal?
How long do you let it sit before digging in?

I'm asking because in the past when I have popped tins, they didn't have any age on them and I dug right in. One of the members warned me about an aged tin he sent me He told me to let it sit open for a little while because it ferments a little (he might not have said "ferments" but I feel like I derived the understanding of fermentation from his description if he didnt actually say it).

Anyways, I was thinking about trying some new stuff tonight but didn't want to make myself green by not doing it right!

Thanks for any info gents!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:03 pm

Normally I pop a tin open and go for it. However really it depends on how moist the tobacco is. Too moist I'll let it air out; in general checking every so often to make sure I don't dry it too much.

I'll also pinch out enough for a bowl or two and set it aside on a plate, spreading it out so it dries quicker, if I'm really wanting to try a bowl.

Also, depending on the blend some just need to have some air and are noticeably better after the tin has been opened and the closed again for anything from days, to weeks, to months. How long just depends on the blend I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:16 pm

What Rob just said. It's pretty much a call on how moist/dry you prefer your 'baccy afaic.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:38 pm

Moist tobaccos, I typically air out a bit more because I prefer the majority of the blends I smoke to be a bit on the drier side, although there are exceptions.

The flavor of certain tobaccos, like high quality Virginias will open up a bit more once the tobacco has been aired out some. Almost like decanting a thick bottle of complex red wine.

To really judge whether a tobacco is right for you, I think it's important to try it at different moisture levels. However each manufacturer seems to have a slightly different standard when it comes to moisture content & some are more easy to dig right into. For instance, on average McClelland blends tend to have a higher moisture level than those from C&D, and the McC blends almost always need to be aired out a bit just to aid combustion let alone improve the flavor. Of course, with piping nothing is easy right? I say this because I have found all sorts of exceptions to rules. I have found blends that smoke really well right from a freshly opened tin and seem to burn well and taste great even though they seem to be quite moist.

Solution? keep a journal of your experiences. Make notes about the variables involved in each smoke, tobacco you try, pipe you use, etc.. That way when you have a Zone-Smoke/Zen-like experience or when that perfect tobacco/pipe combo comes along you've got it recorded..  

My last journal entry? GLP Fillmore and my favorite Peterson Bulldog from the 1950's hate each other. Won't do that again.

In time you'll surely find what works best for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:18 pm

If I open a tin and I like the moisture level I smoke it. If it's just a bit too much moisture for me I'll pre dry each bowlful. If the tobacco is generally too moist for me I just close the tin. A closed tin is not a perfect seal normally and the whole contents will be drying. I check on it which will also replace the air and aid drying. When it gets to the perfect moisture or just a touch above I return to my first two methods. However I may jar it at that point to avoid continued moisture loss. John.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:59 pm

Ok, thanks guys! That helps a bit with my general direction Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:06 pm

If I put my stuff in a pouch, I can hit it right away. Fresh out? well, if at home, I have a wood thingy I rest it in and get to it later. Starting my piping with aros taught me I do not enjoy goopy heels.............

Wow, just looking at that sentence makes no sense, unless of course, you are a piper......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:06 pm

My coin tobaccos I load immediately. Most flakes also don't need much drying time if any... Except of course Mcclelland and SG. But if I open something and it appears a good moisture level, I'm loading and lighting!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:28 pm

It basically depends on if it's a blend/mixture I've smoked before or something new I'm trying. For example, my tins of Royal Yacht that I open, no matter how old ( within a decade of age) I'll just pull out a bowl's worth right away and load and go !! As I find out what carachteristics each blend/mixture has when newly opened and jow I like it for smoking is how I approach it. With a new blend/mixture, I usually assess how moist it is and based on the cut and just what the blend/mixture is i.e. straight va, VaPer, Aro etc I alow what I feel is the appropriate drying time if needed. Basically, no hard and fast way for everything. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:53 pm

I have found that often a blend will taste better or fuller after the tin has been open a day or two.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:30 pm

If it's too moist I just dry enough to smoke, but there's something else about a fresh tin that bugs me, and this is where it gets weird.
It just doesn't LOOK right all smashed down in there. It doesn't look HAPPY. Ribbons don't want to be plugs. They want to be free. I can't help but take a big pinch and fluff it up, smelling it and poking it and testing its springiness. I do this until I get THAT feeling. You know the one, when you think Monbla is watching you through the eyes of your taxidermy project. You guys get that, right? At that point I put the lid back on and try not to think about it. Or I just smoke flakes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:35 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
If it's too moist I just dry enough to smoke, but there's something else about a fresh tin that bugs me, and this is where it gets weird.
It just doesn't LOOK right all smashed down in there. It doesn't look HAPPY. Ribbons don't want to be plugs. They want to be free. I can't help but take a big pinch and fluff it up, smelling it and poking it and testing its springiness. I do this until I get THAT feeling. You know the one, when you think Monbla is watching you through the eyes of your taxidermy project. You guys get that, right? At that point I put the lid back on and try not to think about it. Or I just smoke flakes.

tongue Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:40 pm

I live alone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:44 pm

I take out a day or two's worth, rub it out if its a flake or cavendish and let it dry for few hours, usually overnight
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:57 pm

I typically just dig in. Sometimes the tin improves as it is being smoked, so I can believe if you just waited, it would be improved from the first bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Dix Creek

Registration date : 2013-03-28

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:25 pm

Most usually just dive right in, the anticipation kills me! Open it up, drink it in with my nose, pick out a pipe load her up and smoke it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:04 pm

Kaitlyn, you will usually notice that as you are smoking a tin, the flavor just seems to improve as you get closer to the bottom. Like some have already stated, this is from repeated exposure to air entering the tin, and I tend to agree.

As soon as I see I am getting a few weeks away from needing to crack open a new tin, I go ahead and break the seal, and begin exposing the tobacco to air for a few minutes daily. I like to remove the lid and leave it standing open, for at least 7 minutes, but not less than 5. I'm not attempting to dry the tobacco, just to expose it to fresh air. If over time the tobacco starts to dry out, I will mist the inside of the lid with a little water.

Like George, I too am a fluffer. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's clumped up tobacco. Fluffing give the optical illusion that you have double the tobacco, which is always a satisfying result.

Once I complete the initial fluffing, I might let the tin stand open longer than 7 minutes, on the initial exposure to air, just to give it a good head start.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cadfael

Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:12 pm

fsu92john wrote:
I have found that often a blend will taste better or fuller after the tin has been open a day or two.

Even better after a few weeks IMO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:36 pm

I agree that a blend changes after opening. Whether it's better or not depends on what you like . That said, some of the best smokes I've ever had are from tins with one flake left that I had forgotten about completely. 😸

I'll usually try some right away after opening just to get a feel for it at tin moisture level. If it's a flake on the wet side, I'll usually cube it up in to fine bits so it is easier to let an even light. I cut across the flake about the width of the scissors blade. Then I'll make a little grid with a bit of wadded-up flake, and pour the bits over it. Later I'll try it folded, rubbed out, and at varying levels of moisture.  With ribbon cut, just dry it more or less. By about halfway through the tin I've tried it in just about every way possible and can decide how I like it best.

Edit: Also try giving a bowl a charring light and let it sit for a few minutes, then relight. That often brings out a a lot of nuances you might not notice when you light and go.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:24 am

This is awesome! Everyone has their different little ways of doing it! I will certainly try some of these out.

Also, did any of you collect baseball cards as a kid? I did/do and opening a tin of tobacco is like opening a pack of baseball cards. There is so much anticipation! I never know what I'm going to get (that's mostly because I just haven't opened a lot of tins LOL). Every card is unique and feels good in the hand, just like ever tobacco is unique and feels good to touch and smell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
babysinister

Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:48 am

I've found in my own experience that some tobaccos smoke fine right out of the tin, but even then usually with some "airing out" to benefit from the change of oxygen. I've also found however that most tobaccos do improve with some aging. Even the ones that smoke fine out of the tin benefit from some aging, with some exceptions. Those exceptions include many aromatics and some latakia-heavy blends like Penzance. Those who like the latter baccy like to get that fresh hit of latakia that is provided by the contents of a newly opened tin. I prefer it with a little in-jar time myself.

What I do is to scout out recommendations from those who have smoked and reviewed a given blend for what they have to say about moisture out of the tin, whether it's right or not. Most Hearth & Home blends, for example, whether in bulk or tinned, are shipped drier than other brands. I think Russ Ouellette makes a point of doing that. I have a nice little cellar since I've been smoking a pipe for many years now, so I have no problem jarring and aging a blend if need be. If not, I'll smoke a few bowls out of the tin and jar the remaining contents to see how a little aging will affect them. That's the only way to learn, imo. And it's a process of discovery, if you will, that can be fun, really.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:37 pm

Interesting reading all the replies. Our tastes differ, yet we appreciate the same things. I like to consume the tobacco as soon as possible after opening the tin, because, in general, it seems to loose flavor as it stays in the tin and dries. However, I open the tin a few hours before smoking it: just take the lid off for a few seconds and put it right back on. This takes away the sharpness that I would otherwise be found in the first bowl.

By the way, I think blenders (I've read it somewhere, I think from GLP) tin the tobacco with the optimal moisture levels they believe each blend should be smoked at, and this idea has agreed with my taste buds very well. That is not to say that we shouldn't do what we want to do. There is no right or wrong way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
babysinister

Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:38 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
Interesting reading all the replies. Our tastes differ, yet we appreciate the same things. I like to consume the tobacco as soon as possible after opening the tin, because, in general, it seems to loose flavor as it stays in the tin and dries. However, I open the tin a few hours before smoking it: just take the lid off for a few seconds and put it right back on. This takes away the sharpness that I would otherwise be found in the first bowl.

By the way, I think blenders (I've read it somewhere, I think from GLP) tin the tobacco with the optimal moisture levels they believe each blend should be smoked at, and this idea has agreed with my taste buds very well. That is not to say that we shouldn't do what we want to do. There is no right or wrong way.

If you and possibly GLP are right, then Samuel Gawith really wants us to smoke their blends at a very high moisture level indeed, including FVF! Also, some blenders may say that also because they want us to smoke their baccy right away, so we can buy more. There should be no such fear from them. I usually buy three tins at a time of blends I like - one to sample a bit and two others to cellar for a while. Like you, those I do smoke right off a new tin I let air for a short while before sampling. And I agree - to each his own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:25 pm

babysinister wrote:
If you and possibly GLP are right, then Samuel Gawith really wants us to smoke their blends at a very high moisture level indeed, including FVF!  Also, some blenders may say that also because they want us to smoke their baccy right away, so we can buy more.  There should be no such fear from them.  I usually buy three tins at a time of blends I like - one to sample a bit and two others to cellar for a while.  Like you, those I do smoke right off a new tin I let air for a short while before sampling.  And I agree - to each his own.  

Laughing Yes, FVF is indeed a challenge. I still smoke it fresh out of the tin and it works for me, but I do admit it is an exception: I usually fold flakes, but have to rub out FVF. But I'm fully aware that my tastes are quite contrarian in this area of kapnismology.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
balkan_boy

Registration date : 2014-02-17

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:25 pm

There are tobaccos that are best kept moist, and smoked dry. FVF for example.
I open the tin, take out a flake, and close it immediately in order to keep it wet.

Then I rub out the flake, spread it thin across the table or piece of paper to dry for half an hour or so until it reaches the desired dryness level and then I stuff it into my pipe. That way it preserve best all the goodies.
If you dry it in the tin, you're gonna have a bad time.

There are other tobaccos however, (mostly Latakia blends) that are best when left open for a while to catch air and lose some moisture. I like them more on the dry side, so I do that regularly.

Open the tin, sniff it good, leave it open for a while, and then pack. 30 minutes of air can make a lot of difference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

When popping open a new tin....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next