HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

When popping open a new tin....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:59 pm

Something a lot of folks don't consider concerning all this is what the blender is looking at as far as inventory time, shipping time and the retailers shelf time prior to the end users use of the blend. I don't know many folks who want to open a tin of bone dry 'baccy and have to go thru a rehydration exercise prior to being able to smoke what they just bought. As far as how each smoker prefers to prepare and smoke his 'baccy, that is something out of the control of the blender so they have to find a level of compromise to maintain the quality of the product they sell. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:57 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Something a lot of folks don't consider concerning all this is what the blender is looking at as far as inventory time, shipping time and the retailers shelf time prior to the end users use of the blend. I don't know many folks who want to open a tin of bone dry 'baccy and have to go thru a rehydration exercise prior to being able to smoke what they just bought. As far as how each smoker prefers to prepare and smoke his 'baccy, that is something out of the control of the blender so they have to find a level of compromise to maintain the quality of the product they sell. Twisted Evil

indeed........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
balkan_boy

Registration date : 2014-02-17

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:30 am

monbla256 wrote:

With all due respect sir, I think the reason most blends come soaked wet (Sam Gawith for example) is a little bit more trivial. It's not an Alchemy, but there's a magic called water that turns 50 grams of dry tobacco into 100 grams of wet one. Smile you know, $$$$
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:25 pm

balkan_boy wrote:
With all due respect sir, I think the reason most blends come soaked wet (Sam Gawith for example) is a little bit more trivial. It's not an Alchemy, but there's a magic called water that turns 50 grams of dry tobacco into 100 grams of wet one. Smile you know, $$$$

That's certainly one way of looking at it. However, I think the extra moisture content, at least in when it comes to the Sam G. stuff has more to do with the fact that they're tinning the tobacco into containers that often give up the ghost. They know this, but they're not about to change the look of their product for the sake of functionality. We all know what kind of marketing nightmare new labels and containers can create for a company with such a long standing tradition.

Anyway, I can't tell you how many rectangular tins I have had in my cellar that have lost their seal. Hell, Gawith Hoggarth even goes so far as to seal their tobacco in a plastic baggie within the tins to help preserve the content within. The extra moisture isn't such a bad thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:55 pm

You're not kidding, Drums. I've about had it with rectangular tins. I think half the Squadron Leader I've ever bought was sawdust, and I just had a "Penzance mold" scare that actually crossed state lines. (Ask Mr Wizard about that.) Wink

Also:
Dutch wrote:
Like George, I too am a fluffer.

That was so good it needed repeating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:12 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
You're not kidding, Drums. I've about had it with rectangular tins. I think half the Squadron Leader I've ever bought was sawdust, and I just had a "Penzance mold" scare that actually crossed state lines.

Uh, oh. I have a pile of older SL tins in the back of a closet. I don't even want to look.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:20 pm

Oddly enough, I've never had a problem with Petersen's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:37 pm

Come to think of it, all the square tins I've had that lost their seal were from SG. Maybe the elevated moisture content has something to do with it...

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:00 am

Perhaps the seal issue is pressure sensitive, i.e. what was barometric, thermal, altitude, and possible fermentation creating it's own new internal pressure? I get that twist tops have threads that can help hold down a lid better than compression tops, but it's not like the blends get cabin fever and muscle their way out after a time, right?

I would hope also, that they intend all of their tins to be sealed, so there must be some sort of quality control, eh?

BTW....

Got to finally try Penzance.. Pretty yummy stuff I must say, even if it had a rather soft seal....

Thanks again George for the enlightenment!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:12 am

A jeweler once told me that a square or rectangular watch won't seal as well as a round one, as far as waterproofing goes. Don't know if that's relevant to tobacco tins or not, but the only watch I ever had a seal problem with was a nice little square Ebel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
balkan_boy

Registration date : 2014-02-17

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:50 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:

.... so there must be some sort of quality control, eh?

I wouldn't rely on it, knowing that average age of the grandpas employed at SG is somewhere around 80 Smile
Now old folks sure know how to make a good tobacco, it just comes with years and experience, but not so sure about the tin sealing though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:20 am

I haven't had too bad of luck with tin seals. But the one that sticks out is a tin of Squadron Leader that had appeared as though it was packed on the surface of Mars. It was parched to say the least. On the other hand, I've recently bought several vintage SG tins with no problem but every St Bruno tin they had in the vintage bin at the same store had a seal that called it quits long ago. Crapshoot, I guess.

Ps, I tried to find the thread where it was recommended to me to try Commonwealth but I haven't yet. Anyways, Commonwealth obtained.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:19 pm

So this thread prompted me to do a tin check this afternoon. It's been some time since I have gone through my stash of vacuum sealed tobacco tins. The result of my inspection?  Four rectangular tins and one cylindrical needed to be jarred up. The culprits? Two older S. Gawith's, one G&H and Two older Germain's (Brown Flake and Dorchester). Two of the tins a Penzance and some Gawith & Hoggarth Rum Flake might require rehydration. The others were fine, but needed to be jarred up.  Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: When popping open a new tin....   Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:13 pm

As far as tins go,in the past I usually smoked most of my 'baccy "fresh" from the tin and found that either the round of rectangular/square European tins worked fine for the amount of time it took to smoke their contents. So far, the round screw down European tins I've had in "storage" the last few years I've had no problems with. (I should say most are Dunhill, Presbyterian, GSF and Erinmore and the few square/rectangular are Erinmore and GSF and no problems with theirs either. It goes without saying I've Never had ANY problems with the round ring-pull style of tins the US blenders favor. JMHE Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

When popping open a new tin....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2