HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:56 pm

Planes I took to the flying field today:
1. Great Planes - Electrostik (old thrasher)
2. Eflite - Rare Bear (speedy)
3. Great Planes - Cub 40 (the old girl)

Had a good day, good visit with several others at the field, and several good flights. Cub needed a little more tuning, but good to go now. All came home in one piece, and no damages to report.

52.75" Wingspan (That's a reflection on the wing, not an indention)

34.6" Wingspan (100+mph capable)

76.5" Wingspan (Danged ole 4-stroke glow engines)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:23 pm

I like that one in the middle!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:38 pm

Looks like a helluva good time to me.

Cool 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:59 pm

Nice drones!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:01 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
I like that one in the middle!

That Rare Bear is a great little plane.
Problem is = it's get real small, really quick if you open up the throttle.

On a good dive it was clocked at 107 mph (I put a slightly larger prop on it).
Slow it down and it's as smooth as silk and flies like a dream.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:05 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Looks like a helluva good time to me.

It is - unless someone has a mishap and has to haul one home in a black plastic bag (to contain all the pieces).  Crying or Very sad

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Nice drones!

Nah, the Rare Bear is the only new one (bought this summer).
The other 2 are much older. The Cub was purchased well-used and the Electrostik was recovered by me in the woods.  The owner said I could have it if I wanted to wade through the thorn patches to get to it.  Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:49 pm

Real neat stuff Rob Wink , I use to build model airplanes when I was very young but, never had one with an engine. Had a "57" Chevy funny car with a gas engine but, that's it.
Rubber band flyer was as close as I could get but, always wished I had a Corsair or a B-29 to fly.
Probably good I didn't cause not having the experience I would have come home in tears and, as you say, a black plastic bag full. 5)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:18 pm

At 100 MPH I'd think taking time to sneeze could be disastrous. What fuel are you using?

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:05 pm

mark wrote:
At 100 MPH I'd think taking time to sneeze could be disastrous. What fuel are you using?

Believe it or not, Mark, the Rare Bear is electric. An oversized motor and 4-cell Lipo battery (14.8v) makes it a screamer. Average of 7-minute flight time, but can be more if you fly it conservatively.

Electrostik is electric also, but the Cub is gas. It uses a 10% nitro fuel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Real neat stuff Rob Wink , I use to build model airplanes when I was very young but, never had one with an engine. Had a "57" Chevy funny car with a gas engine but, that's it.
Rubber band flyer was as close as I could get but, always wished I had a Corsair or a B-29 to fly.
Probably good I didn't cause not having the experience I would have come home in tears and, as you say, a black plastic bag full. 5)

That happens, Ron. Some come out there and ask for help. Others, that don't ask for help, watch a few youtube videos and think they know it all. Watching their $300 plane turn into a pile that will fit into 2 grocery bags in a matter of seconds - they either ask for help the next time or just don't come back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:21 pm

Very cool RC's Rob! Back when I was a kid, there was an engineer who lived across the street, who built balsa nitro planes. I was always fascinated watching him taxi one around the driveway upon completion.

I've watched some of the you tube vids of the more modern electric versions, and they make it look simple, but I bet it's easy to crash without some much needed skills.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:23 pm

Those are some really neat fly birds ya got there Rob!! made some balsa gliders back in my early teens but couldn't afford the motor powered ones !! But I'd always go and watch with amazement the RC boys and their birds !! Nice stuff !! Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puffer Mark

Registration date : 2014-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)   Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:09 am

Great planes. Always wanted to get into this hobby. Agree with Ron. Love to have some old warbirds. A Mark IX Spit and a P51 for me, I think. Second thought, throw in a 'Jug' for good measure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)   Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:46 am

Dutch wrote:
I've watched some of the you tube vids of the more modern electric versions, and they make it look simple, but I bet it's easy to crash without some much needed skills.

Actually there is a beginner's plane called the 'Eflite Apprentice' with what they call 'SAFE' technology that almost allows a newcomer to the hobby to fly on their own. Very little instruction is required to successfully fly this plane, and it's a great building platform.  You can actually watch a couple hours worth of youtube videos (on learning to fly RC) and then successfully go fly this thing. Technology really has come that far.

monbla256 wrote:
Those are some really neat fly birds ya got there Rob!!  made some balsa gliders back in my early teens but couldn't afford the motor powered ones !! But I'd always go and watch with amazement the RC boys and their birds !! Nice stuff !! Smile Smile

Hey - it's never too late.  I know for sure there is a flying club in your area, or at least not far from it. BTW- i've got several other planes, but I can only haul just so many at a time in the Avalanche. Smile

Last edited by Rob_In_MO on Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)   Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:52 am

Puffer Mark wrote:
Great planes. Always wanted to get into this hobby. Agree with Ron. Love to have some old warbirds. A Mark IX Spit and a P51 for me, I think. Second thought, throw in a 'Jug' for good measure.

Warbirds are a lot of fun, but the RC versions have most of the same characteristics (good and bad) that the real ones had.  Everyone wants to start off with warbirds or 'cool' planes, but a good Trainer is the only way to get started.  If you think about it - military pilots don't start out with F-14's or high-performance jets.  They start out with trainer versions as well, so it's a logical progression.

That specific model I mentioned to Dutch in the above-post  is a great way to get into the hobby.  You can actually watch a couple hours worth of youtube videos (on learning to fly RC) and then successfully go fly this thing. Technology really has come that far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1