HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Jim's MacBaren HH Pure Virginia Review.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Jim's MacBaren HH Pure Virginia Review.   Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:55 pm

The red Virginia in this flake is fairly tangy, dried dark fruit sweet with a little earth, and is the star component. There are streaks of bright flue cured Virginia that offer some citrus and an ample amount of grass and hay. The brown Virginia is earthy sweet. The description emphasizes the grassiness, but I think the earthiness is a touch more noticeable. It doesnít have much complexity, though the contrasting flavors of the Virginias are melded together by the hot pressing, which is responsible for a slight fermented sweetness in the flake. There is a slight sour note here and there, which I tend to notice a shade more after the half way point, but I donít find it distracting. Has a mild nic-hit. Like other flakes in the HH series, it breaks apart very easily, and is moist, but not overly so. Whether or not you decide to dry it any speaks to personal preference, but itís good to go as it is. Burns well with minimal relights, and sports a consistent flavor that never weakens. Has no harsh spots and wonít bite, though I recommend a slow to moderate smoking cadence for best effect. Leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl, and the red Virginia after taste lingers a little. Has a sweet room note. Itís an easy going all day smoke, mild to medium in strength and taste, though the sweetness tends to push the taste level to the medium threshold.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Jim's MacBaren HH Pure Virginia Review.   Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:27 pm

Thanks for another great review Jim. I'm anxious to get this one in a pipe!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Jim's MacBaren HH Pure Virginia Review.   Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:35 pm

Thanks Jim.. Sounds like an interesting smoke. I might nab a 50g tin just to satisfy my curiosity. I love the HH stuff. I am however epically bummed out about the Mac B. price adjustment. Dark Twist Roll Cake and ODF are staples of mine. I am just glad that I stocked up a while ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Jim's MacBaren HH Pure Virginia Review.   Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:41 am

Thanks for another great review Jim. I just had a few tins delivered yesterday and smoked three bowls today. My experience so far is very similar to what you describe. I agree that it is a fine all day smoke and I'm looking forward to the next bowl, which is always a good sign.
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
lestrout

Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Jim's MacBaren HH Pure Virginia Review.   Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:38 am

At Morley's I had my first bowl of this fine flake. Jinx's writeup mirrors my thinking - I guess the specific red VAs give this more depth and tang than other favorites like Dunhill (Light) Flake and Capstan Gold. It seems to be fuller than other faves like F&T Vintage and JA Luxury Flake but not as much as Capstan Navy (Blue) and F&T CVP. Sutliff #507c Virginia Slices, Iwan Ries Virginia Flake, Boswell's Virginia Slice, and Peretti's Boston Slices seems just a tad fuller. Among all these, I have pretty much demoted Astley's No. 109, Esoterica Peacehaven and SG Golden Glow (prev. Medium VA Flake) out of the Top200 Cellar. This group (except maybe for Capstan Navy) don't seem to deepen much with age, so I think the demotions will be permanent.

hp
les
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Jim's MacBaren HH Pure Virginia Review.   Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:55 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Thanks Jim.. Sounds like an interesting smoke. I might nab a 50g tin just to satisfy my curiosity. I love the HH stuff. I am however epically bummed out about the Mac B. price adjustment. Dark Twist Roll Cake and ODF are staples of mine. I am just glad that I stocked up a while ago.

Looks like SP has a sale going on right now until the end of the month for the HH Pure Virginia. Price point is about what one would expect normally too-

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mac-baren/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=185198

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mac-baren/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=185200

[*]10% off ALL Mac Baren tobacco (both tinned and bulk) until the end of the month.

[*]

HTH and hope the links work. I'm pretty clumsy when it comes to posting this kind of stuff. If it doesn't you can go to their website-

www.smokingpipes.com

(no affiliation btw)

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Jim's MacBaren HH Pure Virginia Review.   Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:58 pm

I picked up a generous sample of this blend at the NOLA show and really enjoyed it. I don't like a complex VA (think OGS) and this one really fits the bill and the nic-level is right in my wheel house. I haven't seen this tinned at any of my stop-shops, so I guess I'll have to order some tins. Great job nailing the specs on that right-up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Jim's MacBaren HH Pure Virginia Review.   Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:12 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:

Word to the mother. Proud numbers on the prices...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Jim's MacBaren HH Pure Virginia Review.   Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:33 am

Thanks for another informative review Jim!

I'm going to have to try this one. I'm batting 1000 on MacB HH offerings, I haven't tried one yet that I didn't like a lot.

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Jim's MacBaren HH Pure Virginia Review.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1