HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Richard Burley

avatar

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:01 am

DrT999 wrote:
...I personally think the best of the matches to it (or at least my favorite) is 4 noggins' Painter Hills, for any who might be interested

I've got to try PH, then. Revelation is my favorite type of blend, but I like the clones just as well as the original(s). Thanks for the recommendation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Moderator
avatar

Age : 70
Location : Oregon City
Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:28 am

Mine arrived as well...thanks so much.


I love a little hydro project! Will play with it a bit...take it slow.

___________________


Edit: Um.. Opened the bag...it's totally fine. Soft and slightly moist feeling...but not overly so at all. All in all, about ideal.

Why are guys rehydrating again?

_________________
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Falls Church, Virginia
Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:11 pm

Blackhorse wrote:


Edit: Um.. Opened the bag...it's totally fine. Soft and slightly moist feeling...but not overly so at all. All in all, about ideal.

Why are guys rehydrating again?

Maybe yours spent the night on the loading dock up there and that's all it needed! jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:53 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Mine arrived as well...thanks so much.


I love a little hydro project! Will play with it a bit...take it slow.

___________________


Edit: Um.. Opened the bag...it's totally fine. Soft and slightly moist feeling...but not overly so at all. All in all, about ideal.

Why are guys rehydrating again?

Interesting . . . I agree that yours must have sat in some damp conditions along the way!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
Blackhorse
Moderator
avatar

Age : 70
Location : Oregon City
Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:01 pm

Honestly, I doubt that much moisture would have permeated the sealed baggie inside a sealed and lined mailing envelope.

But it's pretty unmistakable. Absolutely no dryness or crispy aspect at all. Zero.

Weird. Spooky.

Uh Oh! Maybe some seasonal magic!

_________________
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:08 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Honestly, I doubt that much moisture would have permeated the sealed baggie inside a sealed and lined mailing envelope.

But it's pretty unmistakable. Absolutely no dryness or crispy aspect at all. Zero.

Weird. Spooky.

Uh Oh! Maybe some seasonal magic!
Well, it may have been very dry (for my tastes), but it wasn't quite crispy! I think I even said it wasn't quite beyond where I know some people like to smoke their blends.  In any case, I hope you all enjoy your taste of (fairly recent) past
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
kaitlyn3837

avatar

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:40 pm

I finally had a day off and was able to get to the PO. First sniff through the bag grew some hair on my chest (my wife is gonna be mad at you!). Just kidding. Did anyone else pick up some spice? I haven't smoked it yet but the fragrance gave me some serious spicy notes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:16 pm

kaitlyn3837 wrote:
I finally had a day off and was able to get to the PO. First sniff through the bag grew some hair on my chest (my wife is gonna be mad at you!). Just kidding. Did anyone else pick up some spice? I haven't smoked it yet but the fragrance gave me some serious spicy notes.

I generally think of it more as dried dark fruit over the Kentucky and slight hint of Latakia, but that could just be me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:29 pm

It could be considered 'spicy', I thought the bite was the burley to my tongue though.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:45 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
It could be considered 'spicy', I thought the bite was the burley to my tongue though.....

True, burleys do form the basis of the blend
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:45 am

I think the burleys do contribute to the spice, considering it's the same spice note I have noticed in other HoW blends. I must say that this batch of Revelation is one of four different samples of HoW I have smoked over the years. The others were never much good. It's common knowledge that HoW had quality control problems, especially in their last years. I've heard people tell me that they liked Revelation, and I just was unlucky not to get a decent version. This is the first good version of HoW Revelation that I have smoked. Sure is nice to finally be able to say that!! Very Happy 

Thank you for the sample, Dr. T!! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPUD 15

avatar

Age : 70
Location : Winter Springs Florida
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:55 am

Thanks doc mine was crispy dry and I am re-hydrating now. Had some that was dry and it did have a bit of bite to it, will try again in a few days. MIKE THANKS AGAIN DOC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:33 pm

SPUD 15 wrote:
Thanks doc mine was crispy dry and I am re-hydrating now.  Had some that was dry and it did have a bit of bite to it, will try again in a few days.   MIKE   THANKS AGAIN DOC

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
DrumsAndBeer

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:55 pm

I smoked this last night and I thought it was fantastic. Seriously, one of the best smokes I have had in months.

I re-hydrated my sample, but only a wee bit.

Excellent slightly sweet musty flavor with a subtle smokiness coming from the latakia. Overall it has a fairly rich flavor profile and there's some substantial spiciness coming from the perique too.

The musty flavor reminds me of GLP Barbary Coast, brandy/plum wine topping maybe?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Falls Church, Virginia
Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:27 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I smoked this last night and I thought it was fantastic. Seriously, one of the best smokes I have had in months.

I re-hydrated my sample, but only a wee bit.

Excellent slightly sweet musty flavor with a subtle smokiness coming from the latakia. Overall it has a fairly rich flavor profile and there's some substantial spiciness coming from the perique too.

The musty flavor reminds me of GLP Barbary Coast, brandy/plum wine topping maybe?

Maybe you liked it so much because it hadn't the time to absorb that California Wildfire Marinade! I jest but can't get that idea out of my head since you mentioned it awhile ago. Enjoy, be safe all our Californian brothers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:35 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I smoked this last night and I thought it was fantastic. Seriously, one of the best smokes I have had in months.

I re-hydrated my sample, but only a wee bit.

Excellent slightly sweet musty flavor with a subtle smokiness coming from the latakia. Overall it has a fairly rich flavor profile and there's some substantial spiciness coming from the perique too.

The musty flavor reminds me of GLP Barbary Coast, brandy/plum wine topping maybe?

I've always thought it was plum or something similar
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
DrumsAndBeer

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:48 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
Maybe you liked it so much because it hadn't the time to absorb that California Wildfire Marinade! I jest but can't get that idea out of my head since you mentioned it awhile ago. Enjoy, be safe all our Californian brothers.

Either that, our my sinuses have finally cleared up. Cooler air at night around here also helps.

Yeah, this season was a horrendous one for wildfires. The Sacramento valley air quality was wretched for a solid two months. I know a gentleman up in Lake County CA, that lost his entire business, burnt down to a concrete slab.

DrT999 wrote:
I've always thought it was plum or something similar

Yeah, that's been my impression with most of the "homage" blends as well.. Thanks again for the generous sample Dr.T. I think I might have enough here to actually write an accurate review of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Falls Church, Virginia
Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:57 pm

I definitely started by cracking jokes by want to say clearly that my heart aches for anyone that lost their lives/loved ones, homes, or jobs/businesses. That's all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:21 pm

Because this version of Revelation was good, much more so than the other times I tried it, I edited my review if anyone cares to check it out. http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1219#review51081

DrumsandBeer just wrote a good review that I also recommend reading.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation   Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:10 pm

Glad you guys have enjoyed it! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
 
HoW (House of Windsor) Revelation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Lee Windsor's on the Sicily Campaign
» Creator of House Mouse
» Welcome to the nut-house
» Inside the house of horror
» Looking for donations in WINDSOR, ONTARIO

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: