HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Old Nate
Not Really Old
avatar

Age : 34
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:54 pm

After most of a tin of DDNR I've come to the conclusion IMO that it is definitely not the same as Escudo. While the DDNR is an okay smoke, it is nowhere near as sweet as Escudo and the perique is much harder for me to detect and it's a little more harsh and gets slightly acrid if pushed. Escudo gives me a nice plum, fig, dark fruit flavor that I just don't get from the DDNR. And the perique/virginia ratio is just perfect in Escudo!

So, at a cheaper price and better taste, it's Escudo for me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

avatar

Age : 39
Location : Asheville NC
Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:38 pm

I enjoy both when I have it, but I will buy escudo over dnr for the most part unless I get a deal on dnr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:46 pm

Interesting thoughts Nate.

As baccy is so expensive in Blighty I tend to do a fair bit of reading before I commit to a new blend. In the build up to purchasing a couple of tins from Dunhill (my first from their stable) I came across lots of opinions that suggest that DNR and Escudo are actually one and the same. Who knows scratch However, from your description Nate Escudo sounds the nicer smoke...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Falls Church, Virginia
Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:25 pm

Glad to hear you got to do a comparison Nate. I'm pretty sure I've heard some of those points elsewhere so I'd say you're on point. I'm not an avid smoker in this genre, the superior VaPer according to me is aged Haddo's and that's not nearly a pure VaPer. But I continue to prefer DDNR to Escudo. I also prefer VaPer medallions with the Cavendish core to both of these so take my opinion for what it's worth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:31 pm

I enjoy both Escudo and DDNR. Although at the price point I reach for Escudo more. One of my old favorite VaPers.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Old Nate
Not Really Old
avatar

Age : 34
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:26 pm

I feel for you, Stick. Some of those prices must be hard to swallow over there across the pond. Honestly, I went into this fully expecting the DDNR to be the sweeter, more luxurious and richer smoke, but in my humble experiences it was exactly the opposite.

Just some of my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:04 pm

I like both if the truth be known but, I like Escudo more because, and I know Jim won't agree with me but, oh well, DDNR has a grassier taste then Escudo and Escudo in my opinion is smoother and richer. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
I like both if the truth be known but, I like Escudo more because, and I know Jim won't agree with me but, oh well, DDNR has a grassier taste then Escudo and Escudo in my opinion is smoother and richer. Wink

Yeah, we don't agree, but that's all right. I know you haven't been right since that butterfly kicked you in the head affraid , so I forgive you. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
avatar

Age : 34
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:39 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
I like both if the truth be known but, I like Escudo more because, and I know Jim won't agree with me but, oh well, DDNR has a grassier taste then Escudo and Escudo in my opinion is smoother and richer. Wink

Cart, that sums it up perfectly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:11 pm

JimInks wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
I like both if the truth be known but, I like Escudo more because, and I know Jim won't agree with me but, oh well, DDNR has a grassier taste then Escudo and Escudo in my opinion is smoother and richer. Wink

Yeah, we don't agree, but that's all right. I know you haven't been right since that butterfly kicked you in the head affraid , so I forgive you. lol!

Yeah but, that Butterfly was wear'en size 13 double "E's"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:29 am

Old Nate wrote:
I feel for you, Stick. Some of those prices must be hard to swallow over there across the pond. Honestly, I went into this fully expecting the DDNR to be the sweeter, more luxurious and richer smoke, but in my humble experiences it was exactly the opposite.

Just some of my thoughts.

Mate, it's painful.  That tin of DNR cost me a tinch over 22 USDs. Makes you appreciate it all the more though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
old_salt

avatar

Age : 66
Location : California Wine Country
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:26 am

Have you guys noticed any change in the taste of Escudo after STG
took over production? I'm still working on AC Petersen stock from 2008.
Just wondering, that when the stash runs out, the new version won't measure up?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:44 am

old_salt wrote:
Have you guys noticed any change in the taste of Escudo after STG
took over production?  I'm still working on AC Petersen stock from 2008.
Just wondering, that when the stash runs out, the new version won't measure up?

See'en that I didn't have a stash at the time I noticed it a couple of years ago, I think in 2013
if memory serves me right. I find letting it breath after opening a tin for a day improves it a bit.
Though it will never be the same as it once was at least it's still a half way decent smoke. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
juanmedusa

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Falls Church, Virginia
Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:37 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
old_salt wrote:
Have you guys noticed any change in the taste of Escudo after STG
took over production?  I'm still working on AC Petersen stock from 2008.
Just wondering, that when the stash runs out, the new version won't measure up?

See'en that I didn't have a stash at the time I noticed it a couple of years ago, I think in 2013
if memory serves me right. I find letting it breath after opening a tin for a day improves it a bit.
Though it will never be the same as it once was at least it's still a half way decent smoke. Wink

What's your favorite Escudo pipe, Ron?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:45 am

juanmedusa wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
old_salt wrote:
Have you guys noticed any change in the taste of Escudo after STG
took over production?  I'm still working on AC Petersen stock from 2008.
Just wondering, that when the stash runs out, the new version won't measure up?

See'en that I didn't have a stash at the time I noticed it a couple of years ago, I think in 2013
if memory serves me right. I find letting it breath after opening a tin for a day improves it a bit.
Though it will never be the same as it once was at least it's still a half way decent smoke. Wink

What's your favorite Escudo pipe, Ron?

Oh Hell I don't know, most of my morning rotation smoke it rather well.
Would be hard to choose the best one sir. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:19 pm

old_salt wrote:
Have you guys noticed any change in the taste of Escudo after STG
took over production?  I'm still working on AC Petersen stock from 2008.
Just wondering, that when the stash runs out, the new version won't measure up?

I noticed a difference. The Virginias have a little less depth than they did before. The Virginias remind me of the kind Stokkebye uses, more grassy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lestrout



Location : Chester County, PA
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls   Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:27 am

Can anyone vouch for Escudo via Cope's vs. the A&C Petes? Although I treasure the one bowl of 50YO Cope's I had at a NYC PC picnic, I get the impression, age aside, that the move from Cope's was an improvement, at least for an iteration or 2. This recipe(s) seems to be more greatly affected by age than most Virginias.

hp
les
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
 
Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Royal Canadian Navy Officers Sword
» Glengarry, Navy Colour
» royal canadian navy MKII sell
» Royal Canadian Navy
» Canada Militia London Colt Navy Revolver

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: