HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A New Pen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: A New Pen   Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:27 pm

After using a friends Sailor Fountain Pen with it's wonderfully soft. smooth 14k nib I had to get one for myself. It's a nicely made mid sized pen in a Mont Blanc-ish style, in fact it's nearly identical to my 1948 Danish MB 216 in color and size. It's a cartridge/convertor filler and the convertor holds quite a bit of ink so allows you the wider variety of colors of bottled ink to use. I got the MF nib as Japanese nibs are slightly smaller than US or European nibs. Here's some of the sellers pics:

Last edited by monbla256 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:30 am

I love the large 1911 pens. They feel great in the hands and write better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:11 pm

tarheel7734 wrote:

You have larger hands than I do and those have 21k nibs as I recall which I tried and were to soft for my style of writing so the 14k nibs write better ! Twisted Evil Everyone has different OPINIONS Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:21 pm

monbla256 wrote:
tarheel7734 wrote:

You have larger hands than I do and those have 21k nibs as I recall which I tried and were to soft for my style of writing so the 14k nibs write better ! Twisted Evil Everyone has different OPINIONS Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

No, they don't. I disagree.  Laughing

Man, that's a pretty pen! I'm not even "into" pens, but that looks so cool. Looks like something I'd buy just to have, if anyone can relate to such depravity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:28 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
tarheel7734 wrote:

So what is YOUR EXPERIENCE with these Sailor pens and YOUR OPINION? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:31 pm

monbla256 wrote:
tarheel7734 wrote:

Probably. Anything thinner than a large 1911 is too small and gives me cramps. I like the mb146, m800, 1911 large as they seem to feel good. I also like big juicy fat lines. Any way you go Sailor make great pens. We each prefer something different.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:46 pm

tarheel7734 wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
tarheel7734 wrote:

Probably. Anything thinner than a large 1911 is too small and gives me cramps. I like the mb146, m800, 1911 large as they seem to feel good. I also like big juicy fat lines. Any way you go Sailor make great pens. We each prefer something different.

I have a 1950 MB Diplomat ( what the 149 Miesterstuck was called then) and a Souverain M1000 and Omas Paragon and though they are gorgeous pens and write beautifully, for my daily use in and out of a shirt pocket and daily writing , for me, they are just TOO big!! I use them as "desk" pens when I use them. The mid-sized Sailor works better for my daily needs. It's about the same size as my MB 256 from the '50s which is one of my fave MBs for daily use. JMHO Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Note: I don't post the cap with the above mentioned pens when I use them as for my hand, they just get TOO big !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:50 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
tarheel7734 wrote:

So what is YOUR EXPERIENCE with these Sailor pens and YOUR OPINION? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

"They's" antecedent was "everyone," not "nibs." Reread, or better yet, forget it. I have to go away now and concentrate on sorting my lint collecton.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:53 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
tarheel7734 wrote:

"They's" antecedent was "everyone," not "nibs." Reread, or better yet, forget it. I have to go away now and concentrate on sorting my lint collecton.

Are we having a bad day Richard ? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:26 pm

Tremendous looking pen there Michael. I bet it writes like a dream.

I see it has a screw thread for the cap. Is this something you prefer over a press fit like the Parker Sonnet? I've never had a screw thread but do enjoy the convenience of the press fit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:38 pm

Stick wrote:

I see it has a screw thread for the cap.  Is this something you prefer over a press fit like the Parker Sonnet?  I've never had a screw thread but do enjoy the convenience of the press fit.

I really have no preference as with the number of pens in my collection, I have both kinds of caps. One thing to get in the habit of though, when handed a pen that you DON'T KNOW which type of cap it has, ALWAYS try to unscrew it first and when it becomes obvious it is not threaded, THEN pull it off !! Early in my collecting I learned this the hard way as I started my collecting with Parker 51's with their smooth slip fit caps and when I got my first Parker Vacumatic, I almost striped the threads on the cap trying to do as I did with my 51's Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Last edited by monbla256 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:36 pm

Michael, that is a nice looking pen!

The way you are looking at me, makes me hesitate to comment further. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:53 pm

I have a Sailor 1911M in mandarin yellow and a Medium nib.  Really nice pen.  I also have a 1960's Sailor pocket pen with an 21k fine nib.  Both are really good writers, but the pocket pen is picky on ink. You should enjoy that Sailor.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:40 pm

Carlos wrote:
I have a Sailor 1911M in mandarin yellow and a Medium nib.  Really nice pen.  I also have a 1960's Sailor pocket pen with an 21k fine nib.  Both are really good writers, but the pocket pen is picky on ink.  You should enjoy that Sailor.

Sometimes it's hard to let a line like that go... Wink Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:53 pm

Simple Man wrote:
Carlos wrote:
I have a Sailor 1911M in mandarin yellow and a Medium nib.  Really nice pen.  I also have a 1960's Sailor pocket pen with an 21k fine nib.  Both are really good writers, but the pocket pen is picky on ink.  You should enjoy that Sailor.

Sometimes it's hard to let a line like that go... Wink Laughing

There's always one in every crowd Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:24 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Stick wrote:

I see it has a screw thread for the cap.  Is this something you prefer over a press fit like the Parker Sonnet?  I've never had a screw thread but do enjoy the convenience of the press fit.

I really have no preference as with the number of pens in my collection, I have both kinds of caps. One thing to get in the habit of though, when handed a pen that you DON'T KNOW which type of cap it has, ALWAYS try to unscrew it first and when it becomes obvious it is not threaded, THEN pull it off !! Early in my collecting I learned this the hard way as I started my collecting with Parker 51's with their smooth slip fit caps and when I got my first Parker Vacumatic, I almost striped the threads on the cap trying to do as I did with my 51's Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Mm, good point Michael. I wouldn't have considered that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:24 pm

That's a might pretty pen there ya got, bet ya coulda bought a shit load of crayons for the price. Wink
Oh, and make sure ya don't poke your eye out with that thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:48 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
That's a might pretty pen there ya got, bet ya coulda bought a shit load of crayons for the price. Wink

You're STILL buying Crayons? You know they are now made in China ? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:12 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

You're STILL buying Crayons? You know they are now made in China ? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I only buy American made. Wink
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:44 pm

You pen guys must have practiced cursive writing back in grade school. Making the loops just perfect and uniform, just the right sloping curve. Pages and pages of practice. Guess I always thought this was chicks did. My late Mom had great handwriting.

Me, I could never get it. Always made extra loops, extra letters, and the curvature was anything but uniform. So I resigned myself to block printing, which was primitive but at least could be read!

Still print to this day. At times my writing hand and my brain seem to be disconnected. I'll skip letters unless I go slow, and even that's no guarantee. Much like my typing, which is mostly one finger.

Surprised 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:48 pm

Brewdude wrote:
You pen guys must have practiced cursive writing back in grade school. Making the loops just perfect and uniform, just the right sloping curve. Pages and pages of practice. Guess I always thought this was chicks did. My late Mom had great handwriting.

Me, I could never get it. Always made extra loops, extra letters, and the curvature was anything but uniform. So I resigned myself to block printing, which was primitive but at least could be read!

Still print to this day. At times my writing hand and my brain seem to be disconnected. I'll skip letters unless I go slow, and even that's no guarantee. Much like my typing, which is mostly one finger.

Surprised 

Cheers,

RR

Hell BD, they stopped teaching cursive in school so there only be a handful of us old guys who'll be able to read it anyway. Wink
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:26 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Surprised 

Cheers,

RR

Hell BD, they stopped teaching cursive in school so there only be a handful of us old guys who'll be able to read it anyway. Wink

Cool! Kind of like a secret code when we get in an old folks home. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:46 pm

Simple Man wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Surprised 

Cheers,

RR

Cool! Kind of like a secret code when we get in an old folks home.  Laughing

Yeah, We can pass notes and nurse Ratched will never be the wiser. Wink
Back to top Go down
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:54 pm

Brewdude wrote:

Surprised 

Cheers,

RR

We learned to print in 1st and 2nd grade and by the 3rd grade we were learning to "write" as it was called back in the early '50s. I had never heard the term "cursive" till my daughter was in grade school back in the mid '70s. I worked as an architectural draftsman and printed for the first 20 years when I was drawing on the board, but only used the 'puter for all drawing work the last 20 years so the 'puter did all my printing!! I still "write" with other pen collectors by snail mail around the world so I keep my "hand" up writing wise !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: A New Pen   Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:11 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Surprised 

Cheers,

RR

We learned to print in 1st and 2nd grade and by the 3rd grade we were learning to "write" as it was called back in the early '50s. I had never heard the term "cursive" till my daughter was in grade school back in the mid '70s. I worked as an architectural draftsman and printed for the first 20 years when I was drawing on the board, but only used the 'puter for all drawing work the last 20 years so the 'puter did all my printing!! I still "write" with other pen collectors by snail mail around the world so I keep my "hand" up writing wise !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Your right Monbla, I too never heard the word cursive when growing up, it was hand writing. I remember those large lead pencils that seemed to be an inch in diameter that you could lean against your shoulder to write with and the paper with the printed lines that had pieces of wood floating around in it. Ah, the good ole days.
I'm no Michael Angelo when comes to it either BD but, at least I can read it. Whether someone can read mine is another story, they say artists has the worst hand writing and it's true.
My ex took up drafting in college (before the age of the computer)and she's always had lovely hand writing and printing Wink
Back to top Go down

A New Pen
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: