HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:13 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
With all the lousy  pipes with goof-ups you have done and shown us I'd say you probably ought to just give up trying to make pipes. It's obvious you don't know how or what you are doing as YOU have shown and told us time after time so just quit doing it!! If you can't make a PERFECT pipe EVERY time you make one why do it? I mean The White Spot, Savinelli and others ALAYS make PERFECT pipes so why bother ? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Shut up old man and buy a pipe from me, at least then you'll really have something to complain about.
Hey, if I give up what does that say about me? Sooner or later I'll be happy with what I've made.
Too bad you won't be around to see it.

Both sides of my family have lived well into their 90's so we'll see ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Damn! I gotta put up with you that long, Oh well! what's 5 or 10 years anyway, I can wait.

Your math is slipping old man, 90- 69 = 21 Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:48 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
With all the lousy  pipes with goof-ups you have done and shown us I'd say you probably ought to just give up trying to make pipes. It's obvious you don't know how or what you are doing as YOU have shown and told us time after time so just quit doing it!! If you can't make a PERFECT pipe EVERY time you make one why do it? I mean The White Spot, Savinelli and others ALAYS make PERFECT pipes so why bother ? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Shut up old man and buy a pipe from me, at least then you'll really have something to complain about.
Hey, if I give up what does that say about me? Sooner or later I'll be happy with what I've made.
Too bad you won't be around to see it.

Both sides of my family have lived well into their 90's so we'll see ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Damn! I gotta put up with you that long, Oh well! what's 5 or 10 years anyway, I can wait.

Your math is slipping old man, 90- 69 = 21 Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Oh! I'm sorry, I was going by your Avatar
Well, At least I'll have a couple of good years left. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:23 pm

Always fun to see someone go at monblablabla with a well practiced two by four!

OK - seriously though -

Two things:

First, please, please don't do a rustication like on that Stanwell and leave a heart, or an owl or mushroom...whatever smooth. I just hate a partly rusticated strummel. Just my druthers I know.  

And second...instead of being all p.o.'d about having it turn out not to your liking...embrace the screw up...make it even MORE off...WAY off...and call it a "drunken Stan" or something. Or like those roadside "House of Mystery" places where the rooms are all squeejawed and whatnot...the "Pipe of Mystery"!!!  

Well, it was a thought.

Last edited by Blackhorse on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:27 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Two things: First, please, please don't do a rustication like on that Stanwell and leave a heart, or an owl or mushroom...whatever smooth. I just hate a partly rusticated strummel. Just my druthers I know.  And second...instead of being all p.o.'d about having it turn out not to your liking...embrace the screw up...make it even MORE off...WAY off...and call it a "drunken Stan" or something. Or like those roadside "House of Mystery" places where the rooms are all squeejawed and whatnot...the "Pipe of Mystery"!!!  

Well, it was a thought.

Well, I did rusticate it, just the top portion above the line and about an 1/8" from the very top (no hearts or other designs).
Doesn't look too bad but being the pit was so deep and had to be filled it still shows a bit in contrast.
I'll take some photos later maybe. Been busy screw'en other pipes up today. Wink
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:33 pm

Oh yeah...like a Black-n-Tan kind of pattern. No...that would look good.

Everyone always yaps about how pits don't bother 'em...part of the zen of the wood, etc. But when you've been sanding and shaping and everything is just teetering on the brink of perfection...and you open up a hole big enough to shine a flashlight into looking for crystal formations...you know...the kind National Geographic wants to do a special on? Well, it's kind of disappointing. I know.

View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:37 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Been busy screw'en other pipes up today. Wink

lol!

Take your "screw ups" label them as "wabi-sabi" pipes and sell them for a fortune!

Wabi-sabi definition in case you're not familiar... "a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete"."

ADDED: In all seriousness though, wabi sabi is a view that I very much appreciate. Imperfections caused by time, accident or age, to me just adds a warmness to an object.

Last edited by Simple Man on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:39 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Oh yeah...like a Black-n-Tan kind of pattern. No...that would look good.

Everyone always yaps about how pits don't bother 'em...part of the zen of the wood, etc.  But when you've been sanding and shaping and everything is just teetering on the brink of perfection...and you open up a hole big enough to shine a flashlight into looking for crystal formations...you know...the kind National Geographic wants to do a special on? Well, it's kind of disappointing. I know.

Black and Tan, actually black and Saddle Tan. Wink
Yep, getting a pit is the pits specially when it's a big one, itty bittys I can handle.
Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:12 pm

Simple Man wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

lol!

Take your "screw ups" label them as "wabi-sabi" pipes and sell them for a fortune!

Wabi-sabi definition in case you're not familiar... "a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete"."

ADDED: In all seriousness though, wabi sabi is a view that I very much appreciate. Imperfections caused by time, accident or age, to me just adds a warmness to an object.

Wabi Sabi, hmm, I think we'll just keep it American and call them Turds and keep'em or giv'em away. Nothing wishy washy or taking a degree in college to understand there my friend.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:15 pm

I think we'll just keep it American and call them Turds!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Simple Man wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

lol!

Wabi Sabi, hmm, I think we'll just keep it American and call them Turds and keep'em or giv'em away. Nothing wishy washy or taking a degree in college to understand there my friend.

lol! You're one of a kind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:19 pm

Yeah...a good one.

View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:35 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Yeah...a good one.

Most definitely... though it will probably piss him off for us to say so. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:38 pm

<<snicker>> Oh? Really? <<snicker>>

View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:30 am

....yes. I think Ron is one of the nicest chaps on the BoB...
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://stickballard.wixsite.com/blog
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:18 am

Yeah, yeah, yeah..........in my defense, I was having a bad day. 5)
Back to top Go down
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:21 am

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://stickballard.wixsite.com/blog
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:16 am

I've looked into this Wabi Sabi thing and viewed several of the items representing it.
In my simple opinion it's putting a silk cap on a sow and calling it art. Here's an example
below of what they cal Wabi Sabi, again in my opinion a sad job said to be beauty of art.
Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist to see it and without trying to be antagonistic or combative, I wouldn't use this to feed my dog out of. 5)
Sorry Jack

Back to top Go down
alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:52 pm

I've arrived a bit late to this one but at least I've avoided the "it's great Ron", "No it's not Twisted Evil " ping-pong.
I look at it this way:
Is it a decent pipe - Yes
Is it the pipe you wanted to make - No
Are the pits a problem - For me - Yes, both because of their position and extent (and the phallic shape doesn't help Smile )
If you had a blaster you might have been able to make it more like the Stanwell and hide the pits but you don't so it's off to the shop with this one!
Is it a shame - Yes
Is it the end of the world - No
Will you get over it and go on to make better pipes - Yes undoubtedly

As for the Wabi Sabi thing - b******s (english profanity) - that's just a way of trying to sell cockups for more than a decent original.

Just my two penneth worth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:11 pm

You know the thing about Wabi Sabi...and it's not alone in the world of art...a rusticated pipe is an excellent example. Beautiful and prized Wabi Sabi and beautiful Rustic pipes are both made by masters...those who have mastered the standard shapes...the Freehand, etc. Once this is done, after years of active creative work they turn their hannd to creating the simp!e, Rustic pieces. I look at the cup/bowl you chose to show as an example and I see the hand of a master...it's perfect. It's like a Japanese garden or rock sculpture or Bonsai where the small work by human hands is meant to represent the nature of it's larger aspects in the natural world. The roughly made simple cup represents the nature of clay, the glaze, the firing process, etc. that created it. Just my spin.

View user profile
allyby

Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:39 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
You know the thing about Wabi Sabi...and it's not alone in the world of art...a rusticated pipe is an excellent example. Beautiful and prized Wabi Sabi and beautiful Rustic pipes are both made by masters...those who have mastered the standard shapes...the Freehand, etc. Once this is done, after years of active creative work they turn their hannd to creating the simp!e, Rustic pieces. I look at the cup/bowl you chose to show as an example and I see the hand of a master...it's perfect.  It's like a Japanese garden or rock sculpture or Bonsai where the small work by human hands is meant to represent the nature of it's larger aspects in the natural world. The roughly made simple cup represents the nature of clay, the glaze, the firing process, etc. that created it.  Just my spin.

lol! Some ones Fishing tonight.......... Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Someone's fishing tonight? Sorry, I don't understand.

View user profile
SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:27 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Someone's fishing tonight?  Sorry, I don't understand.

+1

MIKE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allyby

Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Someone's fishing tonight?  Sorry, I don't understand.

You trying to tell me you like that pot? lol! Or on the wynd up which is my guess.. jocolor

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:52 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
...Here's an example
below of what they cal Wabi Sabi, again in my opinion a sad job said to be beauty of art.

Looks like something somebody pulled out of their failed plumbing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:16 pm

To me, it's more than just an art or a creation of art. It is about the ancient things we own that have been damaged in some way and yet not tossed aside in the rubbish. It's finding beauty in an item that may have been chipped or cracked and keeping it and using it anyway. Items develop a warmness and a patina that most people never even realize because this is a throw away society. To me, it's like the fellow on BoB here the other day who bought that great old 1930s pipe and people assumed he would restore it to like new condition. He was of the same mindset as I am about things. A little sprucing up to make it usable and yet letting it maintain the patina of years of use by other gents.

I'm not really a collector of art per se, meaning pieces made as art. That's all great and all, but I'll let someone else pursue that... that's why I collect early English bibles and such... it's the use of the items that I appreciate. As my username indicates, I pretty much like things simple and the simple things in life.

I also prefer old cars over new ones, and they don't need to be of showroom or car show quality either.

ADDED: Or the more Cart-like answer... screw ya', I was just kidding about you selling it as wabi-sabi anyway. Most likely, you'd spell it wrong on the advertisement anyway. Wink

Examples of what I'm talking about...

Back to top Go down
View user profile

This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next