HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:55 pm

Simple Man wrote:
To me, it's more than just an art or a creation of art. It is about the ancient things we own that have been damaged in some way and yet not tossed aside in the rubbish. It's finding beauty in an item that may have been chipped or cracked and keeping it and using it anyway. Items develop a warmness and a patina that most people never even realize because this is a throw away society. To me, it's like the fellow on BoB here the other day who bought that great old 1930s pipe and people assumed he would restore it to like new condition. He was of the same mindset as I am about things. A little sprucing up to make it usable and yet letting it maintain the patina of years of use by other gents.

I'm not really a collector of art per se, meaning pieces made as art. That's all great and all, but I'll let someone else pursue that... that's why I collect early English bibles and such... it's the use of the items that I appreciate. As my username indicates, I pretty much like things simple and the simple things in life.

I also prefer old cars over new ones, and they don't need to be of showroom or car show quality either.

ADDED: Or the more Cart-like answer... screw ya', I was just kidding about you selling it as wabi-sabi anyway. Most likely, you'd spell it wrong on the advertisement anyway. Wink

Examples of what I'm talking about...

Jack, These two you posted I understand and like because there done with skill and craftsmanship but, the one I posted...................naw, naw, it aint art, it's just sloppy with another name. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:56 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
...Here's an example
below of what they cal Wabi Sabi, again in my opinion a sad job said to be beauty of art.

Looks like something somebody pulled out of their failed plumbing.

+1 Wink
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:57 pm

The guy on American Pickers is always talking about leaving old motorcycles and cars with a bit of the rust and patina on them instead of making them look like new, that's the same idea...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:04 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Jack, These two you posted I understand and like because there done with skill and craftsmanship but, the one I posted...................naw, naw, it aint art, it's just sloppy with another name. Wink

Ha ha, that was your example, not mine. Laughing

Although, I have an old bowl that my nephew made for me when he was a little boy that looks a lot rougher than that and I love it. He was later killed in a car wreck when he was 19. I'd rather have that old bowl than a new one made of solid gold. I use it to dry my tobacco in before loading the pipe, and it always makes me smile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:28 pm

Allyby -

It's a broad world my friend, room for many tastes and judgements. I don't laugh at those who don't understand or appreciate a certain esthetic...and you shouldn't laugh at those who do.

ETC., ETC., ETC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:47 pm

Simple Man wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

Ha ha, that was your example, not mine. Laughing

Although, I have an old bowl that my nephew made for me when he was a little boy that looks a lot rougher than that and I love it. He was later killed in a car wreck when he was 19. I'd rather have that old bowl than a new one made of solid gold. I use it to dry my tobacco in before loading the pipe, and it always makes me smile.

Well Jack, that's a different story. It has great sentimental value and I certainly would feel the same way.
I've kept all my daughters art work and things she made for me when she was just a little girl and I value those much higher then anything I own. My daughter is very special to me and anything her hand has made is priceless to me. Wink
Back to top Go down
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:34 am

All I can add Ron is that if half my mistakes turned out that good, I'd be a happy man.

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allyby

Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:29 am

Blackhorse wrote:
Allyby -

It's a broad world my friend, room for many tastes and judgements. I don't laugh at those who don't understand or appreciate a certain esthetic...and you shouldn't laugh at those who do.  

I was laughing at you because I thought you were having a joke with us, if I have misunderstood that then I'm sorry but that pot is still a Turd however you look at it.

Just my point of view of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:44 am

Allyby - don't be sorry because you misunderstood something. It took me about five years of World Art, Modern Art, Asian Art, Art History, Sculpture, Metalsmithing, Design, Drawing, etc., etc. at the University level to develop my current level of appreciation. What I see and understand is affected by that...hopefully.

ETC., ETC., ETC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:15 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
...It took me about five years of World Art, Modern Art, Asian Art, Art History, Sculpture, Metalsmithing, Design, Drawing, etc., etc. at the University level to develop my current level of appreciation. What I see and understand is affected by that...

Of that I have no doubt. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:21 pm

Very clever RB. We are indeed a droll lot.

ETC., ETC., ETC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:07 pm

Well, I finally found enough time to photo this sad pipe after it's rustication.
But, I'm still gona keep it and put it in my rotation, outta smoke Dunhill 965 well I bet. Wink

Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:13 pm

See? I think that turned out pretty great. Nice save.

ETC., ETC., ETC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:15 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
See? I think that turned out pretty great. Nice save.

Yesiree!

Cool

Cheers,

RR

x 2x 6  
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:22 pm

Thanks guys
Gona have to make another and pay attention this time. Wink
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:27 pm

Nice rustication! That ought to give you many fine smokes in the shop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:30 pm

Simple Man wrote:
Nice rustication! That ought to give you many fine smokes in the shop.

Thank ya Jack
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:37 pm

Is there a reason you put your stamp on the top of the shank instead of underneath?

ETC., ETC., ETC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:38 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Is there a reason you put your stamp on the top of the shank instead of underneath?

It seemed the easiest place to put it regarding my setup, although many makers have stamped there's on the side of the shank rather then on the bottom. I don't see a problem stamping it anywhere on the pipe except on the side of the bowl.
Stamping these damn things is probably one of the hardest things to do and do well as you can see only part of my stamp showed up on this one. If there buying my pipes for the stamping I better give up now cause I'm not getting any better at it. 5)
Maybe by my hundredth pipe I'll get it right.......maybe.
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:50 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Blackhorse wrote:

It seemed the easiest place to put it regarding my setup, although many makers have stamped there's on the side of the shank rather then on the bottom. I don't see a problem stamping it anywhere on the pipe except on the side of the bowl.
Stamping these damn things is probably one of the hardest things to do and do well as you can see only part of my stamp showed up on this one. If there buying my pipes for the stamping I better give up now cause I'm not getting any better at it. 5)

Ok, I'm not a crafty guy, so I have no knowledge about doing these "pipe things" right. But I know they make custom mini branding irons that brand a logo in. Would that not work to put a clean looking logo on a pipe? I'm guessing probably not, since I don't think I've seen anyone do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:03 am

Simple Man wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
Blackhorse wrote:

Ok, I'm not a crafty guy, so I have no knowledge about doing these "pipe things" right. But I know they make custom mini branding irons that brand a logo in. Would that not work to put a clean looking logo on a pipe? I'm guessing probably not, since I don't think I've seen anyone do it.

Basically that's what I'm using, I just don't heat it in a fire cowboy
Getting the WHOLE stamp to impress and impress equally is a whole nother thing my friend.
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention   Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:12 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Simple Man wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
Blackhorse wrote:

Basically that's what I'm using, I just don't heat it in a fire cowboy
Getting the WHOLE stamp to impress and impress equally is a whole nother thing my friend.

Add more heat! Heat it till it glows red! P ) Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3