HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Jim's Ramsgate Review.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Jim's Ramsgate Review.   Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:02 am

Thanks to a very generous forum member, I was gifted a couple ounces of Ramsgate. Greatly appreciated, my friend. Here's my review:

The licorice topping sublimates the tobaccos without totally drowning them out. The Virginias have a dried fruity sweetness: figs, plum, and dates with a little earth and a hint of grass here and there. It's kind of stewed fruit-like, too. I also perceive an occasional slight honey note that could come from a topping or from how the Virginias were processed. The nic-hit is very mild, and both strength and taste is mild to medium. No bite. May need a slight dry time, but I smoked it as it is, and though it did require a few relights, I was able to smoke it to the finish with just a little moisture in the bowl. If you like a mild licorice taste, you'll like this. Has a nice after taste. Though it isn't a strong tobacco, I don't classify it as an all day smoke as the topping is filling enough to the senses that you'll need a break after a bowl or two.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Ramsgate Review.   Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:02 am

Thanks for another experienced review Jim, much appreciated. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Ramsgate Review.   Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:06 am

Gotta chime in here.

1) remember that when "liquorice" is referred to as a tobacco flavor that it is different than what your typical impression of the flavor and its related scent might be. I get no traditional black liquorice scent off this at all, just a very succulent dark raisin molasses/brown sugar flavoring. It's one of the best tobacco flavorings ever.

2) opinions that smokers will want a break after a bowl or two and that it's not an all day smoke are one person's opinion. YMMV. I know that Jim would agree to this element of his review.

3) Ramsgate is what I call an English Aromatic...in which the flavors are infused differently than with American Aromatics. I once made a blend and Stoved some VA's, adding flavors and Bourbon during the stoving so that they were cooked into the tobacco. Then other components were added to make the final blend. American Aros typically have their flavors sprayed onto a completed blend along with sugar water. The end results are different.

4) The quality here is extremely high.

First BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator.†
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Ramsgate Review.   Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:55 am

Can't hack it. Whatever it's flavored with clashes with the natural tobacco taste instead of enhancing it. Just a personal reaction to the combination, of course. Took me three bowls to realize "No way, Josť," and the rest of the 8 oz. went to another rogue on this here forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Ramsgate Review.   Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:55 pm

Yeah...Real Men smoke Ramsgate! They GOTTA be tough.

First BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator.†
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

Jim's Ramsgate Review.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1