HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Are H&H 8 oz. tins okay for aging?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Haebar

Registration date : 2015-09-27

PostSubject: Are H&H 8 oz. tins okay for aging?    Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:59 pm

Are these Hearth & Home tins good enough for aging or should I jar the tobacco in Mason jars?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Are H&H 8 oz. tins okay for aging?    Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:18 pm

There was a recent discussion about the same subject in this thread, http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t31543-plum-pudding-in-tins

according to joshoowah, Russ Oullette told him that he doesn't recommend going past 3 years on those types of tins.

With 8 ounce tins,  I find that it's always more sensible to break them down into 2 ounce increments. That way you open a jar and you're only committed to 2 ounces of baccy while the rest of your investment continues to age uninterrupted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Are H&H 8 oz. tins okay for aging?    Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:29 pm

I have some in tins, but they are only about 6 months old now.....

I'll let you know in 2.5 years............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Are H&H 8 oz. tins okay for aging?    Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:40 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
There was a recent discussion about the same subject in this thread, http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t31543-plum-pudding-in-tins

according to joshoowah, Russ Oullette told him that he doesn't recommend going past 3 years on those types of tins.

With 8 ounce tins,  I find that it's always more sensible to break them down into 2 ounce increments. That way you open a jar and you're only committed to 2 ounces of baccy while the rest of your investment continues to age uninterrupted.

This is sage wisdom. Thank you Chris.

bom

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Are H&H 8 oz. tins okay for aging?    Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:55 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Are H&H 8 oz. tins okay for aging?    Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:13 pm

I recently opened year 2012  eight ounce tins of Anni Kake, Louisiana Red, Virginia Spice, and Rolando's Own. In all cases, the tobacco had retained its moisture with no rust. As long as they don't have silver bottoms (there were rust problems with those), I think they'll hold up for some time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Haebar

PostSubject: Re: Are H&H 8 oz. tins okay for aging?    Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:32 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:

Thanks for the very helpful information. My concern with these H&H tins is with the walls of the tins; they appear to be made of a foil covered cardboard of some sort, rather than metal like most smaller tins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Are H&H 8 oz. tins okay for aging?    Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:03 am

I have some old c&d and pease 8oz tins so I hope they are Ok.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Are H&H 8 oz. tins okay for aging?    Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:54 am

I decided to dig up that old message from Russ:

Q: "Hey Russ, Hope you are well. I am curious if leaving the tobacco inside the H&H cardboard tins ages it properly, or should I just transfer it over to jars? I've seen it discussed somewhat but wanted more clarity."

A: "It would depend on how long you plan on aging it. It should be fine in the tins for at least three years or so. I can't speak beyond that because our tobaccos have only been in those tins for about three years, now. If you're planning of aging 5 years or more, I might consider moving them to jars. Russ"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Haebar

PostSubject: Re: Are H&H 8 oz. tins okay for aging?    Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:02 am

Thanks for the help, guys! I appreciate the answers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Are H&H 8 oz. tins okay for aging?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1