HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Peter Stokkebye Sambuca

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Peter Stokkebye Sambuca   Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:37 pm

Hi, has anyone tried Peter stokkebye Sambuca? I'm still looking for a blend with a heavy licorice flavor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Peter Stokkebye Sambuca   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:22 pm

I haven't tried Sambuca, but what about Uhle's Blend 255? It is an old fashioned licorice blend.

http://www.uhles.com/Uhle_blends_out_of_state.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Peter Stokkebye Sambuca   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Simple Man wrote:
I haven't tried Sambuca, but what about Uhle's Blend 255? It is an old fashioned licorice blend.

Hey man, someone here (blackhorse, drumsnbeer?) is big fan of 255 but I don't think it's licoricey enough for my tastes...I was thinking PS sambuca might be drenched in Licorice flavor, although I'm not a fan of the drink, I'd figure it might be the most licoricey gooper I can find. I'm also interested in GH DVC Licorice, but it's pretty hard to come by
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Peter Stokkebye Sambuca   Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:09 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
Simple Man wrote:

Hey man, someone here (blackhorse, drumsnbeer?) is big fan of 255 but I don't think it's licoricey enough for my tastes...I was thinking PS sambuca might be drenched in Licorice flavor, although I'm not a fan of the drink, I'd figure it might be the most licoricey gooper I can find. I'm also interested in GH DVC Licorice, but it's pretty hard to come by

From the reviews, I'd say you are certainly on the right path. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Peter Stokkebye Sambuca   Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:13 pm

I have never smoked Uhle's 255.

How about Ramsgate, have you tried that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Peter Stokkebye Sambuca   Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:20 pm

FYI, Uhle's 255 is pretty light on the licorice. In fact it's just so lightly applied that it's tough to work out what it is.

I once got a sample of Blackpool and Ramsgate from BH and they were pretty stout in the licorice dept - especially the Ramsgate. A bit too much for me actually.

HTH

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Peter Stokkebye Sambuca   Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:08 pm

Brew, you are the one who likes 255! my apologies. I was interested in ramsgate, but it's so hard to find and many reviews I've read make it sound like the licorice isn't very strong. I'm going to have to try to get ahold of some DVC licorice, I'm told it has an over the top sweet topping. But is it over the top Licorice? I do not know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Peter Stokkebye Sambuca   Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:54 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
Brew, you are the one who likes 255! my apologies. I was interested in ramsgate, but it's so hard to find and many reviews I've read make it sound like the licorice isn't very strong. I'm going to have to try to get ahold of some DVC licorice, I'm told it has an over the top sweet topping. But is it over the top Licorice? I do not know.

Sorry Bugs, I'm not familiar with DVC.

But if you want an in-yer-face licorice you should try Ramsgate or Blackpool.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Peter Stokkebye Sambuca   Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:54 pm

I'll try and give Ramsgate a try...if it's ever in stock again. I'd assume people are hoarding that too...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Peter Stokkebye Sambuca   Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:22 am

I've found that Uhle's 255 is licorice-lite in some pipes, but a bit stronger in large bowled pipes and cobs, especially smoked slowly. I've read reviews from other pipers that describe Granger as giving a taste of licorice. Might be too mild for you, if my memory serves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Peter Stokkebye Sambuca   Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:36 pm

KevinM wrote:
I've found that Uhle's 255 is licorice-lite in some pipes, but a bit stronger in large bowled pipes and cobs, especially smoked slowly. I've read reviews from other pipers that describe Granger as giving a taste of licorice. Might be too mild for you, if my memory serves.

Thanks Kevin...I know people say anise or licorice from granger...but I never got that from it. I get an apple-ish burley flavor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Peter Stokkebye Sambuca   Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:18 am

Got some, it smell's nice, taste comes thru ok but not the licorice bomb i hoped for. I know the smell of this tobacco though, it brought back memories from when I first started smoking a pipe about 15 years ago. But I can;t figure out how I know the smell, I only smoked captain black and maybe some smokers pride back then, stuff you could buy at the 7-11 or CVS. I guess I could have bought  from a B&M that sold PS in bulk as a house licorice blend but I don't remember it. I haven't smelled captain black in a while and I'm wondering if that's the smell ha. It's def a classic licorice cavendish smell
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Peter Stokkebye Sambuca   Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:08 am

smoked this in another pipe while walking the dog, the licorice flavor comes thru better than I thought at first. It's probably the strongest licorice flavor an american style aromatic is gonna have. Pretty good. Will def be smoking this a lot on the go. It's not as strong enough N wise as I need but mixed with a little plug it will do just fine. If your looking for a licorice blend, this a good choice and cheap
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Peter Stokkebye Sambuca
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1