HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Anyone here ever made pickled peppers?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever made pickled peppers?   Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:11 am

huffelpuff wrote:
You sir are in luck. I found a recipe for pickled green tomatoes my mother collected sometime back in the 70's.

Pickled Green Tomatoes      Makes 6 pints

5 lbs green tomatoes
3&1/2c vinegar
3&1/2c water
1/4c canning salt
6 cloves of garlic one for each jar
2tsp dill seeds or 1 head of dill for each pint

Wash tomatoes and 1/4. Combine vinegar,water and salt in large pot and boil. Place garlic and dill into pint jars and pack tomatoes in jars. Cover with vinegar solution leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Process according to water bath canning instructions. Let jars sit 4-5 weeks before opening to allow flavors to fully develop.

Thank you so much Jim, that's the one. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever made pickled peppers?   Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:31 pm

Glad I could help Ron
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever made pickled peppers?   Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:58 pm

Jim

Based on your recipe for green tomatoes my vinegar/water ratio is in line with what I've done. I used much less salt, but there again I need to due to hypertension. Can't imagine that has anything to do with it.

I figure it might take just more time, so will wait another month or so. But there again WTF do I know?

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever made pickled peppers?   Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:55 pm

Rande, my best guess is that whole peppers take more time. I'd say 4-6 weeks unless you want to actually cook them in the liquid. Which is essentially what you're doing when you can them. If you choose to try that just cook the contents of a jar for 15-20 minutes. After they cool they should be good to go.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever made pickled peppers?   Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:19 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
Rande, my best guess is that whole peppers take more time. I'd say 4-6 weeks unless you want to actually cook them in the liquid. Which is essentially what you're doing when you can them. If you choose to try that just cook the contents of a jar for 15-20 minutes. After they cool they should be good to go.

Jim

Thanks for the tip Jim. I'll try the canning method and lyk how I get on.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com

Anyone here ever made pickled peppers?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: