HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Jim's Salty Dogs Review.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Jim's Salty Dogs Review.   Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:07 am

The sweet dark Virginias are richly dark stewed fruity with a fair amount of citrus, and a very deep earthiness. The sweetness has a mild fermentation aspect as blocks tend to do. The perique is a minor player; much more raisins, figs, and dates than spice, the latter note is not always noticeable. Iíve no idea what fruit topping is added, but neither that nor the light application of sweet Caribbean rum detracts from the tobacco taste, and I do not consider this to be an aromatic. The nic-hit is a little less than medium, getting just a little more potent in strength after the half way point, but itís never overwhelming. Both the strength and taste is a shade more than medium. The block may take a little cutting and itís moist, but itís not a chore. I tore it apart with my fingers, and peeled off thin layers, which I cut into small flake-like pieces before each smoke, leaving the block as intact as possible for as long as I can. Burns slow and requires relights. Itís not very complex, but itís very creamy smooth and creamy with no weakening of flavors, no dull or harsh spots. I didnít dry it any, but was able to burn it to finish though it left a little moisture in the bowl without dottle. The sweet, earthy after taste pleasantly lingers. Not quite an all day smoke, but if you use a small bowl, which I recommend, itís easily repeatable during your smoking day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Salty Dogs Review.   Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:43 pm

Thanks for the review Jim. I was interested in this blend (until I saw the price tag). affraid

Next time I can afford to splurge, I'll definitely pick some up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Salty Dogs Review.   Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:08 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Thanks for the review Jim. I was interested in this blend (until I saw the price tag). affraid

Next time I can afford to splurge, I'll definitely pick some up.

I was gifted a sample, or I'd have never tried. It's too expensive for me, but it sure is good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Salty Dogs Review.   Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:33 am

It's not a question I always ask but I'm always curious with plugs. Do you have any notions as to its aging potential /performance? I know it's speculative at this point so I'd understand if you left it alone. Thanks for the review.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allyby

Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Salty Dogs Review.   Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:00 pm

I wonder why it's so expensive in the US? in Europe this can be had for the equivalent US price of $10.50!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Salty Dogs Review.   Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:46 pm

Good God Ally - something we can get cheaper than our friends over the pond
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Salty Dogs Review.   Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:49 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
It's not a question I always ask but I'm always curious with plugs. Do you have any notions as to its aging potential /performance? I know it's speculative at this point so I'd understand if you left it alone. Thanks for the review.

I think this one is one of those plugs that already has a sense of age in the blend, so I don't know how much better it will get. The sweetness will mellow at some point, and considering the small amount of perique contained, you'll probably lose what you sense of that as the Virginias continue to mature. Plugs tend to mature well since less air gets to the tobacco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
allyby

Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Salty Dogs Review.   Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:03 pm

alandadp wrote:
Good God Ally - something we can get cheaper than our friends over the pond

Do you know where to get it though, see below. cheers

http://shop.hu-tobacco.de.hu-tobacco.de/epages/63080810.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63080810
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Jim's Salty Dogs Review.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1