HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Floaters!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Floaters!   Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:28 pm

For the past week or so I've been plagued with some pronounced floaters in my one good eye. Very distracting while trying to read, type on BoB, etc.

I've had them before and they seem to go away or lessen over time. This time however I'm probably going to see the Ophthalmologist since I only have one eye left and want to preserve the vision as long as possible.

Anyone else had floaters? And please, no toilet humor thank you very much!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:33 pm

Personally, not that I've ever noticed. My brother on the other hand. He's worn glasses since he was a youngster and worked outside in bright sun for years. It's finally gotten bad enough that he's planning on seeing the opthomologist himself. Hope you get this squared away quickly and painlessly Rande.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:07 pm

Yes, go to the ophthamologist . Floaters often afflict the elderly, nearsighted people and may be connected with a tendency toward torn retina. You can Google what's going on in your eye when you see floaters. I seem to recall that they're actually shadows caused when fluid in your eye pulls away from the eye wall. Probably your ophthamologist will be most interested in preventing a torn retina. Although floaters are usually only a nuisance that comes and goes, a torn retina calls for an urgent response since the surgical fix must be done in a short time period to be successful, as I remember. Best of luck to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:28 pm

KevinM wrote:
Yes, go to the ophthamologist . Floaters often afflict the elderly, nearsighted people and may be connected with a tendency toward torn retina. You can Google what's going on in your eye when you see floaters. I seem to recall that they're actually shadows caused when fluid in your eye pulls away from the eye wall. Probably your ophthamologist will be most interested in preventing a torn retina. Although floaters are usually only a nuisance that comes and goes, a torn retina calls for an urgent response since the surgical fix must be done in a short time period to be successful, as I remember. Best of luck to you.

Good to know Kevin. I'll be fixing an appointment this coming week.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:35 pm

Yeah, I have em.
If I look just right, it's like parameciums swimmin' 'round.   Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:21 am

Quote :
Good to know Kevin. I'll be fixing an appointment this coming week.

Cheers,

RR
Good, floaters can be just annoying little foreign bodies in the eye that do no harm but they can be the shadows of small blood clots caused by a tear in the retina and then you need an expert. I've had both a torn retina and a detached one, the torn one showed itself by a load of floaters that appeared overnight (the detached one was more dramatic).
Hopefully it's nothing but if it it a bleed then your ophthamologist will know what to do.

Best of luck BD

Adam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:06 am

BD, I have them all the time also, and most the time they seem to move with the eye. And yes, a real pain in the arse at times. Of course so is the ringing in the ears and the occasional uncontrollable shouting and drooling but, what's life without a little change from time to time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:11 pm

Crikey Rande old chum. You're having quite a year. Hope this latest snag resolves itself as well as your knee has.

I have no experience of said floaters so am not really able to comment. Fingers crossed for you mate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:35 pm

I can't remember ever not having them, to varying extent. They are probably nothing; flashes of "light" are another matter, indicative of a detached retina.

(Apparently I have had the latter, according to an opthalmologist, and it healed itself. "You can do that when you're young," he said, shaking his head a bit. Another told me she saw no signs of such a detachment. But I remember the "lights" shortly after a car accident that should have killed me.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:03 pm

Very misleading post title if you didn't want poo jokes. Do you mean those blobs of color that float around in your vision and move away when you look at them? I get those all the time from direct, bright light. I didn't know they were a medical problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:11 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
Very misleading post title if you didn't want poo jokes. Do you mean those blobs of color that float around in your vision and move away when you look at them? I get those all the time from direct, bright light. I didn't know they were a medical problem.

We're not talking about those, we're talking about the black to gray ones that float aimlessly in your eye until you move your eye. Although I've had them for some time dating back to my younger days I believe the older folks seem to be pron to them more. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:30 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Jevverrett wrote:

We're not talking about those, we're talking about the black to gray ones that float aimlessly in your eye until you move your eye. Although I've had them for some time dating back to my younger days I believe the older folks seem to be pron to them more. Wink

This.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:54 pm

Right. They sometimes look like a little cobweb bundle that moves around in your vision field. Then they (usually) go away, but not always. I think it's a little "bubble" within the fluid of the eye and what you're seeing is the shadow of that bubble on the retina. I might not get an A+ for that description. Another kind of floater looks like a fruit fly that cruises by, but won't stay away and can't be swatted. Don't know what the explanation for those might be. Strong Lat blends, maybe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:10 pm

Everyone has floaters to a greater or lesser degree, they become more pronounced with age I understand. The flotsam and jetsom of a human eye, they are usually reabsorbed over time. Floaters are normal, but significant levels, especially accompanied by perceived flashes in one's peripheral vision (blue-white) can indicate a torn or detached retina, which should be examined by a qualified MD immediately.

The above is second hand info from my eye Dr. from when both my retinas detached (it happens with age I guess) All is well and my vision is OK...but there can be complications so it needs to be evaluated.

View user profile
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:57 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
...but there can be complications so it needs to be evaluated.

Nota bene. Yes, and it's an easy evaluation, an uncomplicated blessing of modern med with an effective treatment, if needed. It's not undignified or intrusive like the dreaded colonoscopy that also comes with seniority. Maybe the greatest benefit is peace of mind. So get thee to a kindly opthamalogist, and I hope the experience is uneventful for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:38 am

KevinM wrote:
Blackhorse wrote:
...but there can be complications so it needs to be evaluated.

Nota bene. Yes, and it's an easy evaluation, an uncomplicated blessing of modern med with an effective treatment, if needed. It's not undignified or intrusive like the dreaded colonoscopy that also comes with seniority. Maybe the greatest benefit is peace of mind. So get thee to a kindly opthamalogist, and I hope the experience is uneventful for you.

I'm actually scheduled for a colonoscopy at 11:00 today, and I'm only 33. The prep didn't taste as bad as I thought it would, like very sour lemon Italian ice with a slight fizz to it. It's been a hell of a night though, and I have to drink another one in a few hours. I've never been sedated before, at least professionally. So that should be interesting lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:54 am

Since you'll be o u t, there's really not much to the c'scope. Drinking salty flavored water is the worst of it for most. And there's a certain indignity to the whole business. But there's no buzz from the anesthesia, sorry to disappoint. Hope they find nada, except maybe that pair of sunglasses you lost awhile back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:01 pm

Brewdude wrote:
in my one good eye.
I would get my retina looked at yesterday. Even a GP resident at an urgent care would be better than waiting. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:00 pm

Have an appt for this Thurs. If it gets any worse between now and then I'll go sooner. Right now it seems to be stabilized.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Just came from the eye Doc. I don't have a torn or detached retina. Just some floaters I have to live with.

Pressure is normal in the good eye too. No sign of a cataract either. All very good and reassuring news!

cheers 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:59 pm

Very pleased to hear that BD - floaters can be annoying but better than the alternatives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Good to hear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:26 pm

Great news Rande. I've a few floaters in my right eye since I was in my early 20s, they've never expanded or changed over the years and my eye exams have been good so I'm not worried.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Just came from the eye Doc. I don't have a torn or detached retina. Just some floaters I have to live with.

Pressure is normal in the good eye too. No sign of a cataract either. All very good and reassuring news!

cheers 

Cheers,

RR

That's good news Rande. Floaters, I'm afraid, are a plague upon the old geezers of the world. Nothing you can do about them but learn to live with them. Maybe one day science and medicine will find a way to rid us of the nuisance. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Floaters!   Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:32 pm

ajn27511 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

cheers 

Cheers,

RR

That's good news Rande. Floaters, I'm afraid, are a plague upon the old geezers of the world. Nothing you can do about them but learn to live with them. Maybe one day science and medicine will find a way to rid us of the nuisance. Smile

AJ

Yup. Guess I'm a geezer alrighty!

silent

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down

Floaters!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-