HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Attack on Tobacco Products

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kaitlyn3837

avatar

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Attack on Tobacco Products   Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:12 am

My boss informed me yesterday that FedEx is no longer shipping tobacco any kind after the start of January. I didn't see any topics on it, so I didn't know if any of you had heard about it.

I hadn't heard a word about it until my boss mentioned he got an e-mail regarding it.

This article has some good info. And what it says about merchant/banking services is true. We have had the same problem at my shop.

http://www.stogieguys.com/2015/09/09292015-cigar-news-fed-ex-announcent-to-stop-cigar-shipments-part-of-stealth-attack-on-tobacco.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

avatar

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:34 am

No problem--when this plays out to its inevitable conclusion the Mafia will deliver. And I will be a customer.

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

avatar

Location : fly over country
Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:20 pm

American ingenuity, capitalism, and the Mexican cartels will surely fill the void. Bastiches!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

avatar

Location : Wisconsin
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:54 pm

No biggie, in my close to 30 years in the hobby I've never gotten any tobacco via FedEx. I'm set but if mail order is your only option I can imagine a day without any mail ordered tobacco if your lucky to be working for employer still has not banned tobacco/nicotine or priced you out of the market. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Orlando, FL
Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:41 pm

The handwriting has been on the wall for several years now. A ban on mail order of any tobacco products is likely a matter of when rather than if. The powers that be will probably cite the difficulty of ascertaining the recipient's age if any justification is needed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:49 pm

fsu92john wrote:
The handwriting has been on the wall for several years now. A ban on mail order of any tobacco products is likely a matter of when rather than if. The powers that be will probably cite the difficulty of ascertaining the recipient's age if any justification is needed.

I can't believe we're still able to buy online.
I'm all set if I never order again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:10 am

fsu92john wrote:
The handwriting has been on the wall for several years now. A ban on mail order of any tobacco products is likely a matter of when rather than if. The powers that be will probably cite the difficulty of ascertaining the recipient's age if any justification is needed.

Despite lots of attempts, that never worked with banning wine deliveries, but it does mean that the person who takes delivery to has to be of age and sign for the package. I can see that happening easily
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:56 am

Just why would I want FedEx to deliver me Anything knowing there history negligence? scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
daveinlax

avatar

Location : Wisconsin
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:00 am

DrT999 wrote:
fsu92john wrote:
The handwriting has been on the wall for several years now. A ban on mail order of any tobacco products is likely a matter of when rather than if. The powers that be will probably cite the difficulty of ascertaining the recipient's age if any justification is needed.

Despite lots of attempts, that never worked with banning wine deliveries, but it does mean that the person who takes delivery to has to be of age and sign for the package. I can see that happening easily
LoL! That's not how I remember it. Before Wisconsin repealed their out of state mail order ban no winery or dealers would sell to you. In the phone order days the order would stop when they heard Wisconsin. An individual might risk sending an occasional "gift" but No dealer will mark a trail for the Feds and risk a felony. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:08 am

daveinlax wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
fsu92john wrote:
The handwriting has been on the wall for several years now. A ban on mail order of any tobacco products is likely a matter of when rather than if. The powers that be will probably cite the difficulty of ascertaining the recipient's age if any justification is needed.

Despite lots of attempts, that never worked with banning wine deliveries, but it does mean that the person who takes delivery to has to be of age and sign for the package. I can see that happening easily
LoL! That's not how I remember it. Before Wisconsin repealed their out of state mail order ban no winery or dealers would sell to you. In the phone order days the order would stop when they heard Wisconsin. An individual might risk sending an occasional "gift" but No dealer will mark a trail for the Feds and risk a felony. Shocked

Note your own caveat, before the mail order ban was lifted. Now it would work as I mention in those states which allow such sales. Note also that those bans were allowable under the amendment which repealed prohibition and gave states the right to regulate alcohol sales
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
szyzk

avatar

Age : 37
Location : Warren, PA
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:25 pm

daveinlax wrote:
No biggie, in my close to 30 years in the hobby I've never gotten any tobacco via FedEx. I'm set but if mail order is your only option I can imagine a day without any mail ordered tobacco if your lucky to be working for employer still has not banned tobacco/nicotine or priced you out of the market. Shocked

Ah, but it could be a biggie.

With FedEx no longer shipping tobacco of any kind UPS has a monopoly. If a manufacturer no longer receives a competitive rate to ship his product because UPS no longer needs to offer a discount, he'll charge the retailer more. If the retailer is charged more, you'll be paying more for the end product.

I already know of a few retailers who lost small shipping discounts with UPS as soon as this was announced, and have had to raise their rates to the consumer (the shop I work at is one of them).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:26 pm

szyzk wrote:
daveinlax wrote:
No biggie, in my close to 30 years in the hobby I've never gotten any tobacco via FedEx. I'm set but if mail order is your only option I can imagine a day without any mail ordered tobacco if your lucky to be working for employer still has not banned tobacco/nicotine or priced you out of the market. Shocked

Ah, but it could be a biggie.

With FedEx no longer shipping tobacco of any kind UPS has a monopoly. If a manufacturer no longer receives a competitive rate to ship his product because UPS no longer needs to offer a discount, he'll charge the retailer more. If the retailer is charged more, you'll be paying more for the end product.

I already know of a few retailers who lost small shipping discounts with UPS as soon as this was announced, and have had to raise their rates to the consumer (the shop I work at is one of them).

All my tobacco products get shipped USPS and half the time for FREE so I don't see any monopoly. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
szyzk

avatar

Age : 37
Location : Warren, PA
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:04 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:

All my tobacco products get shipped USPS and half the time for FREE so I don't see any monopoly. Wink

The store you're buying from - unless it's the big boys exclusively - are more than likely paying more, or will be paying more, to stock the tobacco, because that stuff isn't coming via USPS. In most cases that added cost will get passed on to the consumer. Obviously there are exceptions.

Furthermore, USPS isn't a perfect solution for every retailer's outgoing mail. If the retailer isn't big enough to qualify for bulk discounts, in many cases depending on the weight of the package or distance it will travel, UPS may be cheaper - but still more expensive than before.

You and I agree that the easy solution is to order enough to meet the free shipping requirements, as that's what I do when I spend my money at some place other than my store. But, speaking as someone who ships out anywhere from 500-800 packages a week, not every shopper works on that mindset.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Souderton, PA
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:05 am

I could be wrong about this, but I seem to recall that USPS now subcontracts with fedex. I wonder if this could be a wrinkle in the story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:24 am

Sounds like I need to build another greenhouse....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

avatar

Location : Wisconsin
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:22 am

MichaelM wrote:
I could be wrong about this, but I seem to recall that USPS now subcontracts with fedex. I wonder if this could be a wrinkle in the story.
Yeah, USPS delivers for FedEx Ground and FedEx ships and delivers for USPS Express. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

avatar

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:15 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Sounds like I need to build another greenhouse....

Haha, Ozark, you are awesome.

And I didn't know that Fedex and USPS work together. That could definitely make it interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Painesville, OH
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:44 am

The cellar is at 37# and growing...this is a BIG reason why!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

avatar

Age : 26
Location : Beaverton, OR
Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:05 pm

kaitlyn3837 wrote:
Ozark Wizard wrote:
Sounds like I need to build another greenhouse....

Haha, Ozark, you are awesome.

And I didn't know that Fedex and USPS work together. That could definitely make it interesting.

From what I remember, and speaking in internet terms, it seems that USPS acts as Fedex' 'last mile' in most places (at least, they do here). I'm not sure about the big boy logistical stuff, but I do know that FedEx has some serious back-end fleet stuff figured out. It'd be cheap for the USPS to rent bins from FedEx on their cargo planes and have FedEx fly their packages across the country.

Regardless, this still could change things significantly for most tobacco sales in regards to delivery.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Meriden, Ct
Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:13 pm

I would guess that the high risk end of tobacco sales is most likely something to do with the ghetto smoke shops run by shady characters who may be selling largely stolen merchandise. Also the cigarette clubs that pop up here and there. They sell loose tobacco and tubes, and with your membership fees you gain access to an industrial tube stuffer. Bad juju on the tax end of life. Most of these guys end up with huge fines and maybe jail time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:40 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
I would guess that the high risk end of tobacco sales is most likely something to do with the ghetto smoke shops run by shady characters who may be selling largely stolen merchandise. Also the cigarette clubs that pop up here and there. They sell loose tobacco and tubes, and with your membership fees you gain access to an industrial tube stuffer. Bad juju on the tax end of life. Most of these guys end up with huge fines and maybe jail time.


First I've heard of this Jev. Don't think there are any in my area as the local news would pounce upon this right away. Right now they're trying to shut down Hooka establishments.


Cheers,

RR


Last edited by Brewdude on Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Jevverrett

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Meriden, Ct
Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:46 pm

The other issue with this for pipe smokers is all the bags of bulk tobacco they sell are labeled as pipe tobacco now to avoid the new taxes on cigarette rolling tobacco. Which is part of the reason for new taxes on pipe tobacco, I think.

And they do get shut down pretty quickly. Then they open up someplace else. A lot of the middle eastern owned tobacco and lotto shops around Connecticut have the machines still, but only make cigs for regulars. My sister gets them sometimes when she's broke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Attack on Tobacco Products   Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:29 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
The other issue with this for pipe smokers is all the bags of bulk tobacco they sell are labeled as pipe tobacco now to avoid the new taxes on cigarette rolling tobacco. Which is part of the reason for new taxes on pipe tobacco, I think.

And they do get shut down pretty quickly. Then they open up someplace else. A lot of the middle eastern owned tobacco and lotto shops around Connecticut have the machines still, but only make cigs for regulars. My sister gets them sometimes when she's broke.

Yes, I've long held that this is part of the problem in trying to distinguish between proper pipe 'baccy and RYO. In effect, one part of the 'baccy industry is screwing another. Mad


Cheers?

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
 
Attack on Tobacco Products
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Police Identify Veteran Trainer Killed In SeaWorld Whale Attack
» Labour MP David Taylor dies following heart attack
» 50 dead in Orlando nightclub terror attack
» Garda wins 19k over attack when pregnant
» Ottawa Man Accused of Killing His Dad With Crossbow In Toronto Library

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: