HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

UFO Sighting or RC 'Flying Trash Can Lid' ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: UFO Sighting or RC 'Flying Trash Can Lid' ?   Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:42 pm

Actually, it's called 'The Nutball' - a 24" flying disc. Simple 3-channel control (Rudder, Elevator, and Throttle) and super cheap to build - this one is made from 1/2" foam board. It's a quick build using low-temp hot glue, is ugly as can be, but the potential exists for many hours of fun.  Not to mention - it always draws attention, mostly due to it's unique shape and amazing flight characteristics.

The slight rise on the left and right edges help it to be self-leveling in flight, so it's easy to fly - but is highly manuverable if you want it to be due to them amount of rudder and elevator travel.

This pic was taken before a prop was installed, and the Battery sticks to the Velcro in front.

Cool

Last edited by Rob_In_MO on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:46 pm; edited 13 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: UFO Sighting or RC 'Flying Trash Can Lid' ?   Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:46 pm

A short video clip of it flying this afternoon. (Sunday, 11/22/15)

Here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: UFO Sighting or RC 'Flying Trash Can Lid' ?   Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:25 pm

Hey Rob! That's mighty dadburn cool, in fact I could use one around here to drop little bombs on the stinking neighbors mutts. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: UFO Sighting or RC 'Flying Trash Can Lid' ?   Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:42 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Hey Rob! That's mighty dadburn cool, in fact I could use one around here to drop little bombs on the stinking neighbors mutts. Wink

Thanks, Ron!

For a few years now, i've been buying planes instead of scratch building.  Along the way -  people have given me old, crashed, or non-working planes for me to part out.  Now i'm building a few with scavenged (and nearly free) parts and a trip to Lowes or the local hardware store.  Not pretty, once again, but fully functional and a lot of fun.

Best part is - if I crash and total that flying trash can lid, i'm out maybe $2 worth of foam board and a little hot glue.  lol
95% of the time, all the rest of the parts survive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: UFO Sighting or RC 'Flying Trash Can Lid' ?   Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:46 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

Thanks, Ron!

For a few years i've been buying planes, and people have given me old, crashed, or non-working planes for me to part out.  Now i'm building a few with scavenged (and nearly free) parts and a trip to Lowes or the local hardware store.  Not pretty, once again, but fully functional and a lot of fun.

Best part is - if I crash and total that flying trash can lid, i'm out maybe $2 worth of foam board.  lol
95% of the time, all the rest of the parts survive.

Hey nothing wrong with that sir, ones man's junk is another man's treasure.
That's how I've built many a computer and the one I'm still using today. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: UFO Sighting or RC 'Flying Trash Can Lid' ?   Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:07 pm

So $50 for the hardware and $50 ??? for the transmitter/receiver I can be flying an easily repaired highly maneuverable distinctively odd plane?

HMMMMM,,,I'll have to check this out a little more.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: UFO Sighting or RC 'Flying Trash Can Lid' ?   Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:22 pm

mark wrote:
So $50 for the hardware and $50 ??? for the transmitter/receiver I can be flying an easily repaired highly maneuverable distinctively odd plane?

HMMMMM,,,I'll have to check this out a little more.

Already had the transmitter, receiver, servos, motor, all of it.  All I actually bought new was  4x8 sheet of 1/2" foam board and another pack of low-temp glue sticks.  Literally a $3 investment on my part. Laughing

If you really want to build one, i've got enough parts and pieces to help you throw one together.  You'll need your own transmitter and receiver, but I can help you with the rest.

I can also send you a link to the plans for building one, and all the tips/tricks you care to read about concerning this design.

Actually, here is the link. Printable plans are on page 2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: UFO Sighting or RC 'Flying Trash Can Lid' ?   Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:09 am

Too cool Rob! cheers cheers cheers

I wondered where you have been. Out building flying saucers no doubt. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: UFO Sighting or RC 'Flying Trash Can Lid' ?   Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:21 am

Now that is some cool stuff right there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: UFO Sighting or RC 'Flying Trash Can Lid' ?   Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:23 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Now that is some cool stuff right there

A stress-relieving way to spend an afternoon, Ozzy.

Dutch wrote:
Too cool Rob! cheers cheers cheers

I wondered where you have been. Out building flying saucers no doubt. Cool

Yes - been busy (and short-handed) at work, family member in the hospital again, and I just needed an afternoon away from it all.

Last edited by Rob_In_MO on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: UFO Sighting or RC 'Flying Trash Can Lid' ?   Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:31 am

Looks like you're having a lot of fun with that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999

UFO Sighting or RC 'Flying Trash Can Lid' ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: