HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

War Horse Bar

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: War Horse Bar   Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:11 pm

I just got a small sample of the 1970s War Horse bar, and will compare it to the prototype sample I got in the same package. Ought to be very interesting!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: War Horse Bar   Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:36 pm

I will be very interested to hear what you have to say...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: War Horse Bar   Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:47 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
I will be very interested to hear what you have to say...

Took the words right outta my mouth Padre!

Smile

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: War Horse Bar   Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:04 pm

I'm not far from finishing this bowl of the 70s WH bar. It's strong, but I like the taste very much. Reminds me a bit of Condor. I only have enough for one more bowl, but I have several bowls worth of the prototype. If it's close or exact to this, they will have a winner for those who like strong, full flavored tobaccos. I can see our own Dr. T liking it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: War Horse Bar   Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:16 pm

JimInks wrote:
I'm not far from finishing this bowl of the 70s WH bar. It's strong, but I like the taste very much. Reminds me a bit of Condor. I only have enough for one more bowl, but I have several bowls worth of the prototype. If it's close or exact to this, they will have a winner for those who like strong, full flavored tobaccos. I can see our own Dr. T liking it.

I went over and read the few reviews of it. I don't know if I would like it, but I do know if it is brought back, I would certainly want to try it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: War Horse Bar   Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:08 am

Gonna try the prototype in a few minutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: War Horse Bar   Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:16 am

War Horse bar? Sounds like a winner to me!

First BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: War Horse Bar   Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:40 am

Here's my review of the 1970s War Horse plug.

The bar consisted of strong, deeply rich and earthy floral Virginias (one of the major ones being red) that had a touch of spice. They were dark fruit and fermented stewed fruit sweet, the latter being more prominent than the former, providing a fair amount of sweetness. The burley was powerful in all respects; earth, nuttiness with sweet overtones. The bold Kentucky was woody, a little smokey, and earthy with a minor spice note in a supporting role. The toppings were treacle, and floral essence (geranium?), and perhaps something else as well. That floralness mildly reminded me of Condor. The toppings were strong, but the tobaccos always had their say in the proceedings. The plug was dense and black, and needed a little prep time. The burn rate, no matter how you cut or dried the tobacco, was slow, and many relights were required. The flavors from the toppings and tobaccos never weakened, and in a big bowl, could dull your tongue a little by the time you were finished, unless you were a slow puffer to moderate puffer. The amount of moisture in the bowl depended on one's dry time, but it could be burned to ash when dry without any dottle. The nic-hit was full, and not recommended to those smoking on an empty stomach. The after taste lingered. The room note was not as strong or repellent as one might have thought.

The version I was referring to was from the 1970s. Some sweetness was lost over time, but enough remained to gauge the inherent properties of the tobaccos. The floral notes were a little more pronounced for that reason, as they were likely not quite as obvious when fresh.  And that sweetness mitigated the potentiality of dullness on the tongue that I referred to earlier.

As the prototype I have been smoking is still being tweaked, I will hold off that review for now. I will say it's pretty durn close to the original as it is, though it'll be a little sweeter to match what the original was when fresh. I think people looking for this kind of plug will find it very worth while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: War Horse Bar   Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Jim, when you say that the prototype is close to the original, you actually mean that the prototype is close to the 1970s version of War Horse with about 40 years of aging, right? Smile

Not that it matters. I'm looking forward to try it regardless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: War Horse Bar   Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:31 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
Jim, when you say that the prototype is close to the original, you actually mean that the prototype is close to the 1970s version of War Horse with about 40 years of aging, right? Smile

Not that it matters. I'm looking forward to try it regardless.

As I understand it, there's still some tweaking to be done. What I meant was the new version is being designed to match what the 1970s version was like when it was fresh. That was why I was pointing out what few differences there are and why they are there because I'm smoking the original years after its manufacture.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: War Horse Bar   Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:10 pm

JimInks wrote:
As I understand it, there's still some tweaking to be done. What I meant was the new version is being designed to match what the 1970s version was like when it was fresh. That was why I was pointing out what few differences there are and why they are there because I'm smoking the original years after its manufacture.

Aha! My mind tricked me when reading your posting for the first time. My experience is that blends become sweeter with aging and the floral notes from added toppings become weaker, but you say the opposite happened with War Horse. I read your post too quickly and misinterpreted that the intent of the new version was to reproduce the original fresh by adding sweetness and reducing the floral notes, which is the reverse of what I expected. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: War Horse Bar   Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:37 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
JimInks wrote:

Aha! My mind tricked me when reading your posting for the first time. My experience is that blends become sweeter with aging and the floral notes from added toppings become weaker, but you say the opposite happened with War Horse. I read your post too quickly and misinterpreted that the intent of the new version was to reproduce the original fresh by adding sweetness and reducing the floral notes, which is the reverse of what I expected. Interesting.

Most blends, especially those with a lot of Virginia, do become sweeter with age, but I have run across a few that did not. It may have to do with how they were stored, quality of the tobaccos, etc. In the case of the 70s version, losing some sweetness made the floral note more prominent than it was when fresh, and it's important to understand that not just for the accuracy of my review, but to make a fair comparison over the upcoming new release.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: War Horse Bar   Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Anytime I hear that a 'baccy has Rose Geranium it immediately calls to mind Lakeland character. Which is something I just cannot tolerate even a little!

So would you call this a Lakeland Jim? You wrote-

JimInks wrote:
The toppings were treacle, and floral essence (geranium?), and perhaps something else as well. That floralness mildly reminded me of Condor.

I've had Condor, and it doesn't set off any alarms for me. And perhaps that's not entirely a fair statement as I've only had a bowl or so thus far. Yet if it was a pronounced Lakeland I'd have been turned off immediately.

So is it on a par with Condor, or less?

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: War Horse Bar   Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:11 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Anytime I hear that a 'baccy has Rose Geranium it immediately calls to mind Lakeland character. Which is something I just cannot tolerate even a little!

JimInks wrote:
The toppings were treacle, and floral essence (geranium?), and perhaps something else as well. That floralness mildly reminded me of Condor.

I've had Condor, and it doesn't set off any alarms for me. And perhaps that's not entirely a fair statement as I've only had a bowl or so thus far. Yet if it was a pronounced Lakeland I'd have been turned off immediately.

Cheers,

RR

There is no Lakeland in WH bar, either in the past or the present prototype. Condor is a better equivalent in regard to some of the flavoring. I would not say exactly, but it's in that family, and not Lakeland.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: War Horse Bar   Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:17 pm

JimInks wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

JimInks wrote:

Cheers,

RR

There is no Lakeland in WH bar, either in the past or the present prototype. Condor is a better equivalent in regard to some of the flavoring. I would not say exactly, but it's in that family, and not Lakeland.

That's very reassuring then Jim. You had me at the mention of Geranium though.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: War Horse Bar   Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:31 pm

Brewdude wrote:
JimInks wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

JimInks wrote:

Cheers,

RR

That's very reassuring then Jim. You had me at the mention of Geranium though.

Cheers,

RR

I used a question mark after geranium because I'm not sure what that floral essence is. Those can be very hard to tell many times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

War Horse Bar
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1