HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 For the pen guys..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: For the pen guys..   Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:26 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
avatar

Age : 60
Location : Chestnut, IL
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:01 pm

Woohoo! sunny

_________________


"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

avatar

Age : 52
Location : On the road.......
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:27 pm

For that kind of money, I hope they dropped it on carpet! Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:29 pm

Not a bad price given who makes the pen. Pelikans are sooooo much better writing wise than what's offered by the snowcap folks IMHO Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:31 pm

That's very inexpensive for the quality of pen.. Dutch,  I know you can't wrap your head around that, it's fine I understand.    Go out on the street and show someone a Peterson/Savinelli/Stanwell pipe and try to explain to them the $100 price tag.

This is the equivalent of a Dunhill pipe and a Peterson price.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

avatar

Age : 52
Location : On the road.......
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:38 pm

I know PB, I was jus messin with ya! Laughing

I used to have a Montblanc rollerball that was gold plated and burgundy color that got stolen back in 09. They cost around $500 now, which is almost double what I gave for mine in 94. It makes me grit my teeth every time I think about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Not a bad price given who makes the pen. Pelikans are sooooo much better writing wise than what's offered by the snowcap folks  IMHO Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Yea, that's what a fountain pen freak (he collects them) told me about pens. He told me that if I wanted to invest substantial money n a fountain pen, to go with Pelikan.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:32 pm

Dutch wrote:
I know PB, I was jus messin with ya!  Laughing

I used to have a Montblanc rollerball that was gold plated and burgundy color that got stolen back in 09. They cost around $500 now, which is almost double what I gave for mine in 94. It makes me grit my teeth every time I think about it.

If you want a MB worth owning, fountain pen wise, Twisted Evil Twisted Evil stick to those made prior to 1970 when they became part of the Louis Vitton luxury products group and they were still focused on making TRUE writing tools !! If you want something newer, stay with Pelikan, Waterman, or Parker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

avatar

Age : 52
Location : On the road.......
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:45 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Dutch wrote:
I know PB, I was jus messin with ya!  Laughing

I used to have a Montblanc rollerball that was gold plated and burgundy color that got stolen back in 09. They cost around $500 now, which is almost double what I gave for mine in 94. It makes me grit my teeth every time I think about it.

If you want a MB worth owning, fountain pen wise, Twisted Evil Twisted Evil stick to those made prior to 1970 when they became part of the Louis Vitton luxury products group and they were still focused on making TRUE writing tools !! If you want something newer, stay with Pelikan, Waterman, or Parker.

Thanks for the info Michael. Sounds like there is as much to know about collecting writing pens, as there are about collecting pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Moderator
avatar

Age : 69
Location : Oregon City
Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:27 pm

There are several excellent websites that cover the Fountain Pen world. A $135 pen is at best entry level to those guys. I have one of the Pelikan M200's in a classic Dark green, a gift. It writes beautifully. It's like buying a fine Briar.

Don't even get started re the ammo, er, ink! That's like buying tobacco. In fact, the similarities between the world of pipes and tobacco and pens and ink are quite strong.

_________________
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator.
Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:42 pm

Favorite ink? Did someone say they wanted to talk ink? Very Happy Very Happy

Give me Noodlers Lexington Grey.. Looks like a pencil, doesn't erase.
Or Noodlers Baystate Blue, the most horridly bright blue to ever make a stiff neck moan. Lol.

I like Lamy Blue, Sheaffer Black, Diamine Monoco red, and a host of other colors too but they aren't as fun as Noodlers because I know Noodlers sends some into stroke level blood pressure fits and one could always hope for that Christmas Miracle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

avatar

Age : 26
Location : Beaverton, OR
Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:20 am

puros_bran wrote:
Favorite ink?  Did someone say they wanted to talk ink?  Very Happy Very Happy

Give me Noodlers Lexington Grey.. Looks like a pencil, doesn't erase.
Or Noodlers Baystate Blue, the most horridly bright blue to ever make a stiff neck moan.   Lol.

I like Lamy Blue, Sheaffer Black, Diamine Monoco red, and a host of other colors too but they aren't as fun as Noodlers because I know Noodlers sends some into stroke level blood pressure fits and one could always hope for that Christmas Miracle.

Ha! I keep Baystate Blue in my fountain pen at work. It's such a fine, high-contrast blue, honestly. Only problem is, it seems to stain pretty much every reservoir it ever touches...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:39 am

As far as inks go. Three I have used for over 40 years now are Aurora's Blue and Black ( one of the most opaque blacks made) and Omas 's Blue / All three are very opaque, flow smoothly , and don't stain or clog the feed. I've collected fountain pens for over 45 years now and have a collection of over 250 mostly post war European as well as Parker 51's. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Moderator
avatar

Age : 69
Location : Oregon City
Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:04 am

Ohhh!  250!?!? Wow. Whaddaya say guys...I'd love to see a portrait of MBla standing in front of his collection! Do they make a lens that wide?  lol. Amazing.

I stopped collecting when I hit twenty or so. Got a couple of Platinum 3776, a Namiki Falcon  and a Lamy 2000 that I figured were plenty good enough.  My real interests lie in drawing pens, watercolor brushes and papers plus Japanese graphite pencils.

But if I had to pick some favorite inks, they would be:

Noodlers Black for bulletproof.
Either of the Iroshozuku Browns...maybe Yama Guri first.
J Herbin 1670 Anniversary - Emerald of Chivor
Noodlers Black Swan in Australian Roses
J Herbin 1670 Anniversary - Rouge Hematite

Those are the fountain pen inks. There are other inks I use for drawing...different list.

Favorite buy sites...Jet Pens & Goulet Pens.

_________________
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator.
Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:04 am

WarlockBob wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
Favorite ink?  Did someone say they wanted to talk ink?  Very Happy Very Happy

Give me Noodlers Lexington Grey.. Looks like a pencil, doesn't erase.
Or Noodlers Baystate Blue, the most horridly bright blue to ever make a stiff neck moan.   Lol.

I like Lamy Blue, Sheaffer Black, Diamine Monoco red, and a host of other colors too but they aren't as fun as Noodlers because I know Noodlers sends some into stroke level blood pressure fits and one could always hope for that Christmas Miracle.

Ha! I keep Baystate Blue in my fountain pen at work. It's such a fine, high-contrast blue, honestly. Only problem is, it seems to stain pretty much every reservoir it ever touches...

Never mix a neon yellow limited edition Lamy with Baystate Blue. .. Any interest in a one-off custom Green Lamy?

Actually I didn't, but I heard about it often enough to want to try it to see if there was any truth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:46 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Moderator
avatar

Age : 69
Location : Oregon City
Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:42 am

Oregon State...black-n-orange!

_________________
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator.
Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: For the pen guys..   Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:02 pm

Here's my 400 NN from the '50s that get's used almost daily. has a beautiful soft FM nib with lots of thick / thin when writing!! Sadly they don't make the tortoishell striped barreled pens any more! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
For the pen guys..
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Keith Mitnik of Morgan & Morgan - One of the Good Guys (Civil Case)
» Hello guys,did you received this email today???
» so what, pray tell, is a "real" paedophile???
» Montana Jogger Sherry Arnold Said 'Hi' to Suspects Before Being Attacked
» Throw me a bone guys

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: