HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

HO Railroading.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    20th December 2015, 1:05 am

I guess I'm more of a HO train collector at this point as opposed to a modeler. I've got a lot of trains but no permanent layout. I'm lucky to still have some of the trains I got as gifts when I was a kid although a lot of them didn't survive childhood. I'll buy a new train occasionally now if I find something cool. Most of my older trains are Hornsby train for England since we didn't move back to the US until I was 10. I throw some track down around the tree for Christmas and run them around in circles for awhile. I think the track with built in plastic ballast is the best thing ever, since it allows the trains to run pretty reliably on the floor with everything being nailed down.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's stories about the trains they had as a child. My childhood story is this; I actually got a 4 x 8 layout delivered by Santa Clause one year. No it wasn't just under the tree, Santa actually brought it in the back door. Every one in the family remembers it because I noticed that Santa had the exact same watch as my Uncle and they were all afraid I figure the whole Santa thing out right there. I must have been 5 or 6 at the time and I didn't even put 2 and 2 together that it was just my Uncle dressed up.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    24th December 2015, 9:19 am

Okay... There's been some progress...

I am going with N Scale.   I purchased 53 rolling stock in HO size before making this decision so...  Go figure.   I also have rethought doing coal cars..

Here's representative pics of what has been aquired in N.  

eBay pic.  

upload gif

Proto pic.

pic host

And some cars.  

capture screen

Car Proto pics.

adult picture hosting

how do i print screen

Can't find the proto of this one yet, but pic for more detail.

image hosting without registration
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-20

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    25th December 2015, 1:19 pm

Tinkering with a real train set looks like fun. If you like trains in a computer environment then don't miss Railroad Tycoon 2. It is only 4.99 on Steam at the moment. This is the best business simulation game I have ever played.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    29th December 2015, 12:10 am

The timing on this was just a coincidence but my brother-in-law asked me to see what I could do with this HO scale locomotive when we visited them over Christmas. It wouldn't run at all when I got it, the motor didn't turn. I ended up cleaning all the contacts between the wheels and the motor. Then I put it on a test track and the motor ran, for about 1/2 a turn of the wheels.  Mad   Mad   Mad   It looks like the running gear had taking a hit at some point in time, the connecting and piston rods were all jamming up on one side. I carefully bent all the rod back to straight. That got things moving again and little more cleaning and a touch of oil and she is running smoothly now. Woo!! Woo!!   Laughing   Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    29th December 2015, 12:47 am

That's pretty interesting. It's all set for a Free Lance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    5th January 2016, 12:45 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    5th January 2016, 4:49 pm

Because it's purty:

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    6th January 2016, 4:06 am

The Indiana Railroad.. They run not far from the homestead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    6th January 2016, 7:32 am

That's a fantastic picture Mr. B!

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    21st January 2016, 10:30 am

I've got the table work finish and some 'earth' under the track.

screen capture

Plus I've added some locomotives and cars.

I've also ordered some more track, and scenery material (Woodland Scenics clump foliage, tree armatures, some paints, etc)

I sold some basketball cards, a cell phone, and some other junk to finance the expedenture. However, even being an extremely frugal shopper,it's turning into a money pit..Out of shame,I won't disclose how much I've sunk into this..lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fazby

Registration date : 2010-04-23

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    21st January 2016, 6:36 pm

On the back side, you could add a siding, which would let you park a second train. When switching is done with the first train and it goes off into the rest of the world, you can bring in the other train for more switching.

As for cost, I have read that it can be at least $50 per square foot. However, if you rebuild, al the locos and rolling stock is reused, the buildings are reused, and much of the track, especially the turnouts are reuseable.

If you enjoy it, it is worth every penny.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    21st January 2016, 6:55 pm

One day I will get into it. I really love the streamliners from the UK, so would have to run oo vs ho.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    21st January 2016, 11:27 pm

Tarheel: model trains is one area where size really doesn't matter, well except for how much room one needs.

Fazby: I'm going to put an Appalachian mountain all across the back side and run a tunnel from one side to the other. I'd actually planned on running a siding in 'the tunnel' one train comes in, then a different train comes out.
There's going to be a spur into a freight station that's connected to the imaginary town via dirt road. Unless I decide to build a highway along the tracks, in that case I'll just pave everything.
I also plan on running a hollow road around the hillside with assorted trailers and shotgun shacks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fazby

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    22nd January 2016, 6:22 pm

Sounds good.

Do not "seal" the tunnel. Leave the back open. The illusion will still work from the front. You REALLY don't want derailments within the tunnel. Adding turnouts in the tunnel (unless the back is open) is trouble waiting to happen.

If you operate alone, the derails will be in the tunnel. If you have visitors, the derailments will be in the open where you never had problems before the visitors showed up. Murphy's law.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fazby

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    22nd January 2016, 6:44 pm

Also, just for grins, google "carolina central n scale". It was a layout in Model Railroader in two issues (one with Atlas track, and a later revisit with Kato track).

I think it is a nice simple layout, and close enough to yours, that you may find some useful tweaks.

If you send me your email address, I'll send you a scan of the articles. (I don't know how to upload here.) I am in HO, but I kept copies of these as I liked them. Maybe some day...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    22nd January 2016, 10:07 pm

I didn't intend to close the back for exactly the reasons listed.

I think there may be some confusion here.. This 'layout' is still just Kato Unitrack snapped together to play with as I assemble the parts for the next step.. At some point this comes up and I paint, mold, model..then I'll lay track and ballast.

The final plan is kinda in my head but still very flexible so I'd love the scans. I think it's BS that MR wants $5 a month for access to the archives and then only after paying the $43 subscription price. I'd be better off buying the back issues at the LHS. I have purchased random copies down through the years but that stopped when I went to subscribe and saw their business model. I can handle more ads than articles or higher cost with less ads, but I won't do both.

I'm going to subscribe to N scale and join one of the two major associations devoted to nscale, I figure that will cover me. I also belong to nscale.net and keep a couple free 'magazinish' sites in the bookmarks.
The research side is what I do when I can't get out of bed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    22nd January 2016, 10:30 pm

We still have the HO train set from the 70's. Use to put it up around the base of the xmas tree, going to put it up next year for the 2 grandsons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    4th May 2016, 7:42 pm

Well this is cool, from back when they combined function with art--or something. I assume there was actually a train that looked like this? Must have been, I reckon. (Painting of LeHigh Valley K5B Pacific Streamlined Steam Locomotive by Mark Karvon.)

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Canicus61

Registration date : 2013-10-16

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    24th May 2016, 5:13 am

That's a great pic - I'm into Lionel trains, and also N scale - - mostly postwar with the Lionel bu have some MTH and Williams as well....

will have to post some pics...it's a great hobby, but takes time and space - and lots of work! Easier to light a pipe and dream up a track plan and layout then to build one!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: HO Railroading.    24th May 2016, 5:58 am

Funny that it was bumped. I was making trees earlier. I've completed two, I need about 800 more. Lol.

Plus I aquired a Precision Craft Baltimore & Ohio EMD E7 DCC w/h Lok Sound.

Excuse the background noise, I was just going to snap pics but a video is actually easier.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

HO Railroading.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: