HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pug inspired Rustication

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

Pug inspired Rustication Empty
PostSubject: Pug inspired Rustication   Pug inspired Rustication EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 8:03 pm

What one of my dogs put me through............

Working on a few pipe bowls the last couple of days. (After hand mixing 40 80 pound sacks of cement and pouring footings and slabs in the one of the barns, this old body was really cranky. Had to rest a while..)

ANYWAY, Got a bowl ready for the 2000 grit and my darling pug, B'Lana, decided it was a fun chew toy.

Dental Dents.

After the required amount of agonizing over lost work and time, (not to mention the required amount of liquid solace)((Did I mention that?? Oh well....))), I went out to the barn and started a fire in the woodstove, got warm, and began the torture of rusticating my first Osage Orange pipe bowl..

I'll say this, it was a lot tougher to put a polish on it than a smooth bowl..

Not sure what to think of it yet, but here are some pics...

Pug inspired Rustication 12181510

Pug inspired Rustication 12181511

Oh, and let us not forget the perpetrator......

Pug inspired Rustication 12161510

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Pug inspired Rustication   Pug inspired Rustication EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 8:29 pm

Actually, that looks like it might turn out pretty cool after all Ozzy. In fact the surface and finish reminds me of an orange. Kinda goes with the Osage Orange wood, nay?

Bad doggie B'Lana, bad bad doggie! No doggie cookies for you tonight!

elephant

And hand mixing 40 x 80 lb sacks of cement is clearly enough to put the ol' bod in a world of hurt!

No

Cheers,

RR

Pug inspired Rustication Purple11x 2Pug inspired Rustication Bombx10  Pug inspired Rustication Bombx7Pug inspired Rustication D6bddf10 Pug inspired Rustication 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Pug inspired Rustication   Pug inspired Rustication EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 12:59 am

Ozark, good to hear the cement work didn't get the best of you. Heck, that is hard work for a 20 year old, let alone anyone else.

When I received the pipe you sent me last month, my first impression was that it might be Bois d'arc. It is a supreme bow wood, and I am curious what your thoughts are on it's durability as a pipe material.

I know it will be interesting to see how it patinas as a pipe, since sunlight turns it from orange to honey brown over the course of time anyhow.
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Pug inspired Rustication   Pug inspired Rustication EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 1:59 am

Dutch wrote:
Ozark, good to hear the cement work didn't get the best of you. Heck, that is hard work for a 20 year old, let alone anyone else.

When I received the pipe you sent me last month, my first impression was that it might be Bois d'arc. It is a supreme bow wood, and I am curious what your thoughts are on it's durability as a pipe material.

I know it will be interesting to see how it patinas as a pipe, since sunlight turns it from orange to honey brown over the course of time anyhow.

I'll have to get pics of my others in rotation. They are the wood version of Meerschaum. Some of them are dark like walnut. They smoke great.

Oh, hang on............

From left to right, all Osage Orange, 10 years old, 9 or so, 3 years, 2 years. one year, and the new 'rusticated/Pugged bowl. I have others, but I think they are in the barn, but you'll get the idea. I have seen 100 year old Indian bows made from this stuff and they are almost black. Interesting material for sure!

Pug inspired Rustication 12181512
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Pug inspired Rustication   Pug inspired Rustication EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 3:41 am

You carve some gorgeous pipes Ozark!

I have 2 bamboo backed Osage bows, one I commissioned from a bowyer in Michigan, and another I had commissioned from a bowyer in Alabama. I am able to craft my own wood arrows, but building and tillering an Osage bow is a whole nuther skill set.

Back in 04, I managed to take an 8 point with the Osage bow without the use of a tree stand. I set up on the downwind side of a greenfield in some pines, and slipped a cedar arrow behind his shoulder just before dark.

The adrenaline flow was fantastic! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Pug inspired Rustication   Pug inspired Rustication EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 6:15 am

OW, may I be the first to congratulate B'Lana on the fine pipe she's produced. It seems you're quite the team; OW, shaper; B'Lana, finisher.

Nicely done Team Wiz. Wink

(It looks totally fine to me old chap. If you hadn't told us the dog chewed it, we'd never have known).
Back to top Go down
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Pug inspired Rustication   Pug inspired Rustication EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 8:26 am

+1 from me on the Rover Rustication! I like it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.dadspipes.com

Pug inspired Rustication
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Photo Gallery-
Jump to: