HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Greetings from Jerusalem!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
davidas3



Location : Jerusalem, Israel
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:48 pm

aka The Big Holy

Hello All,

Happy Holidays! I'm more or less recently returned to pipe smoking and tobacco enjoyment after a lapse of a decade or three. Thoroughly enjoying and learning from the knowledgeable and congenial threads on BoB. Thanks! I don't exactly lurk on forum sites, but haven't participated as much as I likely should. Like Mr Lennon sang, "Life's what happens while you're busy making other plans."

In the day, my favorite smokes were Balkan Sobranie and 759, Dunhill's Elizabethan, Nightcap, Royal Yacht and Early Morning Pipe. In the '80s I discovered Georgetown Tobacco Co. and added their Byzantium, Experimental "D", Night Owl, Persuasion and Reverie to my liking. Except for my two favorites, Byzantium and the "D" most of those are still available and I even found some of each which I'd totally forgotten about but had cellared in an old, green mason jar (though at the time I didn't realize that was what I was doing.) They survived surprsing well, somewhat "cavendished" but still tasty when dried out a bit.

When I visited my father in California last year, he gifted me his pipe collection. I recall that in the house he used to smoke Amphora Brown and I loved the aroma. That room note with always be with me, though when I started smoking a pipe in college all it took was a puff or two on Cherry Blend and a bowl of Amphora to gravitate me to smoking EMP exclusively during those years. In any case, the my dad had me retrieve a cardboard box with his pipes. Turned out to be some thirty or more specimens! Among them are some Castellos, Savinellis, Dunhills, and seconds from the above, a couple Karl Erik Danish. So far, I've tried about ten of them out and seven of them are excellent smokers! I consider myself very fortunate to have these pipes, otherwise I'd go broke on the beautiful work being done by contemporary artisans and manufacturers. Also, I'm impressed with the myriad of quality blends available these days. Smoke has finally met its ethereal match in the manifest metaphor of the internet! This time around, I'm thoroughly enjoying and rotating between HU-Tobacco's Fayyum Kake & Dockworker, GLP's Six Pence, McClelland's Old Dog, 3 Oaks Syrian, Avenue B, Fairmon's Lancer Slices, and S. Gawith's Skiff.

I intend to begin restoring my father's collection (not sure how, but hope pic attachment works) and have begun learning about the process. I've got a Dremel tool and plan to get a buffing wheel and portable vise to use with my simple Black & Decker drill. I haven't met but a few other local pipe smokers. I understand that there was once a club but it's now defunct and there's really only one shop that caters to pipe smokers but most of their clients are cigar smokers. In any case, if any of you are also in JLM, please give me a shout! Be a pleasure to meet you. All the best, David
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Welcome to BoB David. Nice informative intro. You're very lucky to have inherited you Dad's pipes, some nice sounding pieces there. I'm sure we'll all be interested to see pics in due course.

There are some highly qualified pipesmiths here on the forum. You'll see their work as you browse through the threads. No doubt you'll learn a lot in your restoration skills.

Be safe there in Jerusalem. News has shown some disturbing footage lately.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:42 pm

Welcome to the forum! Maybe you could make a pipe of your own out of olive wood! I hear that's a great medium, and making can teach you about refurbishing as well..
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi David, great to make your acquaintance. Looks like you're off to a great start with experience and piping hardware. Looking forward to seeing you on the forum,

Stick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
loneredtree

avatar

Age : 75
Location : Nevada City, CA.
Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:25 pm

A warm welcome to Forum David. Practice on the not so good pipes until you get them right. Looks like a nice collection.

Do you come back to the "Golden" state often and what part?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:09 pm

Welcome aboard, David. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:13 pm

Welcome, David! I hope you have a goiod time here

"T"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Timbo

avatar

Age : 42
Location : Australia
Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:07 pm

Welcome David, hope you find your time here informative. It sounds like you're off to a great start with your dad's old pipes and your cellared baccy. I was lucky to be blessed when I started with a couple of pounds of tobacco from a mate who'd tired of Latakia blends as well as info about where to successfully purchase online etc. a great little head start.

Any questions, no matter how silly you think they are, will be gladly answered here. The response may be slightly tongue in cheek though. Laughing

Have fun here.

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

avatar

Age : 61
Location : Virginia
Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:09 pm

A hearty welcome to BoB! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:43 am

I didn't read your introduction.. It's too long for my tired eyes at the moment. But howdy anyway.  Wink



Edited in: I've now read the intro...7 hours later, I was tired what can I say.

Pops indeed blessed you with a treasure. These HU Tobaccos, do you find them locally or is it something you have imported yourself? Unless my memory has failed me (again) I've never heard of them.


Last edited by puros_bran on Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:34 am

Welcome to the brotherhood.
Back to top Go down
davidas3



Location : Jerusalem, Israel
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:11 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, BrewDude! I tried to post a pic, but evidently it was too hi res (big). I'll try again. Soon as I get a chance I'll try again. I've noticed some excellent DIY threads onsite, already. Looking fwd!

Brewdude wrote:
Welcome to BoB David. Nice informative intro. You're very lucky to have inherited you Dad's pipes, some nice sounding pieces there. I'm sure we'll all be interested to see pics in due course.

There are some highly qualified pipesmiths here on the forum. You'll see their work as you browse through the threads. No doubt you'll learn a lot in your restoration skills.

Be safe there in Jerusalem. News has shown some disturbing footage lately.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile
davidas3



Location : Jerusalem, Israel
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:17 pm

Thanks for the greetings, Ozark Wizard! A lot of olive wood carving goes on here, especially for souvenirs. I've yet to see a pipe, but I did read a thread awhile back about just that, olive wood as a medium. There are many olive trees hundreds of years old (would be a lot more even older if the Ottomans hadn't denuded the forests during their 600 year hegemony. I wonder if ancient olive tree root would be different than very old trunk? Hmmmm. In any event, have a healthy and happy New Year!

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Welcome to the forum! Maybe you could make a pipe of your own out of olive wood! I hear that's a great medium, and making can teach you about refurbishing as well..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
davidas3



Location : Jerusalem, Israel
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi Stick. Thank you for the welcome and encouragement! Pleased to make your acquaintance as well. I hope to participate as much as possible. Just now finished most of a bowl of Lancer Slices in a meerschaum gourd calabash. I'd smoked a previous load in a Karl Erik Jobey Dansk. Here's my live notes: "5 Stars for pipe and tobacco. A two-cycle winner with complexity and flavor belying its two-tobacco makeup. Delicious, smooth, very little bite; nutty an smokey delight!" (Wonder what I meant by that "two-cycle" ref?.. Right. I think I was rebounding off a tobaccoreviews.com review by SteelCowboy in which he referred to it a complexity of two tobaccos. Interestingly enough, I enjoyed it more in the Karl Erik than in the calabash and I think I know why. It smoked nicely, but I missed out on some of the really flavorful, nutty smoking bowl note (if that's the correct term) because of the deep bend in the pipe put it too far away from the nose to get that feedback.

Have a happy and healthy New Year!


Stick wrote:
Hi David, great to make your acquaintance. Looks like you're off to a great start with experience and piping hardware. Looking forward to seeing you on the forum,

Stick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
davidas3



Location : Jerusalem, Israel
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Thanks, loneredtree! I appreciate it. Your advice is well taken. When you say it looks like a nice collection, did you actually see the image I tried to post?

I grew up (debatable, that) in San Diego and my father's in an assisted living facility in Encinitas. I don't get back often enough, of course. It's been every few years. Where's Nevada City? In the Sierra foothills? Looking forward to more BoB. Have a happy and healthy New Year!

loneredtree wrote:
A warm welcome to Forum David. Practice  on the not so good pipes until you get them right. Looks like a nice collection.

Do you come back to the "Golden" state often and what part?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
davidas3



Location : Jerusalem, Israel
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:48 pm

Thanks, DrumsAndBeer! Happy and Healthy New Year!

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Welcome aboard, David. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
davidas3



Location : Jerusalem, Israel
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:51 pm

DrT999, thanks. It's already happening. Happy and healthy New Year!

DrT999 wrote:
Welcome, David!  I hope you have a goiod time here

"T"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TwelveAMnTX

avatar

Age : 47
Location : TX
Registration date : 2015-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:42 pm

Welcome to BoB, David!
It sounds like a nice lot you got there, congats & happy puffing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/28662
davidas3



Location : Jerusalem, Israel
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Getting the hang of BoB   Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:44 pm

Hello all,

I just responded to the warm welcomes from many BoB forum members. Again, THANKS! But I reckon I should have stopped to read the instructions because I have a feeling that, even though I used the "quote" feature I did not post my replies so they appear attached to the respondents' messages. My bad. If you wrote me, I'm afraid you'll have to scroll down to the end of the thread to read my replies (they're still pending...). Sorry for the inconvenience Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:37 pm

davidas3 wrote:
Hello all,

I just responded to the warm welcomes from many BoB forum members. Again, THANKS! But I reckon I should have stopped to read the instructions because I have a feeling that, even though I used the "quote" feature I did not post my replies so they appear attached to the respondents' messages. My bad. If you wrote me, I'm afraid you'll have to scroll down to the end of the thread to read my replies (they're still pending...). Sorry for the inconvenience Smile


No worries David, the responses all look fine. Takes a bit of time to navigate the fine points of these things. I'm still learning!

bom


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
davidas3



Location : Jerusalem, Israel
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Thanks for welcome!   Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:42 am

Puros_Bran!

Busted. I enjoy writing and sometimes get carried away, but thanks for the extra effort. Razz Amen to that treasure. HU Tobaccos? They're excellent excellent tobaccos blended by a master blender in Germany, Hans Wiedemann. I imported them myself but, unfortunately, they do not ship to the States. If you know anybody in Europe who's going to the States, I'm sure you could arrange with Mr Wiedemann to try his blends. My favorites are Fayyum Kake and Dockworker. He has an English version of his site with a lot of information and interesting images. Highly recommended.

http://shop.hu-tobacco.de.hu-tobacco.de/epages/63080810.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=Categories

All the best, Happy and healthy New Year!

puros_bran wrote:
I didn't read your introduction.. It's too long for my tired eyes at the moment. But howdy anyway.  Wink



Edited in:  I've now read the intro...7 hours later, I was tired what can I say.    

Pops indeed blessed you with a treasure.  These HU Tobaccos, do you find them locally or is it something you have imported yourself? Unless my memory has failed me (again) I've never heard of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
davidas3



Location : Jerusalem, Israel
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:10 am

Thanks for the welcome, TwelveAMnTX!

Are you from the Republic of? Your avatar looks a lot like an old (departed) friend of mine, whom I called, Quatz, the Hopi word for "friend". He was half malamute; half Canadian Silver-tipped wolf, but the malamute was not evident. At 9 mos. he stood 3 hands high. What a character! Thanks to my dad (again) I'm able to puff away most happily on some very good pipes.

Happy and healthy New Year!


TwelveAMnTX wrote:
Welcome to BoB, David!
It sounds like a nice lot you got there, congats & happy puffing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
davidas3



Location : Jerusalem, Israel
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Tnx   Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:33 am

Thanks for the warm welcome and encouragement, Timbo

It does seem like, with the peace pipe and tobacco, our native American bros. knew what it was all about. Far as tongue in cheek goes, I'm all for it! Like Will Rogers said, "We are all here for a spell. Get all the good laughs you can!" The pipe is a fine way to let our extremes go up in smoke. Happy and healthy New Year!

Timbo wrote:
Welcome David, hope you find your time here informative. It sounds like you're off to a great start with your dad's old pipes and your cellared baccy. I was lucky to be blessed when I started with a couple of pounds of tobacco from a mate who'd tired of Latakia blends as well as info about where to successfully purchase online etc. a great little head start.  

Any questions, no matter how silly you think they are, will be gladly answered here. The response may be slightly tongue in cheek though. Laughing

Have fun here.

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
davidas3



Location : Jerusalem, Israel
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: thanks for the welcome, lord guyrox!   Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:47 am

That's a good quote. I saw one about pipe smoking awhile back which sums it up pretty well, but I don't know who said it: "Keeps my hands busy and my mouth shut." In the manner of good room note, y'know? Have a happy and healthy New Year!

Lord Guyrox wrote:
Welcome to the brotherhood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Meriden, Ct
Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jerusalem!   Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:45 pm

Belated welcome
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Greetings from Jerusalem!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Gulu Walk 2008 - Jerusalem
» What is the Capital of Israel?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Welcome Wagon-
Jump to: