HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My First Cigars I Rolled Myself

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ZeroContent

ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

My First Cigars I Rolled Myself Empty
PostSubject: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 12:38 am

Here are two of the first cigars I've rolled myself a few days ago.  Not the prettiest but not too bad.  I've smoked both of them.  Both have a CT Broadleaf binder and Cameroon wrapper.  One is just Dominican Seco filler and the other is just Nicaraguan Seco filler.  I'm just testing out all the fillers and using the same binder and wrapper combo so I know that any differences are because of the filler.  So I'm test testing in addition to the ones mentioned CT Broadleaf, Brazilian Habano Viso, Cameroon Seco, Colombian Seco, PA Viso and Seco, Dominican Volado, Indonesian Sumatra Seco, Nicaraguan Viso and Ligero, Honduran Seco, Viso, and Ligero and Indonesian Kasturi. Then it'll be one to testing binders and wrapper.

My First Cigars I Rolled Myself Casa_d10
Back to top Go down
http://www.teantobacco.com
Piffyr

Piffyr

Registration date : 2015-10-24

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 2:35 am

Now, keep in mind that I don't know jack about cigars, but those look darn good to me!
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 7:52 am

I'm with Piff, if they didn't explode in your face I'd say your good to go sir. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 7:25 pm

Twist 'em and light 'em, it's the only way to be sure!!

Pretty though........
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 8:16 pm

Well, the caps are a little rough looking but the rest looks pretty good. Nice and even. Be interesting to hear how they smoke.

Cheers,

RR

My First Cigars I Rolled Myself Purple11x 3My First Cigars I Rolled Myself Bombx10My First Cigars I Rolled Myself Bombx10  My First Cigars I Rolled Myself D6bddf10 My First Cigars I Rolled Myself 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d My First Cigars I Rolled Myself Cowboy13My First Cigars I Rolled Myself 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
ZeroContent

ZeroContent

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 10:16 pm

So far i've smoked 4 cigars with different fillers and I've semi-blind (not referencing my notes on the cigars tasting) all the fillers by themselves.  Here are my tasting notes.

All are CT broadleaf binder with a Cameroon wrapper.

Dominican Seco Cigar: Sweet tobacco, slight cocoa and cream notes. Very light touch of spicy heat.  Hint of anise on the finish.

Dominican Seco filler alone: Slight sweetness with a soapy taste.  Little bit of spicy heat. Touch of anise on the finish.

Dominican Ligero Cigar: White pepper and a medium spicy heat.  Touch of earth.  Little bit of sweetness.

Dominican Ligero filler alone: Pepper and a medium pepper heat.  Touch of earth.  Slight soapy taste

Nicaraguan Seco Cigar: Sweet cream with a touch of white pepper, earth and a little bit of cocoa.  Very light spicy heat.  Long sweet finish with a slight cooling sensation like you'd get from menthol.
(note from my notes, just in this post.  I really enjoyed this cigar.  It was actually very sweet and creamy.)

Nicaraguan Seco filler alone: Roasted earth.  Little bit of spicy heat and a touch of sweetness.

CT Broadleaf Cigar: Little bit of sweetness but not much else.

CT Broadleaf filler alone: Almost no flavor at all.  Just tobacco smoke.

So from my cigar notes to my filler alone notes, I'm thinking the Cameroon wrapper is providing a good deal of the sweetness that I'm tasting since the fillers alone are not that sweet.  I've always liked Cameroon wrapped cigars in general.  Only downside is the wrappers are small and barely cover a 5x48 cigar but I like that size so it works for me since you get the most leaves per pound  over 100 so that means 200 cigar wrapper for 32 bucks.  Get me about a 50 minute smoke.  All of the cigars I rolled burned well.  No tunneling or runs.  I'm still trying to get more consistent on the bunching so the draws are better some have been too loose and some a little tight. Obviously getting the caps done better needs work too.  Since I have a whole pound of Cameroon wrappers on the way I'll probably just start cutting the flag and the caps out of a different leaf since there isn't enough left over after applying the wrapper.

The blend I rolled today but will be a few days before smoking: Filler equal parts Dom Seco and Ligero and nic seco.  CT binder and Cameroon wrapper.  

All other fillers should be arriving tomorrow or Thursday.  I do have CT Shade, maduro, and med broadleaf wrappers to try as well.

Tonight's tasting left overs:
My First Cigars I Rolled Myself 20151213
Back to top Go down
ZeroContent

ZeroContent

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 9:46 pm

Improving my technique. Getting there.

My First Cigars I Rolled Myself 20160110
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 11:10 pm

Those look fantastic. I'd imagine that getting the cap right and the draw consistent would be the biggest challenges. Nice work..
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 12:02 am

So when do we see Zero Content cigars on the market with flashy boxes and what not?

Back to top Go down
ZeroContent

ZeroContent

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 12:24 am

puros_bran wrote:
So when do we see Zero Content cigars on the market with flashy boxes and what not?  

While that would be awesome. The legal BS is mind boggling. I looked up the regulation out of curiosity. Like what if i want to make just like 600 cigars are year available for sale? It's a friggin' nightmare. At an end cost of $6 a stick, You'd have to sell like 3000 a year just to break even from government fees and taxes and required record keeping and material costs. Stupid government.
Back to top Go down
tslots

tslots

Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 1:36 pm

Better to just go the back door / off the books / grey market route and just "gift" via the various tobacco forums in exchange for "donations".

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.  

Cool
Back to top Go down
ZeroContent

ZeroContent

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 1:48 pm

tslots wrote:
Better to just go the back door / off the books / grey market route and just "gift" via the various tobacco forums in exchange for "donations".

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.  

Cool

Very Happy

Got all my filler test cigars rolled and drying.  
My First Cigars I Rolled Myself 20160111
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 2:50 pm

So you found some Virgins ? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Their work looks real good !! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
tslots

tslots

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 8:15 pm

My First Cigars I Rolled Myself 7b2e6144aab20dcd027efd5dd02e08f6
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 8:20 pm

ZeroContent wrote:
Improving my technique. Getting there.

My First Cigars I Rolled Myself 20160110

Yes. You are definitely getting there on the cap technique. Looks almost as good as many production stogies. In fact better than a few I've had the (dis)pleasure of smoking!

Pretty interesting hobby you got going on there!

Cool

Cheers,

RR

My First Cigars I Rolled Myself Purple11x 3My First Cigars I Rolled Myself Bombx10My First Cigars I Rolled Myself Bombx10  My First Cigars I Rolled Myself D6bddf10 My First Cigars I Rolled Myself 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d My First Cigars I Rolled Myself Cowboy13My First Cigars I Rolled Myself 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 8:52 pm

ZeroContent wrote:
puros_bran wrote:

While that would be awesome.  The legal BS is mind boggling.  I looked up the regulation out of curiosity.  Like what if i want to make just like 600 cigars are year available for sale?  It's a friggin' nightmare.  At an end cost of $6 a stick,  You'd have to sell like 3000 a year just to break even from government fees and taxes and required record keeping and material costs.  Stupid government.

This...........
Back to top Go down
ZeroContent

ZeroContent

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 10:36 pm

Getting closer.  Pros on the left, mine on the right.
My First Cigars I Rolled Myself 20160118
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 10:39 pm

Very nice!
Back to top Go down
tslots

tslots

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 12:35 am

Looks great! But looks are secondary. As long as the cigar has an easy draw, burns well and has good flavor, it could look like a turd and still be enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
ZeroContent

ZeroContent

PostSubject: Re: My First Cigars I Rolled Myself   My First Cigars I Rolled Myself EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 12:59 am

tslots wrote:
Looks great!   But looks are secondary.  As long as the cigar has an easy draw, burns well and has good flavor, it could look like a turd and still be enjoyable.

So far everything I've rolled with all long filler has been pretty good. Some a little too loose, some a little too tight but nothing horrible. I've made some cuban sandwiches with scraps, those are too tight or haven't dried out enough yet, they're still a little spongy in the middle so I think they're still wet inside so they're still drying outside of the humidor.

So far my favorite has been cameroon wrapper with CT Broadleaf binder and Nicaraguan Seco filler. All my test smokes should be ready to start tasting next week so then I'll start blending after I get a feel for each leaf on their own.
Back to top Go down

My First Cigars I Rolled Myself
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: