HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Smoking HH Bold Kentucky right now - Loving it but confused

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Smoking HH Bold Kentucky right now - Loving it but confused   Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:39 pm

So this is the third time I've smoked HH Bold Kentucky but the first time i've been able to give it attention. I broke up and put 1 and a quarter flakes into my 80s Peterson billiard. I really really like the flavor. It's really sweet with a little fruitiness to it and a touchy of smoke. I can't put my finger on the fruit flavor I'm tasting though. Smoking it nice and slow. If it wants to go out I let it instead of trying to get it going again so I don't get it too hot. There's no bite, and only a very very faint touch of spicy heat on the back of my tongue. I'm lightly only with matches to keep to the heat down. To give you an idea of how slow I'm smoking, i'm 45 minutes in and haven't made it halfway down the bowl. Now that I'm into it a bit I desired to look up what other people have said about it. People say they get earthyness but I'm not getting that at all. Not that I'm complaining, just the flavor profile to me is totally different than everyone else it seems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
ZeroContent

PostSubject: Re: Smoking HH Bold Kentucky right now - Loving it but confused   Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:43 pm

Oh here's a note that just hit my mind. Oddly enough, black powder. Obviously i've never tasted it, but the smell of fireworks is what this reminds me of.
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Smoking HH Bold Kentucky right now - Loving it but confused   Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:30 am

Earthy pepper...

Not off of HH Bold yada yada. Off of Kentucky in general. I've always tasted black pepper in the mix. Gun Powder? I've actually tasted gun powder, it doesn't taste like gun powder. Very Happy But I can see where it make evoke that thought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroContent

PostSubject: Re: Smoking HH Bold Kentucky right now - Loving it but confused   Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:42 am

Note to self. DO NOT smoke more than about a 1/3 of a bowl. I'm a little jittery from the nic hit. I went 3/4 and it's way too much for me.
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Smoking HH Bold Kentucky right now - Loving it but confused   Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:22 pm

I finished most of a 50g tin. I enjoyed it but I prefer HH Old Dark Fired. I never got any flavor from it that I would consider to be sweet. Honestly it reminds me a bit of full bodied Nicaraguan cigar, lots of flavor but a bit monotone. I don't mean that in a bad way, just that it doesn't change much in terms of flavor. It does have a good bit of spice to it, which I always enjoy. Now Old Dark Fired is definitely sweeter and has more of a bittersweet cocoa note to it.

Strength is up there, but I have smoked a few Gawith offerings that make Bold Kentucky look like a cuddly little rabbit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroContent

PostSubject: Re: Smoking HH Bold Kentucky right now - Loving it but confused   Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:18 pm

Yeah i have a tin of Old Dark Fired that i'll be cracking open soon.
Back to top Go down
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Smoking HH Bold Kentucky right now - Loving it but confused   Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:47 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Strength is up there, but I have smoked a few Gawith offerings that make Bold Kentucky look like a cuddly little rabbit.

Definitely.

I have to say that while ODF is fine, I like the Bold Kentucky better. But I prefer Irish Flake to either of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Smoking HH Bold Kentucky right now - Loving it but confused   Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:37 pm

fsu92john wrote:
But I prefer Irish Flake to either of them.

I also enjoy the flavor of Irish Flake. Of the three, I prefer Old Dark Fired because it's way easier on my system, which often times likes to reject nicotine rather than welcome it in. Wink  

Now if my constitution was a bit more hardened, I'd choose Dark Flake Scented over all of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Smoking HH Bold Kentucky right now - Loving it but confused   Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:07 pm

Haven't tried his one yet. Picked up a tin but used it in a bomb. I'll get to it when I get caught up in 4 or 5 years! Quality problems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroContent

PostSubject: Re: Smoking HH Bold Kentucky right now - Loving it but confused   Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:52 pm

Of the two (ODF and BK) I like Bold Kentucky better. ODF just has no sweetness for me at all. I need a little bit of sweetness to balance it out. That said, Bold Kentucky definitely throws me for a loop on the nic hit. 2 flakes usually fit into my pipes, maybe I'll just use 1 from now on or smoke it with a can of cola or something to avoid the sugar crash.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Smoking HH Bold Kentucky right now - Loving it but confused   Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:24 pm

ODF doesn't wind me up too much nic wise, but I do usually need to put the bowl down halfway through and get a drink of water as I can feel the tightness in the throat starting. That's usually a good sign the hics are on the way!

If BK has more oomph than that it might not be a good choice for this dude!

silent

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Smoking HH Bold Kentucky right now - Loving it but confused   Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:42 am

Along this type of flake, have y'all tried Rattray's Stirling Flake? Similar but different.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Smoking HH Bold Kentucky right now - Loving it but confused   Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:46 pm

Carlos wrote:
Along this type of flake, have y'all tried Rattray's Stirling Flake?  Similar but different.  

Yes, and it's excellent. But I was under the impression that it's just Irish Flake under a different name. Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Smoking HH Bold Kentucky right now - Loving it but confused   Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:07 pm

fsu92john wrote:
Carlos wrote:
Along this type of flake, have y'all tried Rattray's Stirling Flake?  Similar but different.  

Yes, and it's excellent. But I was under the impression that it's just Irish Flake under a different name. Question

I found it easier to rub out and smoke. But that could be a difference in the processing as my Irish Flake has age on it.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Smoking HH Bold Kentucky right now - Loving it but confused
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1