HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:35 pm

So do you lean British, Italian, French, Greek, Turkish, Danish, or American? Or are you all mixed up? Smile

I obviously lean Italian. So what's your fancy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:41 pm

Don't care. If it's brair, well made and it looks cool, it's okay in my book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:44 pm

ZeroContent wrote:
Don't care.  If it's brair, well made and it looks cool, it's okay in my book.

This for sure. Out of the over 100 pipes I now have probably half are British as that's what were mostly available back in the '70s when I bought most of my pipes. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:46 pm

Brings up another point though. Such as Clay, Cob, Briar, or Meer. (I'm just trying to generate a little discussion, no agenda.) Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:58 pm

Briar for me, don't mind meer or whatever, but briar is king for both beauty and durability. If I had to buy only one brand of pipe from now on it would be Castello. I don't mind lucite, I sure hate beat-up greeny/gray vulcanite, it tastes awful.... And I like bigger pipes generally, so I'd stick with Italian stuff.

I'm one of those "perfect smoke" seekers, I demand that pipes perform flawlessly over and over again, and for me, the Italian mid/high grade is where it's at.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:02 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
Briar for me, don't mind meer or whatever, but briar is king for both beauty and durability.   If I had to buy only one brand of pipe from now on it would be Castello.    I don't mind lucite, I sure hate beat-up greeny/gray vulcanite, it tastes awful....    And I like bigger pipes generally, so I'd stick with Italian stuff.  

I'm one of those "perfect smoke" seekers, I demand that pipes perform flawlessly over and over again, and for me, the Italian mid/high grade is where it's at.  

Heh, I take it from your nick, which of course I could be wrong about, that you aren't one of the dainty folk either. I'm large myself, so I don't find small pipes work for me. I don't really own anything under about 5 1/4, which is about as small as I go, and that rarely. Nosewarmers just don't work for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:31 pm

Italy for wood, England for shapes, Missouri for easy smoking, Turkey for pain-in-the-ass overrated smokes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:41 pm

Mostly English makes here. A few Italiani, Danish, etc.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:04 pm

2/3 of my pipe collection are Stanwell.

Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:13 pm

I'm all over the map with regard to country or origin. No particular preference, really. Although the most represented countries are (in no particular order) Irish, Italian, and American.

I have but one meer that doesn't get much use (pity, that - it's a nice enough pipe), a couple clays that have been used once or twice, and a pretty good collection of cobs.

But Briar is king here at chez Brewdude!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:52 pm

Let's see, in somewhat common use, 5 falcons (4 briar bowls, one meer), 10 meers, 5 cobs, a bog oak, a gourd calabash, a rosewood, and a clay; so the other 29/30 or so should be briars. Nationality? no idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:44 pm

Hummm well there are 2 old Austrian meers, a few small Turkish meers, an ancient gourd calabash, 3 clays, as for briars I'd have to say most are English or American in make. One from Portugal a few from France. No Italians as of yet. Or course a fair number of cobs too.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:51 pm

Mine are almost all briars. I have five or six cobs, one meerschaum, one pear-wood, and one gourd. The other thirty or so are Briar. At least half are Italian (mostly Mastros and Savinellis).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:54 pm

When I was a youngster my father and I were a team. He'd design and build r/c model planes (with a little help from me) and I'd fly them. When a new model was on the drawing board I'd often ask 'will it fly well dad?'. The answer was always the same.
'Son, if it looks right, it'll fly right'.
I'm not bothered where a pipe comes from. If it looks right...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:10 am

U.S. made here.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:07 am

Mostly older English and French pipes, but with a growing selection of artisans (especially Americans). I do have some Italians that I can't seem to let go, but by and large they don't float my boat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:48 pm

Heavy on the English as that was the most available in the 60's/70's when I acquired many of my briars. I do have Irish, Italian, maybe a French-made GBD or two, many meers (all Turkish), many Americans (including some really old ones with amber bits), plus clays and cobs/maples/apples/olivewoods, etc. Don't much care for the "Danish" school of pipes. Have one Eric Nording. No German, French, Austrian, Greek, Russian, Japanese, etc. cheers FTRPLT

Last edited by ftrplt on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Sasquatch wrote:

Italian/Savinelli for me.

The Brits also made some good pipes though. That was way back when. Therefor I have a couple of old Sasieni and GBD pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puffer Mark

Registration date : 2014-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:01 am

Richard Burley wrote:
Italy for wood, England for shapes, Missouri for easy smoking, Turkey for pain-in-the-ass overrated smokes.

What he said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:16 am

Yeah, I'm all over the map as well: German, American, Italian, Irish, South African, Danish, Canadian. Most of my pipes are American, but that is partly because of the plethora of talent in the pipe making world within the States.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:13 pm

From the git-go, I've mostly been drawn to Italian pipes. I prefer the low-maintenance lucite stems. I like the carved finishes. But I've owned a lot of English pipes, too. Never been too interested in Danish pipes, though I do enjoy looking at them sometimes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?   Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:26 pm

Right now and for the next few years it is England for me. I have about 20 or so more British pipes to have made then I can move on to Italians. Slow and long process that started back in Dec of 2014 to replace the pipes I sold back in 2010 when I quit smoking. Up to 6 pipes now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Ok, so are you single nationality or varied?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1