HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Coon traps work for everything!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Coon traps work for everything! Empty
PostSubject: Coon traps work for everything!   Coon traps work for everything! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 10:25 am

Started setting outdioor traps to lure and rid my crawl space of a family of coons (2 juvies at least). So far have gotten a skulking possum and a big mama skunk. I think I need to move the trap closer to the coon run to cash in on that population.

What with the cross species success I'm just hoping I don't chum in a Cougar. I don't think they like mini marshmallows though.

Coon traps work for everything! D6bddf10Coon traps work for everything! 29400910Coon traps work for everything! 114e6110Coon traps work for everything! Ddb39b10Coon traps work for everything! Cf77ce10Coon traps work for everything! Dd692012Coon traps work for everything! Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
kaitlyn3837

kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Coon traps work for everything!   Coon traps work for everything! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 11:12 am

Oh man! I would totally freak out if I caught a skunk! Are they catch and release traps or dead on the spot traps? If it kills them, do you skin them and keep the pelts?

Just curious because I have never done any trapping!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Coon traps work for everything!   Coon traps work for everything! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 1:19 pm

In this state traps have to be 'catch and release' and animals turned over to State Fish & Wildlife for 'humane' disposal.

While possums are nasty, hissy, bitey, ugly vermin...skunks are gorgeous with long sleek pelts. I hate to terminate her, but since living in the same arena causes significant problems (my dog and I have been 'skunked' once by this one) she needs to go.

If I had a trapping license it would be different...but then I don't think neighborhood trapping is allowed. Regs are easily found online.

Coon traps work for everything! D6bddf10Coon traps work for everything! 29400910Coon traps work for everything! 114e6110Coon traps work for everything! Ddb39b10Coon traps work for everything! Cf77ce10Coon traps work for everything! Dd692012Coon traps work for everything! Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Coon traps work for everything!   Coon traps work for everything! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 3:13 pm

Ok, my question is how did you move the skunk without getting sprayed? They are live traps?

-Yak
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Coon traps work for everything!   Coon traps work for everything! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 3:49 pm

Toss a tarp over the trap before picking it up.

Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Coon traps work for everything!   Coon traps work for everything! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 3:57 pm

Ok, gotcha. Still, it would be pretty risky. Skunks stiiiiiink!

When we lived up in SF we had a few raccoon visitors in the house. They'd get in through the cat door and feast on the cat food in the kitchen. I remember one evening I went in there and found all three cats seated patitenly watching a huge raccoon nibble away at their kibble. What was most surprising was how the cats just sat there watching. No hissing or anything. The 'coon was in no hurry whatsoever, even when I walked in. Shocked

-Yak
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Coon traps work for everything!   Coon traps work for everything! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 4:03 pm

I've been skunked...so has my fearless idiotic pug, Watson. But skunks just have one shot then it takes several days to build up another charge.

Coons, on the other hand, are dangerous and extremely destructive.

Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Coon traps work for everything!   Coon traps work for everything! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 6:13 pm

And that silly little dance they do right before they spray is pretty darn cute. Once.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Coon traps work for everything!   Coon traps work for everything! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 6:54 pm

MisterE wrote:
Ok, gotcha. Still, it would be pretty risky. Skunks stiiiiiink!

When we lived up in SF we had a few raccoon visitors in the house. They'd get in through the cat door and feast on the cat food in the kitchen. I remember one evening I went in there and found all three cats seated patitenly watching a huge raccoon nibble away at their kibble. What was most surprising was how the cats just sat there watching. No hissing or anything. The 'coon was in no hurry whatsoever, even when I walked in. Shocked

Just shows how smart kittehs are !! A coon can kill a cat in a minute ! They can be vicious critters !! And they are VERY SMART !! I had some visit my backyard when I was trapping some feral kittehs and watched how they would sit back and watch the kittehs when they got trapped !! They are one of the hardest critters to get in a humane trap !!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Coon traps work for everything!   Coon traps work for everything! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 8:11 pm

They're not hard.to trap at all. Just needs the right bait and be in the right place.

Rats! Now RATS are smart.

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Coon traps work for everything!   Coon traps work for everything! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 8:38 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
I've been skunked...so has my fearless idiotic pug, Watson. But skunks just have one shot then it takes several days to build up another charge.

Coons, on the other hand, are dangerous and extremely destructive.

This without hesitation or thinking. Don't ask me how I know.....

Mad

No Cheers,

RR

Coon traps work for everything! Purple11x 3Coon traps work for everything! Bombx10Coon traps work for everything! Bombx10  Coon traps work for everything! D6bddf10 Coon traps work for everything! 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Coon traps work for everything! Cowboy13Coon traps work for everything! 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Coon traps work for everything!   Coon traps work for everything! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 10:14 pm

Opossum are promptly dispatched on sight on my premises. In the past it was legal to kill nuisance animals, I assume it still is but really don't care either way.

Two semi-funny stories.

I've had a possum problem with the nasty buggers getting brazen enough to climb up on my porch to stay the night. These are quite large specimen as they had been eating the cats food. One night I shot the largest possum I had ever personally seen three times with a 10/22. He just kept walking. I was astounded. I know I hit him because I watched the hits.. He didn't come up on the porch anymore so I assumed he crawled off and died. Fast forward a couple months. I let the dog out. Something pinged in my brain while I was turning my Walker around in the hallway. I reopened the door and the damn possum was sitting on the rail of my porch. I had earlier been shooting spiders on the woodpile with my NAA mini loaded with 22lr rat shot. 22lr rat shot pisses a possum off. I was in the middle of an adrenalin dump (shocked me too..lol ) when suddenly he fell off the porch dead. Luckily I had loaded the last two rounds with HP's in case a snake ambled out of the pile. The next morning I examined the carcass.. He was a mess but you could see the scars from the earlier shots.. Same SOB..

The next and slightly less funny story. Coon hunting was big sport when I came up. One of the deacons at the church I attended took this abandoned child under his wing and taught him the fine art of coon hunting. The only problem was his dogs were so bad at coon hunting the only thing they ever treed was possum.. After a season or two we finally just admitted we were going possum hunting. Everyone thought that was a riot.
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Coon traps work for everything!   Coon traps work for everything! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 10:39 pm

Spider hunting? Like actual spiders? Is that a sport in KY? Or a Peeb thang....

-Yak
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Coon traps work for everything!   Coon traps work for everything! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 10:48 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
And that silly little dance they do right before they spray is pretty darn cute. Once.

once......

Coon traps work for everything! Johnny10
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Coon traps work for everything!   Coon traps work for everything! EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 12:00 am

MisterE wrote:
Spider hunting? Like actual spiders? Is that a sport in KY? Or a Peeb thang....

I really hate spiders.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Coon traps work for everything!   Coon traps work for everything! EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 1:38 am

Spiders are our garden friends...mostly.

Remember James Bond killing the Tarantula with his slipper? Now THERE'S a guy who hates spiders!

https://youtu.be/7GYA96yXTaQ

Back to top Go down

Coon traps work for everything!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: