HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Anniversary

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Anniversary   Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:18 pm

Is B.O.B. about to have their first Anniversary, I'm still relatively new here and haven't searched through all the archives but it seems that about the 9th of December of 07 is when things got started around here. Any old guys want to comment, fill us newbies in on the history of BOB.
Back to top Go down
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:42 pm

Yes BoB started December 9th 2007. The first members were made up of people from the Knoxcigar board. There was some concern on whether or not Knox would continue to host the board being they were going to stop their online sales. There were also some technical problems arising that weren't being addressed so I decided to start BoB.

On the Knoxcigar board there was a chat function that didn't work for some users so I set up a simple chatroom on one of my servers and some of us would get together for chats quite often. So when the problems arose on the board I used the contact information I had from my chatroom to send out the initial invites to BoB.

BoB is hosted completely for free by forumotion.com, the only cost associated with the board is the domain name which is only about ten dollars a year. Time spent maintaining and administrating is donated by members. Even our logo was donated by a fine gentleman named Christopher Noble.

As BoB started to grow we started having some conflicts between members and it was a situation that I became increasingly uncomfortable dealing with so I first started the Council. A group of existing members who I asked to get together to make decisions regarding problems on the board. All members having an equal say and vote.

We continued to have growing pains and I decided that I would much rather not have control over the board so I asked members of the Council if any of them would like to take over control. Danish Pipe Guy stepped up and started putting the time in to shape the board into what it is today.

There were some technical issues that required me to maintain my full administrator status, mostly that I tied the board to my personal email account which can not be changed. It worked out fine though and I'm happy to say that even though we still have spats in the Rubber Room, we all get along pretty well now.

All in all I'm quite happy with the way things have turned out. Great bunch of folks have come together here.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:04 pm

Just for the record I didn't want any of you schmucks on the board... Very Happy

I think the real family tree traces back to a board called Stokers Haven..

Stokers Haven guys didn't have a chatroom so they would go to Knox Cigars chatroom on thursday nights. When Stokers exploded some of the members started using Knox Cigars board... When Knox screwed up J begat BoB. The cool thing is we have old Stokers members here, some like Carlos & Chuck are treasures, others like Jp..well let's just leave that unsaid. Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
free_byrd15

Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:32 pm

nice! I was ignorant to this subject, not knowing it was started less than a year ago. Well, i'm happy it's made it this far cause I love the place!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:15 pm

Never did the Smoker's Haven board; I got started on the old JR Cigar BB, migrating to Knox when the JR board went under. I've tried some of the other boards; they are fine, I just don't have time for all of them. This board and group gets me in more than enough PAD & TAD trouble as it is!!! I don't need more temptations!!!! santa FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:06 pm

Thanks to EJinva, the BoB's council will now remember the Annual Membership Fee.

Is it still $50?

I was instructed to send the money in cash to PB and I'm still waiting for a receipt from a year ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:08 pm

Slow Puffs wrote:
Thanks to EJinva, the BoB's council will now remember the Annual Membership Fee.

Is it still $50?

I was instructed to send the money in cash to PB and I'm still waiting for a receipt from a year ago.

Checks in the mail. bom
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:22 pm

Actually we had to raise the fee by 10% due to the economy of running the board.. And don't forget the 20% fuel surcharge.. And a $3 handling fuel. So please remit $69 in cash,certified check, or USPS money order to

BoB
C/o PB
555 Pb way
Brandenburg,Ky
40404-0404
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:22 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Just for the record I didn't want any of you schmucks on the board... Very Happy

I think the real family tree traces back to a board called Stokers Haven..

Stokers Haven guys didn't have a chatroom so they would go to Knox Cigars chatroom on thursday nights. When Stokers exploded some of the members started using Knox Cigars board... When Knox screwed up J begat BoB. The cool thing is we have old Stokers members here, some like Carlos & Chuck are treasures, others like Jp..well let's just leave that unsaid. Very Happy Very Happy

Well, if you want to really go back in the family tree............a lot of us originated on the (going way back) JR Cigars BB pipes section which ended up becoming a Yahoo Group that eventually led to Stokers Haven Some of us spent time between Stokers Haven and Knox which begat BoB.

For some reason I have always been labeled the troublemaker in the bunch. I just don't understand it. Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks PB!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:34 pm

One year and almost 500 users. Not bad! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:43 pm

Justpipes wrote:

For some reason I have always been labeled the troublemaker in the bunch. I just don't understand it. Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks PB!

Clue... count how many different posts there are about Walnut. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:46 pm

Jp the 'Stokers Haven' Yahoo group is actually the second incarnation, started after the troubles on the first (which is why #2 was invitation only)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:01 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Just for the record I didn't want any of you schmucks on the board.
It wouldn't be any fun if you did. I'm only here to pester PB, to rile up TJ and to spray for Walnut infestation Cool

Midnight Blues
Vinyl`meister

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:16 am

Its hard to believe its been a year already, a lot of water has surely passed under the bridge. I'm proud and honored to belong to such a great group...

Here's to year 2!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
regor

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:23 am

There sure are some great people here that do care about others as much as themselves. Some mighty fine people!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:03 am

Happy birthday BoB!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aaronjoliver.tumblr.com
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:23 pm

Happy Birthday BoB! cheers

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Benjamin Button

Registration date : 2008-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:36 pm

I'm relatively new here but Happy Anniversary BoB...glad to be a member here!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:14 pm

Been a long year aint it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:35 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Jp the 'Stokers Haven' Yahoo group is actually the second incarnation, started after the troubles on the first (which is why #2 was invitation only)

You're right. That is why I was saying going way back to the first yahoo group immediately after the JRBB died.

Well, it really dosen't matter. We are where we are and better off for it in my humble opinion. This is a great web community that goes beyond just being an internet community. There are probably very few and far between such communities on the net in any category that can boast that!!!

Happy birthday BoB!!!!!!!!! cheers

I think we need to throw a big party sometime in Jan. - Feb. at Lamberts out in Missouri! I'm up for a whirlwind tour of the near midwest!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:45 pm

Jan-feb???? How bout Thursday? Lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SmokeyTweed

Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:07 pm

Happy Anniversary BoB! jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
regor

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:48 pm

I'm sure happy that this place is here!!! It sure has been a help to me and a lot of others as well I asume. Very generous and caring people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:25 pm

I'm glad to have stumbled on this place too. Although an on-off smoker for years I was an ignorant smoker. BOB has opened a new world to me that I never knew existed, I'm continually learning about the different varieties of tobacco, the different styles and makers of pipes, even new bourbons and beers. I'm glad to have the reviews and varied opinions to glean from to help me on the way in this wonderful world of pipe smoking. I appreciate all the different personalities, beliefs and political views; the different nationalities that frequent here also add to the mix.
My thanks to those that laid the foundation and had the forsight to start such an endeavor, and to those that have contributed along the way.
My thanks to all those that give out of their abundance and from the heart to fellow pipers and to our soldiers serving in harms way and away from home.
My thanks for a group that pulls up their Brothers in times of need and loss.
Let us lift our pipes high and smoke a bowl of our best and salute our own Band of Brothers (and Sisters).
Back to top Go down
eggman
Cornholio

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Anniversary   Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:33 pm

JP a meeting at Lamberts celebrating the anniversary of BOB is a great idea. I am all for it.

I too was a member at the 2 Stokers Haven groups. Some members I remember and some I have forgoten. Yarnspinner is a old member that I would really like to hear from and hear how he and his wife are doing now.

Happy Birthday BOB
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Anniversary
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next