HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

making pipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: making pipes    Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:30 pm

i got a lathe and a drill press im going to make some pipes and as soon as i have a few done not sure when that would be as of right now as im getting ready for the planting season as im a small farmer but as soon as i do i would like to send some out to get tried and get an idea of what people think i will most likely be using white oak to make them i made one white oak pipe and i like it a lot but would like to get some other peoples ideas and opinios

if any one would like to try a white oak pipe pm me and i could get started on one for you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: making pipes    Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:46 pm

Unsure of the toxicities of white oak, maybe none, just be careful what you make them out of, don't want you or anyone else getting sick. Briar and Olive wood are perfect for pipes and readily available. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: white oak pipe    Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:48 pm

just do a simple google search many people sell them make them and use them all the time I smoke one every day

While Briar pipes are by far the most common wooden pipes, a wide range of other woods have been used. Times in which briar is scarce or completely unavailable (war, economic depression, etc.) have prompted curious carvers to explore the properties of less expensive and more abundant materials. While softer, less porous or more susceptible to burning than briar, a temporary solution is often better than not smoking at all. The following woods have been used for smoking pipes to various extents:

Maple, Cherry, Black Walnut, Oak, Olive, Rosewood, Manzanita, Mesquite-wood, Beech, Hickory, Mountain Laurel, Mahogany, Ebony

I have done my research
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: making pipes    Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:16 am

Each of the woods listed will also provide a very distinct flavor profile to the smoke as well. I'm quite partial to the flavor black walnut gives my cobs when I plug the bottoms with it. I didn't realize anyone used mesquite but I expect it would be phenomenal with lat blends.

Please post pics of your creations in the DIY section I'm sure you'll get plenty of feed back on your shaping and proportions etc.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: making pipes    Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:24 am

a soon as im able to post pics ill be glad to but I found I am not able to right yet
Back to top Go down
View user profile

making pipes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1