HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Recent site weirdness

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LL

avatar

Location : KCMO
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Recent site weirdness   Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:41 am

Just encountered some straight-up malware here about ten minutes ago.

Tried to edit a post, and the instant I hit enter a browser hijack occurred that locked my machine until I clicked a popup box's download button.

I didn't of course, and know how to end-run those assholes, but not everyone does.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Recent site weirdness   Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:52 am

LL wrote:
Just encountered some straight-up malware here about ten minutes ago.

Tried to edit a post, and the instant I hit enter a browser hijack occurred that locked my machine until I clicked a popup box's download button.  

I didn't of course, and know how to end-run those assholes, but not everyone does.


Well...fill us in.
What did this thing look like and how'd ya fix it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

avatar

Location : KCMO
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Recent site weirdness   Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:12 am

It was one of those "clean & update your browser" popupss that locks everything hoping you know no other way out except to click OK and download something. It even disables your "force quit" menu.

The way to dodge them is to power down your machine with its on/off button, disconnect your Internet line, then power back up and delete your browser history and all your cookies & etc. before returning to the site that launched it (it will immediately re-capture your browser if you don't).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Recent site weirdness   Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:14 am

Thanks.


I saw the other day these scoundrels highjacked a hospital and held it for ransom.
They paid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

avatar

Location : KCMO
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Recent site weirdness   Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:29 am

Yeah, that was military grade encryption stuff at the hospital. So far NO one has been able to crack it. The security pros say it comes out of Russia / Eastern Europe.

The single machine browser capture BS (so far) isn't serious. Mostly designed to catch housewives and casual users who just click through, and the installed shit doesn't interfere with your machine after that in the user experience sense of the word. It just lets bad guys control it remotely as a spam bot (the processing occurs in the background) whenever there's a CPU-light task underway (which is most of the time with modern machines---they have WAY more horsepower than needed for forums, ebay, Amazon, Facebook & etc.)

It still damn well don't want it there, of course. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bob&sam

avatar

Location : Rhode Island, US
Registration date : 2016-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Recent site weirdness   Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:50 pm

Hermit wrote:
Speaking of site weirdness, is Smoker's Forums gone for good this time?


I am also interested if anyone here has info about what happened to
SF.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Recent site weirdness   Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:12 pm

LL wrote:
It was one of those "clean & update your browser" popupss that locks everything hoping you know no other way out except to click OK and download something.  It even disables your "force quit" menu.

The way to dodge them is to power down your machine with its on/off button, disconnect your Internet line, then power back up and delete your browser history and all your cookies & etc. before returning to the site that launched it (it will immediately re-capture your browser if you don't).


This is very good to know. Thanks for sharing.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Hermit

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Recent site weirdness   Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:03 pm

bob&sam wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Speaking of site weirdness, is Smoker's Forums gone for good this time?


I am also interested if anyone here has info about what happened to
SF.


Saw this today...
Quote :
We are very sorry for the Smokers Forums to be offline for so long, we are trying everything within our power to get it back up and running, the data centre that hosts SF has had a major power outage which in turn corrupted the SF database, we have been unsuccessful with trying to restore the data to date but rest assured we are still trying .

If they have to start from scratch again, I don't think they'll make it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin
avatar

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Recent site weirdness   Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:30 am

Hermit wrote:


If they have to start from scratch again, I don't think they'll make it.



Yeah, the last glitch they had was tough.

_________________
.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Recent site weirdness   Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:11 pm

SF is back, but it appears they may have lost the last couple of years of content.
I hope they can restore the corrupt data. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Recent site weirdness   Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:59 pm

No problems with this site for the last few weeks. Have yet to try and download Adblocker Plus or the like.



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
 
Recent site weirdness
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: