HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A piper's blade bin

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: A piper's blade bin   Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:58 pm

Being that I have now started using a DE safety razor the problem of disposing of used blades safely has presented itself.  I didn't just want to cast them into the bin for some recycling chap to cut himself on my old blades and catch one of the exotic diseases I've been harbouring for the past few decades Wink

After a bit of chin stroking [a very smooth chin] I came up with this:

I've been storing my used tins as I thought I'd find a use for them one day.  Out of a cast of many I chose this one.

I punched a slot in the lid making sure it was bigger than the blade holes, rolled back the edges and hammered the slot flat from the inside.  The blade was then dulled and glued in place before a layer of varnish was applied the label and blade to prevent wrinkling in the humidity of the bathroom.

Et voila!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: A piper's blade bin   Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:11 pm

They sell what they call a blade safe at most suppliers : http://www.classicshaving.com/razor-blade-safe.html#.VrZf9cv2aUk but I like yours better ! Here in the US, most of the bathroom in wall cabinets with a hinged mirror door used to have a slot in the back which allowed a person to drop used blades down behind the wall between the wall studs where the cabinet was mounted !! I'm not sure if they are still made that way but mine at my house was so that's what I use!! Easy/peasy !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A piper's blade bin   Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Neat idea Stick, good for you. Just goes to show ya not all of us live in 100 year old houses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
nismo270r

Registration date : 2011-03-22

PostSubject: Re: A piper's blade bin   Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:20 pm

Looks great Stick! I had a similar idea, it's just no where near as pretty:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A piper's blade bin   Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:52 pm

monbla256 wrote:
They sell what they call a blade safe at most suppliers :  http://www.classicshaving.com/razor-blade-safe.html#.VrZf9cv2aUk  but I like yours better !  Here in the US, most of the bathroom in wall cabinets with a hinged mirror door used to have a slot in the back which allowed a person to drop used blades down behind the wall between the wall studs where the cabinet was mounted !! I'm not sure if they are still made that way but mine at my house was so that's what I use!! Easy/peasy !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I clearly remember these Michael. Had one in every place I lived from about '70 for a good number of years.

The house I mostly grew up in (early '60's) didn't have a wall cabinet in the bathroom as it was a newer more "modern" ranch style and had a a large flat mirror above the sink. Drawers were the feature back then.

Yet all the older digs I frequented after I moved out had this feature. Looks like it''s relegated to the dustbin of history!

Pardon me for intruding on this thread, as I have a beard and don't shave anything except my neck once/week. Or when I feel like it!

tongue

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: A piper's blade bin   Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:45 am

I just re-wrap them with the fresh blade wrapper, then insert into an empty blade container. I've only cut myself a few times doing this, and not even once when sober.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A piper's blade bin
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Haberdashery-
Jump to: