HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Easy to open tin?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Easy to open tin?   Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:04 pm

Got my order from Smoking Pipes today. Took advantage of the Mac Baren's 15% off sale, so I decided to up my stash of Vintage Syrian and explore their Acadian Perique. The box was fine, sharp corners, seals not broken, no holes. I rarely see packages arrive in this good of condition here, it usually looks like the Wells Fargo stage coach dragged it behind them while being chased by Banditos. I opened the box and it was very well packed, lots of paper, all good.

Pulled the tins out and saw this..............

The Syrian looked like it got hit with an ax. There will be no twisting this lid off, I will most likely destroy the tin getting it open. I'm sure the seal is not intact. The Acadian? Pristine.

So, I email the vendor, and ask if there was a solution. I was willing to return the tin, send a photo, whatever, but I was bummed and thought they could do something. Inside of two hours I received a reply from them....

"Robert, sorry to hear you had a problem with the order. Here's what I've done for the moment, I've placed the cost of the tin ($17.69) on your house account so if in fact the seal is compromised and there's anything wrong with the tobacco, we can get another tin right out to you. If the tobacco itself is fine, as long as you can live with a dented tin or putting the tobacco in a jar then all the better, you'll have the money to try a new blend with! Either way the house account is there and we'll make sure we get you taken care of. Hope this helps and again, our apologies."
Regards,
Keith Toney
Customer Service
Smokingpipes.com
1-888-366-0345

Excellent customer service at work here, in my opinion! Just thought y'all should know....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:11 pm

Yup. SP has always been a class act and their CS is second to none in my experience.

Glad to hear they're on it for you Ozzy. I wouldn't have expected anything less!

cheers

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:37 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Yup. SP has always been a class act and their CS is second to none in my experience.

Glad to hear they're on it for you Ozzy. I wouldn't have expected anything less!

cheers

Cheers,

RR

Gotta agree with BD (not that I wouldn't anyway), sounds like Smoking Pipes dot com, they've always done good by me. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:52 pm

Yeah, no cellaring that tin. A jar is a must.

SP.com is one of the only big box vendors I do business with. They have always done right by me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:23 am

Jolly decent of them.

Other vendors please take note.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:06 am

I've always kind of viewed Smokingpipes.com as BoB's house vendor. There was a time when SP.com and Mars Cigars were the only vendors anyone on here ever mentioned.

Some years back I was displaced by a tornado that took up home relocation as a side gig, modeling for the weather channel doesn't pay what you'd think. Anyway the crew passed the hat and SP.com set up an account for me to refurbish the missing smoking gear. SP.com proper didn't donate to the cause, not wanting to set a precedence I would imagine, but several of the gang down there kicked into the shipping box. With the exception of that groupon deal last year, I've never ordered anywhere else since. If that was the goal it worked, but I truly believe they just wanted to help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:41 am

Though other vendors may have better "deals" in the over 6 years I've dealt with SP they have been the BEST in ALL aspects . They are my prime source of the 6 blend/mixtures I buy and always will be Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:33 pm

On the bright side, you'll have to crack 'er open to get her jarred up anyway, so now you can still cellar it and help yourself to a bowl or two before it gets tucked away.

Glad do hear SP did right by you - always been a good group to work with, in my experience.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:46 pm

Great folks with whom to do business. CS is #1. Should any of you travel even near Little River/Myrtle Beach, SC; you just gotta' stop by their B&M!!! Even my wife thought it was a great place to visit for a while! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:00 pm

Well my daughter, in Orlando, is about to get a fair sized tobacco order ready for my visit at the begiinning of May (shh... she doesn't know yet Smile) so, given the above, SP will be suggested (wouldn't dare tell her Evil or Very Mad )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:44 am

I normally just rip those lids off anyways if I'm going to jar it. I don't have the time to spin them off. Seriously, you won't have any problem getting in there even with that dent. Though I would be kinda excited if you did. I'd love to hear any great conundrum solved with your Ozark ingenuity. SP is the premier large entity online retailer imho. Good on 'em.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:48 am

Could have had something to do with the trip on the plane from Denmark to the USA...the changes in pressure.
Back to top Go down
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:17 pm

Lord Guyrox wrote:
Could have had something to do with the trip on the plane from Denmark to the USA...the changes in pressure.

I say chaps. Perhaps the old bird copped a packet in number 3 starboard, and in the scramble to dowse the flames young Smythe (bloody nice bloke) kicked the crate containing said tin?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:22 pm

Stick wrote:
Lord Guyrox wrote:

I say chaps. Perhaps the old bird copped a packet in number 3 starboard, and in the scramble to dowse the flames young Smythe  (bloody nice bloke) kicked the crate containing said tin?

Old Boy, I must retract my words. I did not read all of Wizard's comments. I thought he had tried to open it with a coin and, despite breaking 3 fingers and 5 coins, did not manage to any results besides the heavily dented tin. Embarassed

But yes, young Smythe is one fine dandy, indeed! lol!
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:28 pm

Stick wrote:
Lord Guyrox wrote:

I say chaps. Perhaps the old bird copped a packet in number 3 starboard, and in the scramble to dowse the flames young Smythe  (bloody nice bloke) kicked the crate containing said tin?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:35 pm

Stick wrote:
Lord Guyrox wrote:

You need to throw a comma in between "I say" and "chaps", as the emphasis is put on the "I say" because what follows is a totally relevant theory on what happened to Ol' Wiz's tin.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:40 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Got my order from Smoking Pipes today. Took advantage of the Mac Baren's 15% off sale, so I decided to up my stash of Vintage Syrian and explore their Acadian Perique. The box was fine, sharp corners, seals not broken, no holes. I rarely see packages arrive in this good of condition here, it usually looks like the Wells Fargo stage coach dragged it behind them while being chased by Banditos. I opened the box and it was very well packed, lots of paper, all good.

Pulled the tins out and saw this..............

The Syrian looked like it got hit with an ax. There will be no twisting this lid off, I will most likely destroy the tin getting it open. I'm sure the seal is not intact. The Acadian? Pristine.

So, I email the vendor, and ask if there was a solution. I was willing to return the tin, send a photo, whatever, but I was bummed and thought they could do something. Inside of two hours I received a reply from them....

"Robert, sorry to hear you had a problem with the order. Here's what I've done for the moment, I've placed the cost of the tin ($17.69) on your house account so if in fact the seal is compromised and there's anything wrong with the tobacco, we can get another tin right out to you. If the tobacco itself is fine, as long as you can live with a dented tin or putting the tobacco in a jar then all the better, you'll have the money to try a new blend with! Either way the house account is there and we'll make sure we get you taken care of. Hope this helps and again, our apologies."
Regards,
Keith Toney
Customer Service
Smokingpipes.com
1-888-366-0345

Excellent customer service at work here, in my opinion! Just thought y'all should know....

As it says on the tin it's now "easy to open" Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:52 pm

Hahaha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:41 pm

Well, today I finished a jar of Nightcap, washed it out and got out the distressed tin. Stuck a butter knife under the good part of the lid and no 'woosh'. So, the seal was gone. A little prying around the dent and got it opened, stuffed it in the jar and labeled it. Pulled two bowls to smoke and it was a tad dry, but not crispy.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:42 pm

Well, if there's a guy that knows how to play with baccy it'd have to be one of our resident manufacturer/blenders, right? If it hasn't gotten to crispy yet it's probably fine with a little care I would guess. But hope you don't keep getting them that way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:06 pm

I use Smokingpipes for pretty much all my ordering online. With the bombing run timing, they will hold off on shipping something to make sure it gets there in good time if you ask. I even like to order with them on the phone, and most of the copywriters who work there man the phones too. Very well informed people there. I would recommend them to anybody.

And that Arcadian perique is a fantastic blend too
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:35 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
I use Smokingpipes for pretty much all my ordering online. With the bombing run timing, they will hold off on shipping something to make sure it gets there in good time if you ask. I even like to order with them on the phone, and most of the copywriters who work there man the phones too. Very well informed people there. I would recommend them to anybody.

Aaaah, welllllllllll, I'm sort of struggling with the Acadian Perique.... I'm giving it a moment....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:47 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Jevverrett wrote:

Aaaah, welllllllllll, I'm sort of struggling with the Acadian Perique.... I'm giving it a moment....

For myself, I went easy on it initially. I was still a bit new to the dark fired components. It is a pretty full bodied blend. It grew on me though. One of the blends you make has perique and maduro leaf in it, and I thought that blend was in the same vein somewhat. I found it really opened up in a smaller bowled pipe at first like the one you sent me, and the little clay I got in my bombing. By the time I finished the tin, I found myself really liking it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:13 pm

I'll try a smaller bowl then... Maybe it will change a few things. It may be a moisture issue as well. My blends tend to run a bit drier lightly cased and not topped.

I dunno...... Still giving it a go once a week or so. I just seem to have too many blends open at a time, and my taste buds are slamming down Syrian Latakia like Hershey Kisses of late...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Easy to open tin?   Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:18 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
I'll try a smaller bowl then... Maybe it will change a few things. It may be a moisture issue as well. My blends tend to run a bit drier lightly cased and not topped.

I dunno...... Still giving it a go once a week or so. I just seem to have too many blends open at a time, and my taste buds are slamming down Syrian Latakia like Hershey Kisses of late...

Heh, You ought to love John Cotton's Smyrna then... Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Easy to open tin?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1