HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Gums Irritated When Smoking Mac Baren's ODF

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Gums Irritated When Smoking Mac Baren's ODF   Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Gents,
I don't know if I'm hallucinating this. I opened a tin of ODF last week, it was a couple years old. After 10 minutes of smoking a pipeful, I noticed my gums were irritated to the point where they swelled up. Not wanting to jump to hasty conclusions, I smoked another 3 pipefuls throughout the week, but the result is the same.
This only happens with this tobacco, regardless of the pipe I have been using. I am also smoking GL Pease Triple Play and Peterson Irish Dew, and my gums do not react.
Does anybody have an explanation for this? Did this happen to anyone before?
It's really a Bee-atch, because, I really like this tobacco...
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Gums Irritated When Smoking Mac Baren's ODF   Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:50 pm

There are some blend/mixtures which WILL NOT agree with ones mouth chemistry and WILL cause a reaction. As much as you like it this may be one of those that you CANNOT smoke. Most Burley blends/mixtures effect me to the extent that I will NOT smoke Burley based blend/mixtures at all !! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Gums Irritated When Smoking Mac Baren's ODF   Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:58 pm

Never had this problem, but I agree with monbla.

Perhaps you could cut the ODF with something that doesn't affect you, like a straight burley or 'ginny and see if that helps.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Gums Irritated When Smoking Mac Baren's ODF   Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:05 am

Bummer on the ODF, that's one I really like.

I have only had a bad reaction to a couple tobacco's in my travels. Thankfully they were ones I didn't care for.

A few years ago Latakia was making me wheeze. Turns out I had some kind of virus and smoking English blends was exacerbating my symptoms. Needless to say, I got a lot more mileage out of the Virginia's in my stash and also made friends with some tasty burleys too. Put the ODF away for a while and come back to it at a later time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Gums Irritated When Smoking Mac Baren's ODF   Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:10 am

Man, that's like having an addiction to food. Somethinng you can't live without, but causes you harm.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Gums Irritated When Smoking Mac Baren's ODF   Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:53 pm

@Monbla: I hope it's not that. About a good third of my cellar is Burley dominant blends and I just love the stuff. affraid

I set the tobacco aside in a Mason jar and will revisit in a week or so. If I still react the same, what can I say but there could be 5 aged 100g tins of ODF going up for sale on the forums. clown
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Gums Irritated When Smoking Mac Baren's ODF   Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:20 pm

How about other Mac Baren blends? Do you get a similar response? I like Mac Baren tobacco, but it always seemed "funny" to me, with respect to flavorings and additives. Perhaps it's something unique to the brand? Just guessing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Gums Irritated When Smoking Mac Baren's ODF   Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:42 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
How about other Mac Baren blends? Do you get a similar response? I like Mac Baren tobacco, but it always seemed "funny" to me, with respect to flavorings and additives. Perhaps it's something unique to the brand? Just guessing.

I know MacBaren uses a delicate maple sugar casing on their offerings. Even the HH line has it, as all tobacco is cased to a certain degree with something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Gums Irritated When Smoking Mac Baren's ODF   Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:16 am

I had a try at a pipeful, last night. Thank God all is well, now. I don't know what happened, but so far, it's all good. So I'm smoking another bowl right now to all my Bros' good health. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Gums Irritated When Smoking Mac Baren's ODF   Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:47 pm

A happy ending LG.

The human body is a complex bit of kit, perhaps yours was just having a down day?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Gums Irritated When Smoking Mac Baren's ODF   Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:14 pm

I definitely have those types of days. We've hit a warm spell here weather wise, and spring it seems has sprung early. I am a walking sinus headache at the moment and everything is tasting a bit flat. So yes, a lot of the time it's not the tobacco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Gums Irritated When Smoking Mac Baren's ODF
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1