HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Lakeland Dark

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Lakeland Dark   Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:42 am

by Samuel Gawith. No "old ladies undies" in this blend. This smells of rope. Gawith ropes. But it is a broken flake, maybe mixed with a ribbon cut. No evidence of ever having been a rope. I rub it out a bit more to get the chunks of flake broken up. Room note is not far from Mexican Horseshit Cigarettes. People will cringe when you walk by them until you air out good. The initial light gives a blast of nicotine slapping your tongue around. Flavor is full, but a little one dimensional. But that is perfect for this blend.

When you think about comparing this blend and it's Kentucky leaf, with other known blends of strength with Kentucky or dark fired Kentucky, you soon find that this one is the tall dog in short grass. I just love that almost dank musty sort of smell I associate with ropes. A little moist which did not impede my ability to smoke it to the bottom of the bowl. It was so good I smoked a second bowl immediately. I have since been alternating with similar blends to compare them.

If you are full bodied. Then you may enjoy this blend.

sunny

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:48 pm

I was just coming to post on this blend.  It is advertised as being basically 1792 without the Tonquin, but I have admit I don't remember 1792 having anything like this much Kentucky; it tastes (to me) of stoved VA & Kentucky only.  While I generally prefer flakes to anything rubbed out, at least this means the stuff with light (unlike my experience with 1792 flake).  However, I wouldn't call this cut shag (most Germain blends are closer to shag than this).  In any event, it's different than I expected, but at only one bowl tried, I haven't decided how much I like it.  It's strong in both N and flavor, so I'll probably end up at least somewhat liking it.

Last edited by DrT999 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:54 pm

I saw! Man, I am tempted by that one. I find SG flakes a pain in the butt to manage; but, boy, am I ever tempted by that one. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:29 pm

Sounds awfully robust - which is, to say, delicious.

I like to think that I have a fairly reasonable tolerance to nicotine, but if I go back-to-back large bowls of something like Haddo's or Peterson Irish Flake I start to feel it more than I'd like. How's this compare?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:10 pm

idbowman wrote:

I like to think that I have a fairly reasonable tolerance to nicotine, but if I go back-to-back large bowls of something like Haddo's or Peterson Irish Flake I start to feel it more than I'd like.  How's this compare?

For me, this is a step stronger in terms of N and two steps up in terms of the "Kentucky" flavor
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:43 pm

Good to hear that despite the name, the blend doesn't have the expected scenting. I've had 1792 in the past, and remember it having a funky flavor that wasn't unappealing.

If this is the leaf without Tonquin I just might be tempted to check it out, being mindful of the issue that high-nic blends can kick my lil' azz!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:51 pm

Can't believe I've never tried this. Another one for the "to buy" list. What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:54 pm

fsu92john wrote:
Can't believe I've never tried this. Another one for the "to buy" list. What a Face

Well, it was just released John. So all of us are newbies at this point.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:20 pm

It's funny that this blend is called Lakeland Dark and yet it lacks the what the word lakeland is most frequently used to describe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:50 am

Bugsahearn wrote:
It's funny that this blend is called Lakeland Dark and yet it lacks the what the word lakeland is most frequently used to describe.

Yes, I think they should have named it "No Lakeland Dark" but I don't think they understand how many smokers cringe at the thought of smoking their famous Lakeland perfume.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:03 am

mark wrote:
Bugsahearn wrote:

Yes, I think they should have named it "No Lakeland Dark" but I don't think they understand how many smokers cringe at the thought of smoking their famous Lakeland perfume.

That's precisely why I didn't order any. Now I find out...bummer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:01 pm

I'm the opposite, I'd love a new super lakeland blend. I guess Sam Gawith thinks of the term Lakeland more in relation to the tobacco used and the processing rather than the flavoring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:28 pm

Brewdude wrote:
fsu92john wrote:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude,

That's what I assumed when I saw this thread, but then I did some Googling and found people discussing it on another forum as far back as 2013. Color me confused  scratch , as I follow the Lake District products pretty avidly. Perhaps it's new to the US?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:53 pm

DrT999 wrote:
idbowman wrote:

I like to think that I have a fairly reasonable tolerance to nicotine, but if I go back-to-back large bowls of something like Haddo's or Peterson Irish Flake I start to feel it more than I'd like.  How's this compare?

For me, this is a step stronger in terms of N and two steps up in terms of the "Kentucky" flavor

Then, it's clear that Lakeland Dark is quite the beast! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:58 pm

Lord Guyrox wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
idbowman wrote:

As I was not clear, I meant in comparison to Irish Flake
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:28 pm

DrT999 wrote:
Lord Guyrox wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
idbowman wrote:

As I was not clear, I meant in comparison to Irish Flake

So, probably somewhere in between Old-Dark Fired and Kentucky Bold, I suppose?
Back to top Go down
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:40 pm

fsu92john wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
fsu92john wrote:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude,

That's what I assumed when I saw this thread, but then I did some Googling and found people discussing it on another forum as far back as 2013. Color me confused  scratch , as I follow the Lake District products pretty avidly. Perhaps it's new to the US?

think it's been around for a while just new to the us
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:28 pm

I'm intrigued by it. I'll probably pick up a tin sometime when I see one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:32 pm

I bought a tin of this and cabbies mixture when they came out. I read some reviews on tobaccoreviews and some of the guys were saying it was scented, and some were saying it was not (the ever trustworthy DrT included).

I hadn't opened it yet, and was waiting to ask around here if it was safe to smoke lol. So, just to be clear before I crack this tin, is this perfumed?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:49 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
I bought a tin of this and cabbies mixture when they came out. I read some reviews on tobaccoreviews and some of the guys were saying it was scented, and some were saying it was not (the ever trustworthy DrT included).

I hadn't opened it yet, and was waiting to ask around here if it was safe to smoke lol. So, just to be clear before I crack this tin, is this perfumed?

Reading those reviews made me think there were 3 different versions being talked about. And I do smoke a lot of medium-scented Lakelands, so a whiff might escape my notice, but I honestly didn't think it was. Of course, there are those who would swear a blend is heavily scented if it passed by some mildly scented Lakelands at twenty feet for a second. My suggestion would be if there is someone who reacts to 'unscented' SG blends the same as you who reviewed it, go with what they say, or just take chance.
Back to top Go down
fsu92john

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:52 pm

I don't get any scent at all from Lakeland Dark.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:47 pm

I thought it smelled like chewing tobacco, no flowers here! The good doctor/professor was kind enough to sample me some. I think it is pretty stout stuff, but I'm a wuss......

It's definitely not as strong as the hallucinogenic rope he also sent!

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:50 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
I thought it smelled like chewing tobacco, no flowers here! The good doctor/professor was kind enough to sample me some. I think it is pretty stout stuff, but I'm a wuss......

lol!

Very Happy You're lucky I didn't have some of the really strong brown rope open as well -- that stuff makes me dizzy!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:01 pm

DrT999 wrote:
Ozark Wizard wrote:

lol!

Very Happy You're lucky I didn't have some of the really strong brown rope open as well --  that stuff makes me dizzy!! Shocked

All I'll say is if I started smoking more of stuff like that I'll be shaving my palms!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Lakeland Dark   Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:48 pm

That brown Irish rope is some good stuff. Haven't tried the black, as I understand it is mostly the same thing on a slightly weaker level and a smoother flavor.

I kind of wish they made a ready rubbed form of it, would be nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Lakeland Dark
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next