HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

In Memory of Truck Drivers in the day

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: In Memory of Truck Drivers in the day   Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:32 am

And speaking of trucking, there's a reality show on Netflix that actually IS real. No bullshit scripted drama or other nonsense. Made in Canada. It's just the day-to-day activity of a heavy rescue company that operates in the Canadian Rockies of BC. "Just" being funny in this case, because a normal day in winter (which runs from late July to early July in that part of the world Laughing ) is nuts.

I can't drive anymore, but watching this sort of real-deal account---essentially a documentary---is the next best thing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2390276/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: In Memory of Truck Drivers in the day   Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:47 pm

I spent the first few years of my life in an 18 wheeler. Nothin' like the rattle of a diesel and the smell of diesel smoke on a cold, crisp morning to wake a body up. I also remember the 8 track player in the cab over Kenworth my parents drove, and playing with the keys while running down the road.

I guess that is the main reason I drive a diesel today. Brings back fond memories.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: In Memory of Truck Drivers in the day   Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:58 pm

My current daily truck during some wintertime fun a few weeks back. What's not clearly visible in the pic is the stabilizer arm under the recycling tubs that got hung up on a boulder. Kept me from rolling it into the ditch lol.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: In Memory of Truck Drivers in the day   Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:03 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
My current daily truck during some wintertime fun a few weeks back. What's not clearly visible in the pic is the stabilizer arm under the recycling tubs that got hung up on a boulder. Kept me from rolling it into the ditch lol.

Christopher Cross, that's a very precarious situation you got yourself into Jev. Very glad you seem to have come out of it on top!

Shocked

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: In Memory of Truck Drivers in the day   Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:17 pm

Saved the lunch box, the rest can be written off..
Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: In Memory of Truck Drivers in the day   Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:11 pm

That pic cracks me up, reminds of the times ( bout once a week) when customer says "You can make it, garbage truck came through here just the other day" .

Me: Think that garbage truck weighed 68,000 pounds? Want to sign the delivery ticket first taking financial responsibility for the truck?

Customer: Shocked No

puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: In Memory of Truck Drivers in the day   Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:21 am

They do it with the big trucks as well PDiddy..  I learned the very hard way twice...I'm a slow learner.

My first driving job was with Ryder Logistics on the Dollar General account out of Scottsville,Ky. I was in somewhereville, Ky.  I rolled up to the store, examined the situation,and determined that we would offload from the front door for safety reasons. We had that option but the managers absolutely detested it.   Anyway, the assistant manager called the manager. The manager came down and convinced me to go around back to unload, "All the drivers do"... 10 minutes later I'm back there with fuel pouring out of the hole in the bottom of the tank.  The guy that lives next to the store put these huge rocks along the end of his grass line because he didn't want trucks rutting his lawn. I still ain't mad at him, I don't blame him a bit.  My right steer dropped off the pavement, my fuel tank that had previously had clearance dropped onto his rock..and he had fuel in his yard instead of ruts... Win-win.  The store owner refused to unload until I was closer to the door and capable of getting the boxes to the bumper per contract requirements. He paid about 6-8 people 3-4 hours of wage to watch the fire department, police department, the local news, the DOT, the water company, and the Fish & Game official sort out just how bad I had destroyed their town.

The next was less exciting.. Unloading engine component in Indiana and the guy said " all the drivers turn around over there"  I went, rutted the hell out of the field, just as I was about out of it the trailer slid and broke the top of his welded together fence post.  Guy literally came out screaming with a gun. He finally went back in, right before the police were on scene.. They didn't want to hear about him threatening to kill me they were just concerned I would 'flee the state'.. Wtf? I'm a truck driver, of course I'm going to 'flee the state'.   Thought I was going to Ryker Island or some shit but the company finally got everyone chilled out.  Those ruts and that welded together fence post probably cost $50,000-75,000 back in the early 90's.  Lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

PostSubject: Re: In Memory of Truck Drivers in the day   Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:57 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Laughing

I had a mason jar full of Arcadia in there haha.

Had to climb out the passenger door with the truck swaying on the edge of the driveway. Felt like something out looney toons. I called for a wrecker, and sat down on my lunch box and smoked my pipe.

An hour and a half later the homeowner came out of the house to ask when I thought I was leaving, and if I was going to still take the trash. She had been watching me out the window all that time. By the way, it was a pleasant 24F in the sun that day. I love rich people, so much concern for the servile folk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: In Memory of Truck Drivers in the day   Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:05 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
Laughing

I had a mason jar full of Arcadia in there haha.

Had to climb out the passenger door with the truck swaying on the edge of the driveway. Felt like something out looney toons. I called for a wrecker, and sat down on my lunch box and smoked my pipe.

An hour and a half later the homeowner came out of the house to ask when I thought I was leaving, and if I was going to still take the trash. She had been watching me out the window all that time. By the way, it was a pleasant 24F in the sun that day. I love rich people, so much concern for the servile folk.

My first reaction to this would be to tell her to stick the trash up her azz. But there again you have to be sympathetic to the customers and probably answered her in a more pc way. I get how it is these days.

Cheers?

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Jevverrett

PostSubject: Re: In Memory of Truck Drivers in the day   Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:22 pm

A few days after this happened, she called the office to try and get them to credit her account because her son missed a day of work. To her moral credit, she informed them she gave me a cup of coffee. (in the garage)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

In Memory of Truck Drivers in the day
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2