HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Yet Another Pet Peeve

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Puffer Mark

Registration date : 2014-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Pet Peeve   Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:47 am

Black or brindle for me, thangouverymuch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Pet Peeve   Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:55 am

Gents,

On no account purchase the spotted pipe. Thought to be eradicated in the 1930s, Briarpox is highly contagious and will spread through the rest of your rack at an alarming rate. Sadly the only known cure was incineration of the afflicted. Many a piper had the black cross of the pox daubed on their door. Don't let this woeful disease come to your porch.

Yours,

Dr Stick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Pet Peeve   Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:58 am

Stick wrote:
Gents,

On no account purchase the spotted pipe. Thought to be eradicated in the 1930s, Briarpox is highly contagious and will spread through the rest of your rack at an alarming rate. Sadly the only known cure was incineration of the afflicted. Many a piper had the black cross of the pox daubed on their door. Don't let this woeful disease come to your porch.

Yours,

Dr Stick.

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Pet Peeve   Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:34 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Pet Peeve   Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:46 pm

eklektos44 wrote:
Ok, to me this white stem just doesn't work..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luigi-Viprati-1-Clover-handmade-Briar-Pipe-of-Italy-Unsmoked-/252283554901?hash=item3abd458c55:g:vB4AAOSw~gRVnQgZ

I have to agree, it doesn't do it for me either. Something else to remember is that I think a lot of these white stems are made from delrin. And if I'm correct it will give you the feel of ebonite but not the oxidation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Pet Peeve   Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:58 pm

The stems looks wrong to me, not the color really but, were the stem is bent. I would like to see it bent closer to the button, I think that would work better. Wink

I've never heard of anyone using Delrin for stems, just tenons, it won't hold a bend and is a bit too soft I believe.. I have used Acrylic Ivory and there's a Poly and a plastic material called Juma that is also used but, not Delrin to my knowledge.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Pet Peeve   Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:38 pm

That goes more to what I was getting at. It just breaks up the pipe into two separate parts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Pet Peeve   Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:55 pm

smoker13 wrote:
That goes more to what I was getting at.  It just breaks up the pipe into two separate parts.

Sounds like it's the abrupt and distracting contrast that doesn't work for you. Less contrast can give the two pieces of the pipe some flow. To some extent I'd say the same about conspicuous silver bands that mark the demarcation twixt stummel and stem on some pipes. To me, the Petersons (to take just one examp) w/out the silver band have more appeal than their expensive models with it. For me, if the stem isn't black it needs to complement the coloring of the bowl. A white stem might look okay on a very light bowl, maybe on a lady's pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

Yet Another Pet Peeve
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: