HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Thank You, Brothers, For Red & Black

Go down 
AuthorMessage
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Thank You, Brothers, For Red & Black   Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:57 pm

Some nights ago I was doing some late night reading here and I stumbled on what turned out to be a 5 page testimony to the glories of the (then new) McClelland Red & Black Flake. I am first and foremost a lover of all things Virginia, and that goes double if they're in Flake form, and if they come from the Holy Sheds of the House of McClelland then I am already on bended knee. (The only way you can get me down on both knees in supplicant reverence is with the right amount of Perique added, but that's another story for another time.)

By the time I'd read all 5 pages I was floating with surprise and anticipation - because I had NEVER even heard of this blend! Even though I was the only one in the room I was flushed with embarrassment! Well, I did the only thing I could do; put my full trust in the words of the Brotherhood and immediately order 2 tins, which came in the mail yesterday.

I promise I won't duplicate the words of praise written by so many, all well justified. My only addition to this conversation is a question. How do they do it? How can McClelland grow/age/blend/press so many Virginia tobaccos into so many variations and get them all to be so DELICIOUS and yet so DIFFERENT from one another? Truly a mystery, one I will savor for a very long time............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Thank You, Brothers, For Red & Black   Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:10 am

smoker13 wrote:
Some nights ago I was doing some late night reading here and I stumbled on what turned out to be a 5 page testimony to the glories of the (then new) McClelland Red & Black Flake.  I am first and foremost a lover of all things Virginia, and that goes double if they're in Flake form, and if they come from the Holy Sheds of the House of McClelland then I am already on bended knee. (The only way you can get me down on both knees in supplicant reverence is with the right amount of Perique added, but that's another story for another time.)

By the time I'd read all 5 pages I was floating with surprise and anticipation - because I had NEVER even heard of this blend! Even though I was the only one in the room I was flushed with embarrassment! Well, I did the only thing I could do; put my full trust in the words of the Brotherhood and immediately order 2 tins, which came in the mail yesterday.

I promise I won't duplicate the words of praise written by so many, all well justified.  My only addition to this conversation is a question.  How do they do it?  How can McClelland grow/age/blend/press so many Virginia tobaccos into so many variations and get them all to be so DELICIOUS and yet so DIFFERENT from one another?  Truly a mystery, one I will savor  for a very long time............

How do they do it you ask? Because THEY are the MASTERS of Va's !! ALL others need to take lessons from the boys in KC!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Thank You, Brothers, For Red & Black   Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:17 am

smoker13 wrote:
 How do they do it?  

Ketchup. Shhh, it's a secret Monblah shared with us, so don't tell anyone.

Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Thank You, Brothers, For Red & Black   Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:02 am

monbla256 wrote:
How do they do it you ask? Because THEY are the MASTERS of Va's !! ALL others need to take lessons from the boys in KC!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I like to think it's the lady's touch, Mary McNeil.

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Thank You, Brothers, For Red & Black   Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:15 am

Huh! Thank you for the education. Could you please indulge me and identify the others in the photo and their possible connection to McClelland? Where does the trade name "McClelland" come from?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Thank You, Brothers, For Red & Black   Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:30 am

Oh great, another tobacco for the list. Gee, thanks! geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Thank You, Brothers, For Red & Black   Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:35 am

smoker13 wrote:
Huh! Thank you for the education.  Could you please indulge me and identify the others in the photo and their possible connection to McClelland?  Where does the trade name "McClelland" come from?

Greg Pease, Mike McNeil, Mary, and a surly drifter. The McClelland name origin I don't know--you could call Mary and ax her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Thank You, Brothers, For Red & Black   Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:02 pm

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. BH was kind enough to send me a couple of tins over the holidays. I'm not really a McClelland fanboy, but this blend is exceptional. Actually, can you really call it a blend? I mean, it's two different flakes dropped in a tin together. What's that, then? Tossed Virginia Flakes? Well, whatever you call it, it's one of McC's better offerings.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Thank You, Brothers, For Red & Black   Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:31 pm

Ya, R&B is good. Not my holy grail, but no slouch either.

I like red 'ginnys pretty much, and 5100 is one of my go-to's. Tempering it with a little dark fired gives it a different dimension. Mixed 50/50 as I do it's a nice bowl.

Dunno if it'll be a regular at chez Brewdude, but enjoyed the one tin I smoked. Age may increase the complexity. Which is what I'm hoping.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com

Thank You, Brothers, For Red & Black
Page 1 of 1