HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Jim's Peterson University Flake Review.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Jim's Peterson University Flake Review.   Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:28 pm

The Virginias are earthy with a very light grassiness, mild citrus and stewed fruit, and an ever present hint of spice. The burleys are earthy, nutty, with a little molasses. It also has a slight toasty, woody quality. You can taste both varietals in nearly every puff, with the burleys occasionally being a little more prominent at times, especially in the last third of the bowl. The toppings have a light plum, but I notice the taste of fruity berries more often. After the half way point, it does diminish to some extent, but you'll taste it all the way through. The nic-hit is closer to medium than it is to mild, and seems to gain a little strength as you smoke away. The flakes are easy to manipulate as you please. Burns a little slow, and requires some relights, but not as many as you might expect. Won't bite even if you're a fast puffer, but I recommend a sipping pace to enhance the enjoyment the well balanced flavors. Leaves just a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. Has a very pleasant after taste with a nice room note. An all day smoke that doesn't wear out its welcome during the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Peterson University Flake Review.   Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Thanks for the review Jim. I assume it's recent production.

I first tried this about 10+ yrs ago and found the fruity toppings to be OTT to me and off-putting. Really put me off to this blend. Don't know if I even finished the tin.

Peterson blends have been pretty much hit or miss with me, mostly miss. Perhaps it's time to revisit.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Peterson University Flake Review.   Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:37 am

Brewdude wrote:
Thanks for the review Jim. I assume it's recent production.

I first tried this about 10+ yrs ago and found the fruity toppings to be OTT to me and off-putting. Really put me off to this blend. Don't know if I even finished the tin.

Peterson blends have been pretty much hit or miss with me, mostly miss. Perhaps it's time to revisit.

Cheers,

RR

What I am smoking is a little over a year old. I like it, but I don't love it. As the topping isn't over the top (to me, anyway), I enjoy it. Btw, if you haven't tried Rotary Navy Flake, I greatly suggest trying that one. A very nice rum topping - not too strong, a little closer to medium than it is to mild - but the earthy, stewed dark fruit flavor of the dark Va. melds well with the rum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Jim's Peterson University Flake Review.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1