HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

All Day Smoke?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dix Creek

Registration date : 2013-03-28

PostSubject: All Day Smoke?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:21 am

Just wondering about this phrase. You see many descriptions of pipe tobacco include this phrase in one form or another. You also read many reviews the state this as well. Some tobaccos are to be smoked in the morning, some right before a meal, some after a meal, and some right before bed. Now I may be trying to pick the fly shit out of the pepper, but I am confused. What if I start the day out smoking Old Joe Krantz or Ten Russians or God forbid, The Aperitif. I generally pick out a smoke to start the day with and hang with it all day. 10 to 12 bowls of the same blend using 2 different pipes. Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this subject for me. Am I being uncivilized in my practice, breaking some rule of pipe etiquette or am I really just one of many of you who do the same thing. Your thoughts please.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DGErwin11

Registration date : 2012-05-20

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:49 am

Some of us take it a step farther by smoking the same blend all day, every day. Screw the "rules".
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://DGEHandmadePipes.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:16 am

Smoking a pipe orally is the only "rule" I adhere to. Smokers who do otherwise are few and far between, in my experience, and look ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:56 am

Smoke what you like, when you like, and don't give a rat's behind what anyone else thinks. That's the rule. It also applies to eating, drinking, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:07 am

To my mind, when someone says "All day smoke" I think of a blend that isn't crazy strong in nicotine and is easy to keep lit. I guess I say this because if I was smoking 10-12 bowls a day, it would have to be something I could smoke while performing other activities. In the case of reviewers I also think they're saying "I like this so much, I'd smoke it all day"

Having said that, the main point is, smoke what you want, when you want.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leacha

Registration date : 2014-01-08

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:01 pm

Smoke what you like when you like. I used to do the same as your talking about. One blend all day or even a number of days or till I finished a tin. That was when I was smoking 4 or more bowls a day. Now I only have time for one, two if I'm lucky, so smoking one blend is no problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiram-2011

Registration date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:26 pm

No rule other then smoke what you like and enjoy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:29 pm

swhipple wrote:
To my mind, when someone says "All day smoke" I think of a blend that isn't crazy strong in nicotine and is easy to keep lit. I guess I say this because if I was smoking 10-12 bowls a day, it would have to be something I could smoke while performing other activities. In the case of reviewers I also think they're saying "I like this so much, I'd smoke it all day"

Having said that, the main point is, smoke what you want, when you want.
Yah. I think it applies to tobacco that isn't "too much" of anything and can be enjoyed over some lengthy stretch of time. It doesn't mean that there's an "ought to" involved. My chief examp of an "all day" smoke would be EMP, no matter the name. The "codger blends" would also fit in the category, I'd say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:01 pm

An "All day smoke" is purely subjective. I enjoy an occasional bowl of Dark Flake Scented and Brown Bogie. If I smoked either of those more than once a day I would end up in bed for a long nap. Others have the constitution for continually smoking blends like these. I don't, so if I were to pick a blend to smoke several bowls a day of it would be something that doesn't wear my tongue out or overload my system with nicotine. Squadron Leader works nicely for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:32 pm

The "rules" are: you have to ping-pong btwn 5/6 blend.mixtures a day, 10/12 a week an ONLY smoke them in $500.00 ARTISON pipes llt with your Old Boy purified gas lighter !! YEP ! That's the Rules ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  This one blend/mixture in 1/2 pipes a day, all day is for old codgers that are not true afficionado/connessuers of pipe smoking !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil You need to get with the "program" guy  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:02 pm

These guys nailed it. The "all day smoke" is just the one you would want to smoke all day. On the other hand, I think I see a niche market for some specific "time of day" tobacco's. How about a "waiting at the tire shop" smoke? Or a tree stand blend with extra deer tongue? An aromatic bathroom smoke would be nice. Maybe a "cruising the autobahn in my Aston Martin" smoke. Or,more realistically, a "huddled on the back porch in a driving sleet" smoke.
If anyone can disprove the myth of certain blends for specific times of day, it's Iron Tongue JimInks. That guy has no pattern, never sleeps, and never stops smoking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:16 am

George Kaplan wrote:
These guys nailed it. The "all day smoke" is just the one you would want to smoke all day. On the other hand, I think I see a niche market for some specific "time of day" tobacco's. How about a "waiting at the tire shop" smoke? Or a tree stand blend with extra deer tongue? An aromatic bathroom smoke would be nice. Maybe a "cruising the autobahn in my Aston Martin" smoke. Or,more realistically, a "huddled on the back porch in a driving sleet" smoke.
If anyone can disprove the myth of certain blends for specific times of day, it's Iron Tongue JimInks. That guy has no pattern, never sleeps, and never stops smoking.

Rolling Eyes
I don't care who you are, that's funny there.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puffer Mark

Registration date : 2014-07-14

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:53 am

monbla256 wrote:
The "rules" are: you have to ping-pong btwn 5/6 blend.mixtures a day, 10/12 a week an ONLY smoke them in $500.00 ARTISON pipes llt with your Old Boy purified gas lighter !! YEP ! That's the Rules ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  This one blend/mixture in 1/2 pipes a day, all day is for old codgers that are not true afficionado/connessuers of pipe smoking !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil You need to get with the "program" guy  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

It's just this kind of easy come, easy go, laid back, lackadaisical approach that will bring this forum into disrepute amongst serious pipe smokers. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gonzo

Registration date : 2015-03-18

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:37 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
"huddled on the back porch in a driving sleet" smoke. .
Laughing
Laughing

I would buy this....should be dry enough to stay lit all the way through so I can keep both hands in my pockets and not be fumbling for a light every now and then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.etsy.com/shop/GonzoArtCollective?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:37 pm

I doubt the tobacco knows what time of day it is? Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:11 pm

I'm not so sure about that, Stick. My Nightcap's been tasting a bit off ever since we entered daylight saving time on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:37 pm

My late Pap smoked nothing other than Uhle's 255. Morning, noon, and night. Guess I figure he considered this an all day blend.

But then again he was a one brand man in beer and many other things.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:13 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
I'm not so sure about that, Stick. My Nightcap's been tasting a bit off ever since we entered daylight saving time on Sunday.

lol!

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:05 am

fsu92john wrote:
Smoke what you like, when you like, and don't give a rat's behind what anyone else thinks. That's the rule. It also applies to eating, drinking, etc.

Damn straight! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:54 pm

ROFLMAO!!! lol! lol! You tell em brother! Amen and pass the unobtainium
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: All Day Smoke?   Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:47 pm

I was always under the impression all day meant a tobacco you could smoke all day without it interrupting your goings on. Morning smokes were something simple and lighter that didn't give you too much grief while you got the coffee going. And evening/ lounging kind of smokes were heavier, stronger and wouldn't be an issue if you needed to sit down for a bit while smoking. Of course what's in what category is up to you.

I smoke mostly (my) medium strength ribbon cuts all day including the morning. Mostly because I drive trucks for a living and need to pay more attention to the road than my pipe. In the evening/ weekend it's more of the flakes, cakes, ropes and head spinning kind of stuff. These are times I can devote more attention to the smoke itself as opposed to just feeding a habit.

One of the mechanics in the yard where I work smokes cigars. Not pretty ones either, muniemakers. They are a ct cigar, not sure how widely available they are. Anyway, he told me he smokes good cigars at home when he's not all covered in grease and such. Same idea, I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

All Day Smoke?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1