HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Who is your favorite maker or brand?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:38 pm

Who is your favorite maker or brand? For me it is hard. I love Chris Askwith pipes yet I love my Ferndowns made by Les Leslie Wood. I have more Ferndowns and many more planned. I love the history and tradition of Ferndowns yet I love the new approach and style of Askwith. Beck if I had a whole lot more money I would have more Ferndowns, Askwith, and Ashton pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:16 pm

I might say Dunhill, if I had a favorite--but only because they do the classic billiard shape so well, and the Shell straight billiard is pretty much my favorite pipe of all time. In terms of pleasure given, I would say Missouri Meerschaum. But I don't really have a favorite maker or brand, and I judge pipes individually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:27 pm

Guess I'd have to say that the Charatans made in the early '70s would be my favorite, especially the Special models as this is the "brand" of pipe I have the most of in my "collection"! Next would be Savinelli Punto Oros followed by the pre '80s BBB and Edwards, Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:59 pm

Savinelli and Mastro de Paja, based on how much more often I smoke those pipes than the others on the rack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:22 am

Growley pipes are my favorite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dkj42

Registration date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:51 am

My favorite pipe is almost always the one I just lit. cyclops
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:42 am

I can no more answer this question than the one about "what is your favorite tobacco!!" Just can't do it!! Evil or Very Mad cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:36 pm

Tinsky. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:44 pm

I only own a few 'artisan' pipes. To say I prefer one over the other would be to discredit a highly respected pipesmith. Nope. Can't do it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Stick wrote:
I only own a few 'artisan' pipes.  To say I prefer one over the other would be to discredit a highly respected pipesmith.  Nope.  Can't do it!

I don't think it would be a discredit to like one over the other. They could all be just as skilled but you might be drawn to one over another. In my case I see amazing quality and artistry from many makers such as the Ivarsson family, but their pipes don't speak to me as much as the British carvers. That in no way discredits the Ivarsson pipes. It just comes down to what speaks to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:45 pm

Don't have a favorite as such. Too many great craftsmen/women/brands to name names.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:14 am

Regardless of how many "artisan" pipes I own, Teipen still remains my favorite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:16 am

Bulldogs😊 It would be hard for me to say who / what my favorite maker / carver is, but I do like very much the Bulldog style. The classic version is a marvel with most of the briar in exactly the right spot. The many variations are always interesting and have an effect on how / what the smoker enjoys his smoke. To me, the neat thing about a Bulldog is that variations are fresh but are not just decorative or whimsical. There are Virginia Bulldogs and English Bulldogs . . . Etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:47 am

Brian Bowers in his classic song "Berkley Woman"...

"I'd no more love just one kind of woman than I'd drink only one kind of wine."

Same goes for pipes I reckon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:00 pm

Brand? Peterson. I have several in different shapes and finishes.

Maker? Tinsky. I only have one of his, but it's my favorite of my handmades.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:27 am

Factory pipes......nothing to beat a Savinelli

Hand crafted pipes.......Goussard
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:41 am

Well here are all my Ferndowns I have currently.

Here is what's on the bench now

And here are all my pipes I have
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:30 am

Mine!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:00 am

I have about 20 vintage Brigham pipes in the rack(s). There is a consistency of build quality through the product lines - my 1-Dots smoke just as well as my 5-Dots - though a few out of the bunch seem to "fit" better for me in use, so these are the ones I reach for most often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Jevverrett

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:11 pm

Tar Heel-

Forgive my ignorance, but the pipes on the bench appear to be full bent stummels with straight stems. Is this a design of pipe I am unfamiliar with, or are these stems you are working on?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:08 pm

They are pipes Les Wood is working on for me. They still need silver and bending the stems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:15 pm

Very impressive 'heel!

I love you

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Jevverrett

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:56 pm

tarheel7734 wrote:
They are pipes Les Wood is working on for me. They still need silver and bending the stems.

Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:23 pm

My wife just bought me my first Winslow for V-day.  I have to say I'm really loving it.  It's definitely my favorite pipe.  The shape is a bent brandy but it's got a nice fat bottom so it's closer to what most makers would call a "ball" or "apple" probably but the stem isn't cut as sharply as others, it has a really nice flow and excellent hand feel.  I think I'm definitely going to get more and in this shape.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite maker or brand?   Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:39 pm

Good stuff Eric!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down

Who is your favorite maker or brand?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1