After the past few months, it has come to the attention of the co-commanders of the BoB Bombers that the populace has requested an explanation of terms, and some general guidelines that we follow as Bombers.
We have decided that these would best be answered by making a post here, with a list of everything we've been asked about, and everything we can think of.
This document is an evolving document, so changes could be made at any time!
Please check in with this often, especially if you have any general questions.
As always, for any clarification or specific questions, please feel free to contact Blackhorse or Ozark Wizard. First thing's first, here's our qualifications to being a BoB Bomber -
1. We generally require that you are a member of the forum for at least 30 days, and have posted at least 30 times. We call this the 30/30 rule.
2. We absolutely require that you are a member in good standing. This should go without saying, and pretty much everyone I've ever met on here has been wonderful to chat with, but this is the internet; you have to be very clear and concise with expectations.
3. If you are seeking admission to the Bombers, please send Blackhorse or Ozark Wizard a PM explaining WHY you'd like to be a member; if we feel your reasoning is sound, and you meet the criteria listed above, congratulations!
4. Once you have been admitted to the Bombers, we ask that you participate in all of the bombings you can. We do understand that life happens, and budgets can change in the blink of an eye, but the Bombers can't fly if we have a squadron of 40 and only 5 participating members. If you do have something come up that is unavoidable, just list in the month's bombing thread that you can't participate, or if you'd like to be more private feel free to PM the co-commanders. If you do choose to participate in the bombing run, but have to pull out due to unforeseen circumstances, please PM one of them and let them know. Mainly, the take-away point is that communication and participation are VITAL to keeping the Bombers flying.
5. In regards to bombs, we ask that you do not over-extend yourself. Generally speaking, we like to say there are no dollar guidelines. We just don't want anyone to burn themselves out on $250 bombs every month, or create the idea that it's a competition. I can assure you, there is no competition between bombs; the important thing is the message and the act, not the bomb itself. We also like homemade gifts (that are appropriate) and seasonal/holiday-themed gifts!! Items that are specific to your locale are cool...as are things like bottles sauces, condiments, etc.
6. To extend the points in number 5, we ask that bombs stay anonymous. Now, since the USPS is pretty strict about things, it is perfectly fine to put your name and return address on the box or package, but we don't want any members to feel inadequate compared to others, if they're not able to afford as much as some folks. The bombs aren't about the monetary value of the items! If you've sent a custom gift that's absolutely identifiable, then I understand, but please try to limit identification. The basic idea is that no one needs to know who gave what.
7. Unless there is an overwhelming reason not to, pilots are to use the USPS for shipping and to send their packages via Priority Mail. This is for ease of tracking by the Management.
In summary, we just ask that you're an active member of the forum, with your heart in the right place. It's not real hard, and we value participation. Part 2: Explanation of terms and signature badges
I've been asked personally more than once, and I know I've seen on various threads a few times questions regarding our terminology and signature badge explanations. Fear not, here's your spot for that information!
Generally, our terminology is pretty simple - we tend to stick with military terms, mostly involving aviation. To keep it simple, we call our packages 'bombs', and we call each month's shindig a 'bombing run'. That's about it, when it comes to the terminology. We just like to have fun and be silly.
Signature badges - there's a few of them, and they each have some different meanings. I'll list a picture for each below, along with an explanation.
- This is our regular bomb icon. It represents a single successful bombing run.
- This bomb represents 5 total successful bombing runs.
- This bomb represents 10 total successful bombing runs.
- This logo represents 25 total successful bombing runs.
- This logo represents being the direct target of a bombing run.
There are one or two other special bombing-related badges that were earned during special events. If you have any questions about them, feel free to PM Ozark Wizard about them.
You are also more than welcome to use these, so long as you meet the requirements for each badge!
I'm sure some other questions will pop up eventually, but these were the big ones we felt that we needed to touch. As I've stated, feel free to PM us if you have any more questions, or you would like to see a general bit of information added or changed on this post.
-09/06/2016 - Updated to replace Ocelot55 with Ozark Wizard
-06/12/2017 - Updated to replace 'myself' and WarlockBob with kaitlyn3837
-10/29/18 - Updated to replace Kaitlyn3837 with Blackhorse, the Original Commander