HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pear wood vs briar?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Pear wood vs briar?   Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:39 am

Anyone have experience with pear wood pipes? How do they compare to a briar?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Pear wood vs briar?   Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:16 pm

Just my opinion but it's like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Yugo with the Yogo representing the pear wood. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Had one given to me a few years back and I hated it so much I wouldn't even pass it on to someone I didn't like. It imparted a foul taste to the tobacco and went into the trash with no regrets. If you want a pipe made from something other than briar that's cheap go with a MM cob. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Pear wood vs briar?   Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:28 pm

If you mean a tree that bears pears, then sure you can make a pipe with it. It's not as hard as briar, probably closer to apple in Janka rating. I just prune my pear trees, so I haven't had any pieces big enough to make bowls with. I have an apple pipe that during break in gave a hint of tart sweetness to the smoke the first ten or so smokes. I would imagine pear would be similar, but I may be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Pear wood vs briar?   Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:53 pm

I have a Mr. Brog pear wood pipe that smokes very well and is incredibly light for its size (and was dirt cheap). The stem's cheap plastic, but if I ever get around to having a decent one made, I'll smoke it a lot more often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pear wood vs briar?   Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:20 pm

I've had no issues at all with my pear wood. It smokes just fine. It does give a different flavor but is not objectionable in anyway. Sounds like AJ got a bum deal on his though. Oh and I'll second the sentiment on getting a better stem made for it if you get one. It'll make it much more enjoyable.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Pear wood vs briar?   Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:55 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
I've had no issues at all with my pear wood.  It smokes just fine. It does give a different flavor but is not objectionable in anyway. Sounds like AJ got a bum deal on his though. Oh and I'll second the sentiment on getting a better stem made for it if you get one. It'll make it much more enjoyable.

Jim

It's very possible that the one I had may have been a fluke but I won't take any more chances even though many others seem to like them. I guess I may be somewhat of a briar snob. I don't like meers, bog oak, and rarely smoke my cobs. Nothing wrong with the cobs I just prefer a pipe made of briar especially if it was made from briar that was 75 to 100+ years old. There's just something about the old briar that I like. I admit it may all be in my mind but whatever the reason I'm going to stick with pipes made of briar. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pear wood vs briar?   Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:57 pm

AJ, don't feel like you need to offer an explanation or any kind of apology. You like what you like. I would be sceptical too if I'd gotten one that tasted bad. I myself much prefer my briars as well. They just add a certain something that the others just don't have. Some days I'm ok with that and other days I'm much less ok with it.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pear wood vs briar?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1