HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Making pipe stems from rod stock

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Making pipe stems from rod stock   Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:38 pm

....... And a great wailing and gnashing of teeth, cries of frustration, disappointment and discouragement echoing off the mountain tops were heard. Animals peering through the protection of their paddocks, concern on their faces. SWMBO pokes her head out and says it sounds like I'm the father in the movie 'Christmas Story', working on the furnace......

No more attempts with the DeWalt cordless, time to buy a drill press, I guess. I think I cracked a molar............... Wooden stems are way more forgiving...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Making pipe stems from rod stock   Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:50 pm

Hand cut stems have a steep learning curve, especially without a lathe. I can suggest several effective methods with a drill press. That's how I started. A good metal lathe will revolutionize the process, but of course is a serious monetary commitment. Knowing how handy you are though, Ozark, I'd be willing to bet there's almost nothing you couldn't build with a metal lathe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Making pipe stems from rod stock   Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:53 pm

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I've been looking at premade stems on Vermont Freehand's site, and Old Log Cabin's. I ordered more rod stock, but not anything really good, so I can practice(destroy more money. Time is relative.)

Can't complain about getting an education.

Much..............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Making pipe stems from rod stock   Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:36 am

There are two areas where rod stock can be a pain on a drill press. One is turning the tenon, the other is making sure the tenon is perfectly perpendicular to the shank face so no light gap appears when the stem is inserted into the pipe. If it were me, I'd buy some delrin to use as tenon material so you dont have to turn an integral tenon onto the end of the rod. Delrin fits perfectly 99.9% of the time so no need to worry about size. You can get all the appropriately sized bits to drill the derlrin mortise in the rod stock from Steve at Vermont Freehand. Other items that might be handy would be a pen vise or some way to hold the rod material parallel and centered with your drill press spindle. It is imperative that it does not wobble much or you'll get a bad fit.

That said, here is the procedure:

-Using your pen vise, drill a 5/32" hole through a piece of delrin. You can do enough material for several tenons at a time. Just cut it into segments later. Set aside.
-Clamp your rod stock on the drill press table centered and parallel with the spindle. Make sure it won't move much.
-Using a high quality forstner bit slowly face the top of the rod. This should give you a surface perfectly perpendicular with the tenon. High quality bits are a must!
-Drill the mortise for the delrin into the rod stock. 1/4"-3/8" is just fine for depth.
-Use a tapered 5/32" bit to drill the draft hole through the rod stopping approximately 1/2" from the end. Clear chips frequently.
-Without removing the rod, get your piece of delrin for the tenon. Deeply score in a cross-hatched pattern the end that will be epoxied into the rod. I like to use a saw blade.
-Score the inside of the rod mortise the best you can, and then apply epoxy to the end of the tenon and mortise. (don't worry if epoxy gets in the airway)
-The delrin should fit tightly and if you can't seat it fully you can use the press on apply some downward force.
-Clean up all excess squeeze out.
-Once the epoxy has set overnight drill out any epoxy that got into the airway.
-Flip the rod around in the vise and drill a 1/16" pilot hole through the back 1/2" to meet the airway.
-Once you trim your tenon to length you'll have a perfectly usable blank to make any stem you desire!

That's the easy part. Shaping a good stem is the hard part. Once you get to that point I'd be more than willing to help you out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Making pipe stems from rod stock   Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:46 am

Or, I've heard that you can even buy pre-made tobacco pipes from various sources around the world.  Wink rabbit
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Making pipe stems from rod stock   Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:56 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
....... And a great wailing and gnashing of teeth, cries of frustration, disappointment and discouragement echoing off the mountain tops were heard.

Mate, I swear I heard you here in the 'shire.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://stickballard.wixsite.com/blog

Making pipe stems from rod stock
Page 1 of 1