HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sid.Stavros

Sid.Stavros

Registration date : 2015-08-05

Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. Empty
PostSubject: Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.   Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 5:40 am

Stanwell S.Bang, due to an accident i make her rustic

Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. 223433927b1e408564429383d482020e3f784e5b

and i thought it would look better with new colour, band plus a new mouthpiece so now looks like this:

Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. 22343391c948297b507ac7e25873db0b86506e8e

You can see the procedure here:
http://pipe-smoke.blogspot.gr/2010/02/6.html
Look for pipe M6-6

You can also see the procedure in a video with slide show photos plus music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpC3Uzk-G4g

Ladies and Gentlemen thank you for watching!
Back to top Go down
http://pipe-smoke.blogspot.gr/
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.   Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 7:44 am

It is your pipe and you are certainly free to do with it as you wish. Having said that, I don't understand why you did this.

Stanwell, and the consumer, paid extra money for a pipe that replicates a S. Bang. Their shape, their two color finish, their characteristic black stem, etc, are what made this a Stanwell S Bang. When you change those you destroy the entire idea behind the pipe... and decrease the perceived value.
Back to top Go down
Sid.Stavros

Sid.Stavros

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.   Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 4:28 pm

I said it clearly, "due to an accident". Cool
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.   Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 4:32 pm

Sid.Stavros wrote:
I said it clearly, "due to an accident". Cool

Well stated, Sid. PB is a well-known trouble-maker on this here site, and I commend you on your restraint.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.   Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 7:12 pm

Sid, happy to see you could give this a facelift in view of its accident, whatever that was. And what a superb job it turned out to be! You clearly have a fine touch there amigo. Love the contrast of the stem finish against the stain for the strummel. And the band really sets it all off. Bravo!

cheers

Cheers,

RR

Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. Purple11x 3Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. Bombx10Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. Bombx10  Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. D6bddf10 Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. Cowboy13Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.   Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 8:21 pm

For a factory cut pipe that's a great shape. I have the Stanwell S Bang bent Rhodesian and it too is an excellent pipe. I believe they made 3 or 4 shapes with that S Bang plate on the pipe. Seems these days the great shapes are rather dumbed down with softened lines, I assume for ease of reproduction. Nice to see some of the great designs survive mass production.

It is a pity you broke it, but at least you salvaged it. Probably smokes just fine.

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.   Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 8:56 pm

I personally really like the colour scheme. My favorite colour is cabernet. The curves are also pleasing to the eye. I like to think stepping away from some traditions are healthy, and, well, interesting. Interesting is good!
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.   Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 11:26 pm

Sure Ozzie, if you aren't paying for those 'traditions' in the first place.
And contrary to Richards unjust accusation I asked a legitimate question.
I'm not even saying that the end result doesn't look nice, it does. But to me its like wrecking a Camero SS, painting it Plum Crazy and putting a SRT Hellcat badge on it.
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.   Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 1:28 am

puros_bran wrote:
Sure Ozzie, if you aren't paying for those 'traditions' in the first place.
And contrary to Richards unjust accusation I asked a legitimate question.  
I'm not even saying that the end result doesn't look nice, it does.     But to me its like wrecking a Camero SS, painting it Plum Crazy and putting a SRT Hellcat badge on it.    

Sorry, PB--I thought wiseassery was allowed. Great analogy of yours if the pipe was "virgin," but the make-over was necessitated by damage, apparently. Not too apparent, however: I see no damage in either the video or blog entry. Wish I had retained all the pipes of mine that met with an "accident." Snapped tenon city, man.
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.   Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 2:06 am

Oh, it was broke.. That's why he did it.. Derp, what was I thinking.

Or.

I understood it was broken, he stated that from the get go. I thought I was clear but apparently not. That's why I reiterated what I was saying with the analogy about a WRECKED CAR. I'm asking why he did not restore it to what it was or at least some semblance of what it was.

Pick whichever makes you more comfortable. I'm going back to the special needs home. At least they understand me there.
Back to top Go down
Sid.Stavros

Sid.Stavros

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.   Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 6:21 am

Thank you Gentlemen for your kindly comments, these give me courage to go on.
cheers

puros_bran wrote:
But to me its like wrecking a Camero SS, painting it Plum Crazy and putting a SRT Hellcat badge on it.    

I show my restored-repaired pipes in 10 pipe smoking forums and the only negative comments was yours.Ok it's your opinion but i want to ask you something:

Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. 22347025c0e43590ccb28bb5d3eeb10a6f006129

If i was posting the above pipe, [forget the burned rim] what you would say about the rustic work?
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.   Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 6:45 am

Where did I give a negative comment?   I'm pretty sure if you scroll back up and read the sentence prior to the one you quoted you will see what I said about the pipe itself.

I asked why you didn't restore it to what it was, because I don't understand paying for the S Bang style and then changing it.  You still haven't answered that.

If you interpret someone asking a question instead of just mindlessly singing your praise, I suppose it's best if I just cease attempting to communicate with you.

Last edited by puros_bran on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed it.)
Back to top Go down
Sid.Stavros

Sid.Stavros

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.   Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 4:01 pm

puros_bran wrote:

I asked why you didn't restore it to what it was, because I don't understand paying for the S Bang style and then changing it.  You still haven't answered that.

Although was in my first sentence here is the answer for second time: I said it clearly, "due to an accident".. If you have checked my collection you could see some S.Bang pipes with only tine changes.

Quote :
If you interpret someone asking a question instead of just mindlessly singing your praise, I suppose it's best if I just cease attempting to communicate with you.

English isn't my mother language, i learn them by books, i am self taught.I am a hobbyist, i don't have any professional equipment and i work standing upright in a small balcony so don't judge me as a pro pipe maker.

Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. 22347025c0e43590ccb28bb5d3eeb10a6f006129

I am asking you again: If i was posting the above pipe, [forget the burned rim] what you would say about the rustic work?
Back to top Go down
allyby

allyby

Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.   Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 5:10 pm

Go get him Sid! lol!
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.   Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 5:57 pm

I understand it was an accident. I've said that 4 times.. I was originally just curious Why you chose to go the route you did instead of restoring it to its original design. I don't even care anymore, It's clear you can't comprehend what I'm asking and you keep wanting to accuse me of negativity and being judgmental.

Allby, that's a real good way to get your account deleted. lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sid.Stavros

Sid.Stavros

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.   Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis. EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 4:53 am

puros_bran wrote:
I was originally just curious Why you chose to go the route you did instead of restoring it to its original design.

Due to an accident the pipe couldn't be smooth as in original condition.  

Quote :
It's clear you can't comprehend what I'm asking and you keep wanting to accuse me of negativity and being judgmental.

http://img5.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/22347/22347025c0e43590ccb28bb5d3eeb10a6f006129.jpg

So i am asking you again: If i was posting the above pipe, [forget the burned rim] what you would say about the sandblast work?
Back to top Go down

Stanwell S.Bang metamorphosis.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: