HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

How dry?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: How dry?   Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:10 pm

I popped the lid, again, on a quart jar of Dark Flake Aro that Pipetongue sent (along with several pounds of other blends) before he passed. Ole boy knew it was coming. Hell of a man. It's dryer than I like it. It's not the storage, every time I open it I say the same thing. Pipetongue smokes his tobacco just shy of crispy.

How dry do you smoke compared to samples and what not other guys have sent you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: How dry?   Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:24 pm

The samples I get from others sent in sandwich bags are usually crispy. I can't say I enjoy crispy and don't smoke anywhere near that moisture level, especially Burley. VA flakes can seem dry but when rubbed out they're okay.
The last samples of ribbon cut VAs I got were only in the mail 2 days and were drier than a popcorn fart, so I've learned some guys either enjoy them that way or they're unloading them on me. 5)

One thing I learned from shooting black powder is blowing down the barrel after firing to get some moisture to the residue. Makes clean up easier. This also works for crispy tobacco. Blowing down the bowl after loading gets some moisture to it. (mountain man trivia tip)

Pipetongue knew his tobacco and how he liked it, and to each his own, but crispy doesn't work for me.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: How dry?   Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:24 am

mark wrote:

One thing I learned from shooting black powder is blowing down the barrel after firing to get some moisture to the residue. Makes clean up easier. This also works for crispy tobacco. Blowing down the bowl after loading gets some moisture to it. (mountain man trivia tip)

John Patton recommended this for dry tobacco and I do it from time to time. It works very well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Vito

PostSubject: Re: How dry?   Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:04 am

I like my tobacco on the dry side (GLP gets it right for most), but crispy? No way. If I load up and it's too dry, I breathe (exhale) through the bowl until the tobacco is soft. For really dry tobacco, it takes many breaths to rehydrate the weed to the point where it's smokable.

Of course, it's best to never let the weed get too dry in the first place. That's why storing it in airtight containers is essential. For me, that means glass jars and screw-top lids with a Plastisol seal.

I'm surprised that Ken's weed is dry if he was storing it in jars. Maybe he let it dry out on purpose. There is an effect that I call "dry aging", wherein tobacco is stored in a container that isn't completely airtight. It loses its moisture but still retains much of its flavor and aroma.

I don't do the dry aging thang myself, but I have bought "sealed tins" that had never been opened, but whose contents had nonetheless dried out because the seal wasn't airtight. I always rehydrate those weedages. It takes a few days. Very dry tobacco has a lot of surface tension, and doesn't absorb water quickly. It always takes more time and less water than you think.

I participated in a box pass...once. Never again. I concluded that either most of the other participants either liked their weed crispy-dry, or else they didn't know how to store it. Goll dang farging plastic bags...aros next to English blends and Ginnyweeds...aaarrrggghhh!!!  Evil or Very Mad

Plastic bags are for sandwiches, not pipeweed.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: How dry?   Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:00 pm

My rule of thumb for smoking pipeweed is, once rubbed out or otherwise removed from storage vessel and laid out to smoke, the tobacco should not stick together when a pinch is grabbed and then let go. If it sticks together it's not dry enough to smoke yet. It should just fall apart naturally, yet not be what you'd really call dry.

Unless bulk tobacco comes exceedingly moist I store it in mason jars a tad on the damp side. I don't dry it first because I expect it may lose a little moisture over time, even with the seal, and it often does.

I recently got some C&D cubed burley from someone who was selling off various things, it was so dry it was basically good for nothing but the bin. Just a couple weeks ago I got some Stokkebye Dark Fired burley from an online retailer along with some other tobaccos. It was so dry it was crispy. I'm told it comes that way, but I'm not too happy with it.

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: How dry?   Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:40 pm

[quote="Puff Daddy"]My rule of thumb for smoking pipeweed is, once rubbed out or otherwise removed from storage vessel and laid out to smoke, the tobacco should not stick together when a pinch is grabbed and then let go. If it sticks together it's not dry enough to smoke yet. It should just fall apart naturally, yet not be what you'd really call dry.

Unless bulk tobacco comes exceedingly moist I store it in mason jars a tad on the damp side. I don't dry it first because I expect it may lose a little moisture over time, even with the seal, and it often does.

PD...ya' took da' woids right outta' my mout!!! Ya' done good Very Happy cheers FTRPLT

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: How dry?   Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:08 pm

ftrplt wrote:
PD...ya' took da' woids right outta' my mout!!! Ya' done good Very Happy  cheers FTRPLT

I been payin attention to you old fellers Wink

puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: How dry?   Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:41 pm

Stuffs been in mason jars for 13-20 years depending on which batch. It's not loss from baggies.

I usually just cold smoke it for awhile after packing. Seems like we are always north of 90% humidity. Takes care of the situation.
Then again some I just smoke dry. Fast burning dark flake make the craving voices shut the hell up in very short order. Lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: How dry?   Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:42 pm

pb: Nah...I wasn't implying that the weed you got from Ken was in baggies. I was just taking the opportunity to indulge myself with a rant about the perils of participating in a box pass where no minimum ground rules have been established for the care and handling of the weedage therein.

I actually thought about starting a box pass with such sensible ground rules (everything in jars, sealed tins, or other hermetically sealed packaging)...oh, and intelligent packaging for the box too. The one that came to me was falling apart, stuff rolling around loose inside, flaps barely closed. It was inconsiderate at best, and completely clueless at worst. But ultimately I decided not to start such a box pass. There will always be people who don't give a sh*t, or think the rules don't apply to them.

Anyhow, GawHogg's Dark Flake Aro isn't particularly moist stuff to begin with...at least not the stuff I've purchased in the past. And there's always the possibility of moisture loss in the way the vendor stored it. And as you said, Ken apparently like his weed dry anyway, so maybe he dried it some before jarring it.

But you're right. Any weedage will automatically hydrate itself when you smoke it if the ambient humidity in the air is high enough. Still, I prefer to use the Breathe Some Life Into It™ method if I load up with some weed that's drier than I like.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: How dry?   Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:36 pm

I'm a self confessed individual who prefers his weedage on the dry side. Not crispy. It's what works for me. So I normally dry most of what I get.

The only exceptions would something like PS LBF, LTF, or LNF. That's a benchmark for the perfect moisture level for me.

Some of the McC staight 'ginny flakes are pretty close to the ideal too. Can't be bothered to figure out which ones, but pretty much all of them. Yet I do dry these a bit first.

Sammy G's line are generally waaaaaay too moist. FVF the worst offender, BBF less so. Very tricky to get a good experience with these, but I think I have BBF mostly figured out. FVF, not so much.

And so it goes...........

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
AlphaWarrior

Registration date : 2015-10-19

PostSubject: Rehydrating   Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:24 pm

I just rehydrated some crispy stash with bread. Put it in a big jar with a slice of bread for a day, worked perfectly. Learned this from Public Piper on youtube.

With the moistness,
AW
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: How dry?   Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:06 am

The relative humidity here is usually quite low. High plains desert and all I'd guess avg would be 40%. Things in bags get quite crispy in a matter of days. My preference is when you pinch some tobacco together it should hold together for 1-2 seconds before it falls apart. Every sample I've gotten in bags has been pretty dry. Nothing however has been so dry I haven't been able to smoke it by huffing some moisture into it by blowing through the bowl for a bit. I've found that if it goes straight into a jar it usually will even out to a smokeable moisture level. The outside gets dry as hell but the center of the leaf must still have some residual moisture. Just my observations.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

How dry?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: