HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Annoying pop-up.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Annoying pop-up.   Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:16 pm

Starting yesterday, when replying to a post or opening a new thread I frequently get a pop-up that covers the whole page wanting me to install something called email defend for free. There is no way to decline this.

When I try and use the back arrow to get back to the page I was on there is only two tabs to click - one saying stay on the page and the other to leave. When clicking on the leave option it returns to that pop-up.The only recourse is to close the BoB tab and then open it again.

I'm highly suspicious of this. Anyone else getting it?

No Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:19 pm

And just now after I submitted this thread, instead of it returning to the posted thread I was redirected to another suspicious pop-up. No other sites I use do this.

WTF is going on here?!

No

No Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:40 pm

Wow, that doesn't sound good. Sounds like a phish. I'm not seeing it on my end(yet)...... I used to know what to do, but I am so last year............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:46 pm

OK, so a brief google search told me that the pop-ups I'm seeing are not to be trusted. Looks like many are having this issue. But the salient thing is this - I've never had this kind of problem ever - and am left wondering if this is related to seeing the banner ads on the tops of the pages here which started a while back and are now getting more aggressive. As I've said, they don't seem to be a factor on any other board or my email, for right now anyway.

The googled info deals mainly with how to get rid of it once it's installed, which I haven't done. All I'm interested in right now is how to block it and the related pop-ups. And the scant info has to do with mainly MS OS and browser, which I don't have.

Guess I need to take this to my local geek to see what he has to say. Any words of wisdom from anyone?

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:47 pm

It is an Adware program. It has hijacked your browser and pointed it to a new DNS server. So you are getting plenty of ads and the party responsible is getting traffic hits from you. That's money in their pocket. They may also have access to your financial info.

It may not be a simple removal. I use SpyBot on my Windows 10 machine. But it is not intuitive. It may require research to completely get rid of it. I would hesitate to download more removal programs that you may not be familiar with. But you will have to do something. Perhaps going back to a earlier system backup may fix it. Maybe not.

Sorry, not more help. That is not one I have had to get rid of.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:54 pm

Ugh, Carlos may be right.... Going back to restore points suck....

Wait, wait, I'm editing! If you could delete the browser and reinstall it, would that remove the issue?
Best wishes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:26 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Ugh, Carlos may be right.... Going back to restore points suck....

Wait, wait, I'm editing! If you could delete the browser and reinstall it, would that remove the issue?
Best wishes!

It has edited the registry. So it has to be repaired. Getting rid of the browser will not repair it.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:32 pm

This is waaay beyond my simple means of understanding. I'll be contacting my geek.

No Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:43 pm

You could roll back to a prior restore point. Your data will remain as it is, only the system files will be altered, any Windows Updates installed after the restore point will need to be reinstalled.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:09 am

For a day or so I've been getting redirects to the sportsbet app on the apple store whenever I load or reload a page on BoB on my phone. Not sure if this has anything to do with BD's problem or not but it's annoying me no end.

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:00 am

Pretty sure Carlos has nailed this one right on the head.

Carlos (and others) - your thoughts on Webroot? It's been my go-to security software for a number of years and it seems to have kept all of these problems at bay...so my experience teaches me that it's a good program for the everyday protection, but not sure if it'd be totally effective in rooting out a problem once it's taken hold.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:18 am

I'm also getting an adware on my home computer about 1 in 10 times I login here, allegedly for flash player.  How does one do the restore suggested?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:18 am

DrT999 wrote:
I'm also getting an adware on my home computer about 1 in 10 times I login here, allegedly for flash player.  How does one do the restore suggested?

In Windows, go to your control panel and in the upper right there is a text box where you can type in 'restore'(no quotation marks). The next window, third line down (in 7) says 'system'. Top of the list is the link to restoring your system from any saved restore point. Follow the directions and the OS will take care of the problem, or not. Each restore point is listed by date and what action (update, manual) prompted the creation of said restore point.

Another option is starting the computer in safe mode and doing the same thing.

This thread reminds me I should update my cloned drives, as I seldom keep any but the most recent manually created restore points. I've found on most of the PCs I've worked on that is the biggest culprit of wasted disc space. When I allow something vile in my computer, I am more inclined to trade hard drives and update, then format the questionable drive and clone the replacement drive, pop it in an envelope with a date on it, and hope I don't need it. Well, until next time.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:34 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
DrT999 wrote:

In Windows, go to your control panel and in the upper right there is a text box where you can type in 'restore'(no quotation marks). The next window, third line down (in 7) says 'system'. Top of the list is the link to restoring your system from any saved restore point. Follow the directions and the OS will take care of the problem, or not. Each restore point is listed by date and what action (update, manual) prompted the creation of said restore point.

This thread reminds me I should update my cloned drives, as I seldom keep any but the most recent manually created restore points. I've found on most of the PCs I've worked on that is the biggest culprit of wasted disc space. When I allow something vile in my computer, I am more inclined to trade hard drives and update, then format the questionable drive and clone the replacement drive, pop it in an envelope with a date on it, and hope I don't need it. Well, until next time.........  

Thanks! I'll give it a try when I get home
Back to top Go down
ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:02 pm

Malware Bytes should find it. https://www.malwarebytes.org/trial/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:22 pm

ZeroContent wrote:

MB is what I ended up using based on advice from people more knowledgeable than I. Adware/Malware is a bitch to keep off your confuser; most security programs don't cover it. I think I pay $25 bucks a year for the program. You can try the two-week trial version for free. Good luck cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:31 pm

ZeroContent wrote:

This worked for me with something similar; and I just have the free version of MB put there by my computer guy. People who launch malware should be caned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alsmith52

Registration date : 2015-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:40 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
ZeroContent wrote:

This worked for me with something similar; and I just have the free version of MB put there by my computer guy. People who launch malware should be caned.

I second this. I have the system on my computer (after a computer person found 140 malwares onmy computer). It does cost a little aftr the initial free period. While navigating BOB this morning it popped up with a message that it had blocked a couple of malicious malware sites. Good luck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:48 pm

Malware Bytes is, for all intents and purposes, free. The only thing that the pay version gets you is real time monitoring which I never use anyways but you can still manual kick of a full scan. Plus Windows 10 is pretty good on keeping Malware at bay compared to previous versions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:22 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
DrT999 wrote:

Thanks, the fix seems to work so far! Time will tell!
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:34 pm

DrT999, the biggest issue I have with reinfection is that I repeat whatever I did before as a matter of course during my web travels. Malwarebytes wouldn't be a bad idea to install just to nip the next snafu in the bud.... It is good software. I would also recommend Ccleaner from Piriform. It is a utility software that not only clears out browser history and temporary internet files, but has a registry repair, a startup utility, etc. It is freeware, unless you want to upgrade to 'pro'.

FWIW.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:07 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
DrT999, the biggest issue I have with reinfection is that I repeat whatever I did before as a matter of course during my web travels. Malwarebytes wouldn't be a bad idea to install just to nip the next snafu in the bud.... It is good software. I would also recommend Ccleaner from Piriform. It is a utility software that not only clears out browser history and temporary internet files, but has a registry repair, a startup utility, etc. It is freeware, unless you want to upgrade to 'pro'.

FWIW.

True; sometimes I wonder how many programs are needed to prevent such nonsense. . . . apparently at least three (if they actually work together)
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Annoying pop-up.   Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:20 pm

OK, so just now got my 'puter back from the geek. He said the browser hadn't been hyjacked and didn't find anything wrong elsewhere that might be suspicious. He installed Adblock Plus and though this might eliminate the problem.

Right away I'm finally showing no banner ads on the top of this forum, so that's a very good sign it's working.

He thought the obtrusive pop-ups I'd been seeing were probably tied to the banner ads somehow. Let's hope it's all gone once an for all!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down

Annoying pop-up.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1