HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Blood Wood & Peruvian Mahogany Tamper

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Blood Wood & Peruvian Mahogany Tamper   Mon May 09, 2016 8:57 pm

Bottom is Bloodwood, 3 leather spacers, top is Peruvian Mahogany. Gotta admit I'm a little disappointed in this one. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't flush, I usually never have a problem with that.

I do really like the imperfection in the Bloodwood though. It's a natural crack but it looks so cool with the discoloration. I'm debating on whether to sell it or not, I hate that it's not flush but I also hate to waste these two cool pieces of wood.

Last edited by kaitlyn3837 on Mon May 09, 2016 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric Furgeson

Registration date : 2016-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Blood Wood & Peruvian Mahogany Tamper   Mon May 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Nice work!!!! I like the imperfectly perfect. The natural crack adds to the appeal of it as far as I can see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric Furgeson

PostSubject: Re: Blood Wood & Peruvian Mahogany Tamper   Mon May 09, 2016 9:46 pm

Here are some I have been playing around with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: Blood Wood & Peruvian Mahogany Tamper   Mon May 09, 2016 11:10 pm

Eric Furgeson wrote:

Here are some I have been playing around with.

Do you use a lathe with those? Super cool!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: Blood Wood & Peruvian Mahogany Tamper   Mon May 09, 2016 11:14 pm

Eric Furgeson wrote:
Nice work!!!! I like the imperfectly perfect. The natural crack adds to the appeal of it as far as I can see.

I like the natural crack too! It came with the wood and I think it adds a lot of character. Of course, pictures never give the perfect view. In person, it looks wicked cool with the crack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Blood Wood & Peruvian Mahogany Tamper   Mon May 09, 2016 11:33 pm

I enjoy the varying textures you have going on there. Very 'one of a kind'!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric Furgeson

PostSubject: Re: Blood Wood & Peruvian Mahogany Tamper   Mon May 09, 2016 11:39 pm

kaitlyn3837 wrote:
I actually fit the stock into my drill press and us it as a vertical lathe. I shape them with files and sand paper. I am just using cheaper hardwoods, bone, horn, and leather for now until I get a better feel for how I need to approach it. Then I will start to use more exotic woods.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: Blood Wood & Peruvian Mahogany Tamper   Tue May 10, 2016 7:32 am

Eric Furgeson wrote:
kaitlyn3837 wrote:
I actually fit the stock into my drill press and us it as a vertical lathe. I shape them with files and sand paper. I am just using cheaper hardwoods, bone, horn, and leather for now until I get a better feel for how I need to approach it. Then I will start to use more exotic woods.

That's awesome because I use my drill press too. Whatever works, right? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Blood Wood & Peruvian Mahogany Tamper   Tue May 10, 2016 10:07 am

kaitlyn3837 wrote:
Eric Furgeson wrote:
kaitlyn3837 wrote:

That's awesome because I use my drill press too. Whatever works, right? Smile

Drill presses? Lathes? Wow, y'all got some fancy tools there!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Blood Wood & Peruvian Mahogany Tamper   Tue May 10, 2016 1:46 pm

Imperfections have character. Some of the best things in life have a crack 5)  IE: The Libery Bell. cheers

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Blood Wood & Peruvian Mahogany Tamper   Tue May 10, 2016 5:09 pm

I employ a bit of Wabi-Sabi philosophy in my life, and became enamoured with the art of Kintsugi. Though I'm not suggesting you fill the crack with gold, pewter might look pretty cool. Or copper.

So the crack, it works on so many levels!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Blood Wood & Peruvian Mahogany Tamper
Page 1 of 1