HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Suspicious activity

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Suspicious activity   Sat May 14, 2016 8:13 am

I am using an older iPad and running Safari. When I visit BoB (hosted by forumotion) I get none of the pop ups and redirects, but when I visit a different forum also hosted by forumotion using the same iPad I get the pop ups that redirect, rendering the site useless, and I can't do anything to control them other than use a different device (android phone running Chrome browser, which gives me no trouble on that site). This is the thing that leads me to believe that there is something going on with the individual forums, that it may not be a blanket issue on forumotion, and that it may not necessarily be individual devices/Os/browsers. If the issue was malware on my device you'd think it would happen on kinds of websites but it only happens on one forumotion forum, and only with the iPad. I wonder if there isn't some sort of bug embedded on this forum (though a banner ad?) that is designed to attack specific devices, OS's or browsers? Might explain why some have issues and others do not.

This is the question I'd like to see put to the forumotion host administrators, if they can look into possibility that the ads they place on certain forums may be compromising things.

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Suspicious activity   Sat May 14, 2016 9:30 am

Until you mentioned it PD I hadn't noticed that I only visit this site on my old iPhone 6. When I try doing anything here with my actual phone, a Samsung Grand Prime I get the phone opening numerous add windows making navigation of the site difficult and posting almost impossible. I just chalked it up to an idosicrocy with the phone but now you have me wondering.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Suspicious activity   Sat May 14, 2016 12:58 pm

Could someone try to replicate the virus/pop up/etc now?

Not being able to replicate it while trying to fix it is like throwing a dart and hoping it lands somewhere near the target.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Suspicious activity   Sat May 14, 2016 1:04 pm

Good thinking. Unfortunately my daughter is out of town and has my phone with her. So anybody else?

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Suspicious activity   Sat May 14, 2016 4:11 pm

For ads to affect a specific device, would it not be reasonable to assume that the user profiles on this forum, for whatever reason, is treating that specific device as if it were not logged in? Even when the user is logged in.

Is there some kind of setting on those specific devices for anonymously surfing?

Even then, the bots that do check for malware are not seeing any. If an ad was posted with malware it should have shown up on the two checks of the forum I did. They monitor these sites more than all of us combined.

scratch

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Suspicious activity   Sat May 14, 2016 4:24 pm

A couple things to try. These make sense to me as they are settings for a specific device.

Quote :
Where is the ad showing up? Is it in the notification bar? if so, long press on it, and find out which app it is from, and then, either remove that app, or disable notifications from it.

Quote :
i may have found something for this. i just tried it and i have not seen its results due to the recentness of this. try going into google chrome, which i assume you use, (if not try to do something similar) and click the three vertical dots to open the menu, click settings and scroll down to site settings. There should be something that says notifications, make sure that that is on 'Ask First' or 'Blocked' all together, then go down to pop-ups. Here is where i found that although pop-ups were blocked, a website i had visited or something i had clicked, had set itself to be an exception to the blockage of pop-ups. So even though it was blocked, they still appeared on my apps and homescreen. i deleted the exception for pop-up ads and left the setting on 'blocked'. Hopefully this is the resolution to your problem as well as my own.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Suspicious activity   Sat May 14, 2016 4:33 pm

For me it opens new browser windows. Which when you try to leave pops up an "are you sure you want to leave this site" bubble which is a trap that no matter which one you click opens more browser windows. Forcing the program to shut seems to be the only way out of that loop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Suspicious activity   Sat May 14, 2016 5:03 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
For me it opens new browser windows. Which when you try to leave pops up an "are you sure you want to leave this site" bubble which is a trap that no matter which one you click opens more browser windows. Forcing the program to shut seems to be the only way out of that loop.

Javascript problem. There are a few solutions depending upon the OS and browser. A search will get you some options. Here is the easiest.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/internet/are-you-sure-you-want-leave-this-page-3539118/

Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Suspicious activity   Sat May 14, 2016 6:39 pm

Hummm it seems I need to dig a bit deeper as mine is an android phone but I'm sure it's hidden away in the settings somewhere nice and inconvenient lol. Thank you for the push in the right direction.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Suspicious activity
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2