HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward   Tue May 17, 2016 3:40 am

If you are asking me: Everything is still in production.  If you are asking TR.com: 265 are in production.  If you are asking the FDA: Who knows.

The trick is defining 'currently in production'... That's the tricky part with C&D. 1 you can call and order anything they've ever made. Excepting Syrian blends of course.   2. They still list Star of the East as a 'New' blend on their website.  Lol.     What's in production and what's not is more than murky.

Then you have stuff like Star of the east (pre-2007) Star of the east flake (post-2007, I think). But.. Isn't it the same thing?  Is one on the naughty list and the other not?  

{Then a 'Screw all of these asshats'  thought occurs... With C&D's habit of changing the content by 1% and renaming it, what's to stop them & Greg from claiming GLPease Gaslight is just renamed C&D xxxxxx?  I would.  Eff em.  We'd all know better, and the Gov would as well, but prove its not. Lol. }

Anyway, The same murky stuff is going to happen with McClellands, Hearth & Home, Dan, Peter Stokebye (if the same rules apply to imported) etc etc.  
What will the FDA consider as in production.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward   Tue May 17, 2016 1:37 pm

What about older blends that were discontinued but reintroduced after 2007. Dunhill, 3 Nuns, etc. ??

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward   Tue May 17, 2016 7:46 pm

MisterE wrote:
What about older blends that were discontinued but reintroduced after 2007.  Dunhill, 3 Nuns, etc. ??

From what I hear, the companies would have to produce evidence that these blends had been previously sold in the USA to be grandfathered in to the pre-2007 date.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward   Wed May 18, 2016 4:17 am

Here is a tentative list: Post 2007 Tobacco.

I have made it editable by anyone, which I will change eventually. Most of this was done by memory, which is why many of the dates are uncertain. Nevertheless, even though many are missing dates, I am fairly confident they came after 2007. Blends highlighted are uncertain in my mind if they come after the Feb. 2007 cutoff date. The list is anything but complete, which is why you all are able to edit. If you're not willing to mess with the format, just put new additions at the very bottom and I will sort them out.

You will also notice that I left off a lot of reintroduction stuff. For example, Rattray's new additions (Stirling Flake, Buckingham, etc.) are the recipes of other blends with a different name. I am unsure how these will be judged by the FDA, so they were left off the list for now. I also left off everything bulk because I'm assuming most bulks will likely be nixed eventually. You're still more than welcome to add bulks to the mix. I don't smoke many bulks so my knowledge of them is limited.

Lastly, I do not smoke Cornell & Diehl, nor do I keep up with their releases. So, if someone who is more familiar with their stuff and what they've released in recent years, please enlighten us (namely, me) of those blends that fail to meet the Feb. 2007 requirement.

Last edited by joshoowah on Wed May 18, 2016 5:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward   Wed May 18, 2016 5:29 am

Why do you believe most bulks will be nixed?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward   Wed May 18, 2016 5:35 am

puros_bran wrote:
Why do you believe most bulks will be nixed?

It's more of a hunch, I suppose. I'm, of course, assuming all pipe tobacco will have to have proper packaging approved by FDA. Hoping I'm wrong.

The hunch has more or less to do with being able to sale pipe tobacco that is not packaged (kind of like not being able to sell single cigarettes). Yes, you and I see pipe tobacco different than cigarettes, vaping, and even cigars, but I'm not convinced the FDA sees it that way. Thus, I do believe bulk will eventually, probably sooner rather than later, fall by the wayside.

I updated my original post to reflect that assumption.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward   Wed May 18, 2016 8:06 am

I really don't see pipe tobacco different that cigars, cigarettes, chew, dip, Snus.  It's all tobacco use.

I do see ecigs as different.. And I think it was a huge mistake to ever call them e'cigs'.  They aren't tobacco, the primary component used is not tobacco, and the nicotine used is but a small component of tobacco.
Nicotine in and of itself is not carcinogenic. Listing ecigs with known carcinogens is a travesty and it is going to lead to people dying of cancer that otherwise would not have.
Harm reduction doesn't matter to the zealot... "It produces something that looks like smoke and it calms cravings, it must be banned"

Edited in: Ever heard of 'divide and conquer'? When they came for the cigs the rest of the tobacco users should have stood shoulder to shoulder and told them to piss off... Instead everyone hunkers down and says "as long as they aren't bothering my small segment I don't care." Well, everyone cares now. It was delusional to think they wouldn't come for us when they were through ravaging the others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward   Wed May 18, 2016 8:54 am

It looks like Greg's line will be hit particularly hard. Most of my favorite GLP blends fall in the post-'07 category. I'd love to hear his take on it.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward   Wed May 18, 2016 10:03 am

MisterE wrote:
It looks like Greg's line will be hit particularly hard. Most of my favorite GLP blends fall in the post-'07 category. I'd love to hear his take on it.

Same... This also means that there likely would be no new blends from Greg, which in and of itself is saddening. I'd love to hear his thoughts as well. Perhaps he will chime in.

The good news is that most of his stuff come in 8 oz tins at a great price, so it is fairly easy to stock up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward   Wed May 18, 2016 10:35 am

I see Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream is listed. Sigh. That'll be one I need to load up on. Two tins will not a retirement make..... Just tried SPC's Deception pass, and of course it's listed.

I see some grey hair creeping into my sideburns.................
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward   Wed May 18, 2016 10:38 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
I see Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream is listed. Sigh. That'll be one I need to load up on. Two tins will not a retirement make..... Just tried SPC's Deception pass, and of course it's listed.

I see some grey hair creeping into my sideburns.................

I've never had BD from Rattray's, but I have always wanted to try it. The sad part is that Bagpiper's Dream barely misses the mark, as I believe it was released Mar/Apr of 2007. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me so I can adjust the list. All of Seattle Pipe Club's offerings are worth cellaring, in my opinion, Deception Pass included.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward   Wed May 18, 2016 10:43 am

Are we sure Magnum Opus misses the cut? I know the Marquee line is mostly new tobaccos, but I feel like MO has been around for a good while.

Also, does anyone know of a resource that would include release dates for Hearth and Home (Signature Line) or C&D? I don't smoke a lot of their blends, but if worse comes to worst, there are a handful I really do enjoy that I'd want to load up on.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward   Wed May 18, 2016 10:47 am

idbowman wrote:
Are we sure Magnum Opus misses the cut?  I know the Marquee line is mostly new tobaccos, but I feel like MO has been around for a good while.

Also, does anyone know of a resource that would include release dates for Hearth and Home (Signature Line) or C&D?  I don't smoke a lot of their blends, but if worse comes to worst, there are a handful I really do enjoy that I'd want to load up on.

When putting up the initial list, I remembered Magnum O coming out in 2010, or so I thought. I haven't seen anything to discredit that original memory as of yet.. As said, if anyone does find one that is wrong, adjust the list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward   Wed May 18, 2016 11:12 am

Thought of the day... Order the European stuff from European online retailers and have it shipped to Kenya.. Then the whole deal is moot for you.. Plus you could find your mission by bootlegging to us. Lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward   Wed May 18, 2016 11:15 am

puros_bran wrote:
Thought of the day... Order the European stuff from European online retailers and have it shipped to Kenya.. Then the whole deal is moot for you.. Plus you could find your mission by bootlegging to us.  Lol.

I'd be happy to do this if they would actually ship it to Kenya without putting a value on it. Kenyan Customs charges whatever the value is on the package. For instance, a family member buys you a $100 AppleTV as a gift and ships it to you, putting the full value on the customs form; you, then, will pay $100 to get it out of the mail. Maybe you guys can just pay me to do European expeditions. That's doable, yeah? It could be called, "The LORD's Tobacco Enterprise."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward   Wed May 18, 2016 11:29 am

God does love aromatic smoke.. Pretty sure that was the whole point of the Holy of Holies.

I'm going to mail you a package worth -$1,000,000,000. We will split it when they pay you to take your package.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3