HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The US is not alone in sweeping tobacco legislation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: The US is not alone in sweeping tobacco legislation   Thu May 12, 2016 10:26 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The US is not alone in sweeping tobacco legislation   Fri May 13, 2016 7:08 am

And the laughable point is that they actually believe this will have a positive impact on consumers. Warning labels and gross pictures will do jack squat in reality. But the nannies can all pat themselves on their backsides and convince their constituents that they're really doing something in their best interests, and especially for the chillin'.

No Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: The US is not alone in sweeping tobacco legislation   Fri May 13, 2016 11:18 am

Things are getting curiouser and curiouser. At one point, long, long ago, I seem to remember, individuals had a broad scope of activities which were considered matters of personal choice. But now this scope is steadily shrinking as "narratives" change to emphasize the group effects, real and imagined, of private behavior. The current brouhaha re: bathrooms and fuzzing up the idea of gender seems to me to make sense only if it is viewed as another opportunity to get people to accept the idea that we must sacrifice personal privacy for the prevailing group think. The anti- tobacco activists were very successful in recruiting youngsters as enforcers as part of the school health curricula. It seems a bit of an overreach for government to insist that it must deliver its editorial message along with products of which it disapproves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The US is not alone in sweeping tobacco legislation   Fri May 13, 2016 11:55 am

...but if you can't trust the governments of the world, who can you trust?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The US is not alone in sweeping tobacco legislation   Fri May 13, 2016 12:19 pm

I want to Troll but I'm too lazy to think anything up at the moment...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The US is not alone in sweeping tobacco legislation   Fri May 13, 2016 5:31 pm

puros_bran wrote:
I want to Troll but I'm too lazy to think anything up at the moment...

Woah, vertigo!

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The US is not alone in sweeping tobacco legislation   Fri May 13, 2016 7:16 pm

They have got their grubby little hands everywhere now don't they. I have to say standardized packaging would do nothing to deter me nor does the stupid warnings and pretty little pictures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: The US is not alone in sweeping tobacco legislation   Fri May 13, 2016 7:28 pm

Nothing more than a feel good law for the mouth breathers.

Why stop there though? How about a plain packaging law that requires all junk food/fast food to have gross pictures of morbidly obese people on it with all the inevitable effects of heart failure, stroke, clogged arteries, diabetes and leg amputation. That'll soon snap those to attention, won't it!

Idea

And while we're at it let's include any risky behaviour such as riding a motorcycle, skydiving, rock climbing, and the like. Think of all the gross pics that could be required for them! What a windfall for the do-good nannies!!!!

bounce

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The US is not alone in sweeping tobacco legislation   Fri May 13, 2016 7:32 pm

Can hardly wait to see the pics they put on condoms. Eeeew
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: The US is not alone in sweeping tobacco legislation   Fri May 13, 2016 7:34 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
Can hardly wait to see the pics they put on condoms. Eeeew

affraid

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The US is not alone in sweeping tobacco legislation   Fri May 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Having people who like to put their noses in your business is truly international in scope. Shame they have to use the government to enforce their inadequacies. Latest thing in the States is to allow gender different people into the opposite gender's bathrooms/locker rooms. Meaning a boy who identifies himself as a girl is allowed to use the girl's facilities. And it's not a law, just something generated by a political appointee in one of the many bureaucracies. But if the schools don't abide by this non-law they face losing federal school funding. What the courts used to call "blackmail".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The US is not alone in sweeping tobacco legislation   Fri May 13, 2016 9:52 pm

bosun1 wrote:
Having people who like to put their noses in your business is truly international in scope.  Shame they have to use the government to enforce their inadequacies. Latest thing in the States is to allow gender different people into the opposite gender's bathrooms/locker rooms.  Meaning a boy who identifies himself as a girl is allowed to use the girl's facilities.  And it's not a law, just something generated by a political appointee in one of the many bureaucracies. But if the schools don't abide by this non-law they face losing federal school funding.  What the courts used to call "blackmail".

I like to use the word 'extortion'. 'Blackmail' is so Perry Mason.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The US is not alone in sweeping tobacco legislation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1