HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Safety Alert

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Safety Alert   Sun May 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Zippers Are Top Cause of Penile Trauma in US

SAN DIEGO — Zippers are the most frequent cause of penile trauma among adults in the United States, with an estimated 2000 cases each year, according to a presentation here at the American Urological Association 2016 Annual Meeting.

For children, toilet seats are the leading cause, but zippers are "a close second," Lawrence Wyner, MD, a urologist at Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine at Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia, reports in his meeting abstract.

The phenomenon even has its own acronym — ZIRPI, for zipper-related penile injury — and was first described in JAMA in 1936 (1936;107:809).

"Many urologists have seen at least one ZIRPI during their careers," Dr Wyner writes.

Risk factors for ZIRPI include being younger than 18 years and having an uncircumcised or insufficiently circumcised penis. "The contribution of 'going commando' (i.e., sans underwear) remains controversial," he writes.

The contribution of 'going commando' remains controversial.

Dr Wyner's presentation — entitled A Century of Urological Mayhem From Zippers — was part of the History of Urology session.

His efforts did not go unnoticed. "New favorite medical acronym, ZIRPI. See I learned something at #AUA16," tweeted Benjamin Davies, MD, a urologist from the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania (@daviesbj).

The legal world views a penis caught in a zipper as being the fault of the male. "Consumer complaints involving zippers are almost exclusively related to either choking or asphyxiation hazards, and potential litigation involving ZIRPI is generally regarded as frivolous," says Dr Wyner.

A "Separable Fastener"

Although zippers are commonplace today, their uptake was slow.

Nearly 100 years ago, Swedish–American engineer Gideon Sundback obtained a patent in the United States for his improvements to the clasp locker, which was known as an unreliable boot-lacing mechanism. The invention went unnoticed until the B.F. Goodrich company placed the new device, which was called a "separable fastener," on rubber galoshes in 1923. The device was given the "catchy onomatopoetic name" of zipper at that time, says Dr Wyner.

For the next decade, zippers were reserved for footwear and tobacco pouches. Aldous Huxley, in his famed 1923 novel Brave New World, even satirized zippers.

Things dramatically changed in the mid-1930s, when British royalty began wearing zippered trousers and the fashion took hold.

Dr Wyner reports that Sundback and his zipper company, eventually known as the Hookless Fastener Company, had "some reservations about possible genital mishaps from its creation."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric Furgeson

Registration date : 2016-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Sun May 22, 2016 7:09 pm

Been there. Not once but twice. First time in grade school second time in my late teens. Have hated the stupid things ever since. When my wife was complaning about her bra pinching her one day I replied "at least it won't scar you for life like other things will." After the explaination I have never her complain about them again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Sun May 22, 2016 7:35 pm

Sounds terrible!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Sun May 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Yes, on several occasions in my younger days being in too much of a hurry.
Nowadays I've learned to slow down and make sure to stuff it back in fully before zipping beings I haven't
worn underwear in over 25 years. Wink As most of you know, zipping in is bad enough but, zipping it out is even worse. 5)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Eric Furgeson

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Sun May 22, 2016 7:59 pm

Not to mention being a little boy in kindergarden and being embarrased to tell your teacher you can not get the zipper back down. I went over half the day that way untill I got home and asked my Mom for help. WORST day EVER!!!! Second time I was drunk so I will own that one but the first time is on those evil devices of pain and mutelation!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Sun May 22, 2016 8:27 pm

I've done it as a young lad. And it will leave a small scar. I'd post photos, but I can't get the light right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Sun May 22, 2016 9:02 pm

They need to ban zippers. It's clear they are a source of sorrow and the typical citizen should not be entrusted with such dangerous implements. 2nd amendment rights be damned! Ban them now..

Founding member of the Million Man March, PAG (parents against zippers), and the National Asaugugation United Against Zippers Use Amoung Inner City Minority Males.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Sun May 22, 2016 9:14 pm

puros_bran wrote:
...They need to ban zippers. It's clear they are a source of sorrow and the typical citizen should not be entrusted with such dangerous implements.

I quit wearing pants years ago for this very reason. If anyone bitches, I just slap on a skirt and prance away into the sunset.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Sun May 22, 2016 9:31 pm

Just remember which bathroom to use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric Furgeson

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Sun May 22, 2016 9:38 pm

puros_bran wrote:
They need to ban zippers. It's clear they are a source of sorrow and the typical citizen should not be entrusted with such dangerous implements. 2nd amendment rights be damned!  Ban them now.

Bring back buttons and velcro!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Mon May 23, 2016 5:15 am

Eric Furgeson wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
They need to ban zippers. It's clear they are a source of sorrow and the typical citizen should not be entrusted with such dangerous implements. 2nd amendment rights be damned!  Ban them now.

Bring back buttons and velcro!!!!!!!

I wore button fly for years but, truthfully the button holes wear out before the britches do and your constantly checking your front door for drafts. Wink
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Mon May 23, 2016 8:25 am

There is FAR more personal information provided here than site protocol allows. Razz

View user profile Online
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Tue May 24, 2016 8:20 pm

One of the nice things about getting old and fat is you just don't care what other people think. I usually wear sweat pants, and if I have to dress up for a doctor/dentist appointment then its a pair of jeans..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Tue May 24, 2016 9:07 pm

Doesn't anyone wear underwear anymore?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Wed May 25, 2016 12:39 pm

There seems to be a lot of that going around these days
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Wed May 25, 2016 4:41 pm

It still hurts just imagining those times I zipped it too quickly and @#$%€£!!!!! Its been at least 15-20 years, but the pain memory is still fresh. Mad

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Wed May 25, 2016 5:20 pm

Perhaps PTZD is a real thing afterall
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Wed May 25, 2016 6:06 pm

You wacky Brits have a lot to answer for!

jocolor

True story (while we're on the subject)-

Back when I was teaching guitar lessons in the music store in the late 60's, we instructors all had our own private cubicles. My buddy Mike I had recommended for an instructor had a cubicle next to mine. He was a great guitarist btw, and was way better than I was.  

So one night when I didn't have a student and I heard him practising alone in the next cubicle, I went in to hear what he was doing.

Upon entering his cubicle, I saw him doing a be-bop number that was very engaging. But my attention was immediately drawn to one flaw-

He had a hole in his trousers, and it was apparent that he had gone commando -

His testicle was bulging out of his trousers, all red and blue with the veins sticking out! I was immediately grossed out and retreated without commenting!

Shocked

He either knew and didn't care, or didn't know..........although I couldn't understand how he didn't!!   Embarassed

I only hoped his next student didn't see this as it was gross beyond belief!

Mad

No Cheers,  pale

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Wed May 25, 2016 6:24 pm

5)

Why this thread has not been moved to the asylum, I may never understand.........

Great stuff........ lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Wed May 25, 2016 6:45 pm

Okay! 5) TMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!affraid
This thread has gone just a bit too far for me. Bye All!
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Thu May 26, 2016 4:08 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
5)

Why this thread has not been moved to the asylum, I may never understand.........

Great stuff........ lol!

It's not religious,political, or whatever.. And no one is crying about it.

Cart just checked out in his Levi's 501 Blues.

On the original topic.. I guess there's high points to being in pjs 51 of 60 days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Safety Alert   Thu May 26, 2016 6:11 am

WE HAVE A BLEEDER!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Safety Alert
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1